BITD Class Vote on turbos

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
I understand what your are saying George. No matter what, someone is getting screwed and someone is getting an advantage. But everyone that has built a car knows that eventually it would be obsolete anyway. The guys that started with rhinos understood that, the guys with 800s, then 900s, and if you didn't realize that with the current crop of 1000s you're in for disappointment anyway. Progress will happen. Its just that in order to keep costs down in a limited class the progress must be somewhat slowed and at least predictable by the rules being stable. The rules have been made for 2015. Those that played by those rules should still be able to play, even if it is a disadvantage to someone like my team that is building a 2015 car that some are considering obsolete by engine standards AND IT IS STILL THE YEAR 2015!!! Whatever yours or my opinion is about turbos and the cars already built, there needs to be a commitment to rule stability. Besides those turbo cars already running are going to be old news in a year or 2 anyway even if the class goes NA only except for the grandfathered cars. There is a lot of improvements this class can make within the rules that has nothing to do with which engine can be used. Wait and see.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I disagree it's inevitable someone going to have an advantage. There isn't room for another class then turbos have to move to unlimited or you won't have a viable NA class. You'll have turbos in both classes. The more you consider the options after a fundamentally flawed blunder to allow turbos the more it becomes obvious it's a case of defending the indefensible. That's why one person should never rule the roost .....to protect against bad decisions like this. God knows I've had my share of bad ideas but someone was always there to object!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
This class better pull their heads out of their asses and get organized.

On a side note, I'm curious how Cory will penalize his team for their fist fight altercation in Pit 7 directly in front of BLM / Rangers & BITD officials??? I wonder if BITD will be penalizing them?

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
It sure seems like there has been a general changing of opinions since last September where over 1/2 of the people responding to a Joey D. poll were for letting the new turbos race in the 1900 production class. It sure seems like that approval rating has dropped significantly, based on current comments in these forums.

Where Class Should The Turbo Maverick Race In?

1. Let them race with current UTVs (1000cc)
    44 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Create new class just for Turbo / Supercharger
    14 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Create or Run them in an Unlimited Class
    25 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. *
    Other (post your suggestion)
    3 vote(s)
    3.5%

http://www.utvunderground.com/forum...k-affect-utv-racing.15968/page-13#post-169103

Although Cory claims he doesn't go on the underground anymore (sure you don't Cory, and I drink milk for breakfast), he was active here at the time of this poll, and the poll says that the majority of responders agreed that the turbos should be allowed to race with the pro UTV 1900 class. Because the poll was not set up to assure that only racers replied, the results may not be indicative of current overall team opinions. (for the record, I was one of only 3 that voted for option #4)

Just wanted to remind you all what we felt in the beginning, when the foundation of the class began shaking.

Reactions: JoeyD23

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
It sure seems like there has been a general changing of opinions since last September where over 1/2 of the people responding to a Joey D. poll were for letting the new turbos race in the 1900 production class. It sure seems like that approval rating has dropped significantly, based on current comments in these forums.

44 vote(s)
    51.2%
    14 vote(s)
    16.3%
    25 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. *
    3 vote(s)
    3.5%

http://www.utvunderground.com/forum...k-affect-utv-racing.15968/page-13#post-169103

Although Cory claims he doesn't go on the underground anymore (sure you don't Cory, and I drink milk for breakfast), he was active here at the time of this poll, and the poll says that the majority of responders agreed that the turbos should be allowed to race with the pro UTV 1900 class. Because the poll was not set up to assure that only racers replied, the results may not be indicative of current overall team opinions. (for the record, I was one of only 3 that voted for option #4)

Just wanted to remind you all what we felt in the beginning, when the foundation of the class began shaking.

Majority of the people voting to allow them to race in the current class were either CanAm fans, Polaris haters, and non racers.

And not to sound like an arrogant prick, but read that thread... I told ya'll so! #CanOfWorms

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
But to be fair the turbo guys back then had no other place to race or a level playing field to compete on. And the Can am was not the big of an increase in power. Maybe 10%. Now the Can Am has competition with Polaris and Polaris upped the annie with a 30% jump on HP.

I think you let the turbo guys finish the season and next year they have their own points system where all the new cars and models get to run. If some one with turbo car actually thought the running of a turbo car in a NA class was a long term solution, you need to pull your head out of the sand.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Wait until the new Yamaha shows up with a clutch, belt less transmission and multiple gears.
Uh, say what?

Not that its that much of a secret...

Question, so when the turbo cars get kicked out of Pro will they start in front of or behind Pro?
Just curious, so glad I didnt start our build yet.

Last edited:

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
Hypothetically speaking here.....

What about this scenario?

Yamaha and/or Arctic cat release a SXS/UTV that is under 1000cc (999), naturally aspirated making 150hp +, and belt driven similar to current cars. Its going to be all good to race that in the current Pro Production 1000 class in BITD, right? No one can complain with that because it falls into all the rules, just makes a reliable 150Hp out of 3 cylinders..... Am I way out of the ball park here or does this vehicle need its own class as well? I can't wait to have 5 classes with 10 cars in each class. I started racing BITD because if i wanted to be the best i had to race against the best

Branden

Reactions: shane88

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Yamaha and/or Arctic cat release a SXS/UTV that is under 1000cc (999), naturally aspirated making 150hp +, and belt driven similar to current cars. Its going to be all good to race that in the current Pro Production 1000 class in BITD, right? No one can complain with that because it falls into all the rules, just makes a reliable 150Hp out of 3 cylinders..... Am I way out of the ball park here or does this vehicle need its own class as well? I can't wait to have 5 classes with 10 cars in each class. I started racing BITD because if i wanted to be the best i had to race against the best

Branden
Why would that machine needs its own class??? I don't get it? That would fall right inline with what's out there now. The rules aren't based on HP or how many cylinders it has.

Now, if a new Yamaha comes with a manual / non-cvt transmission then that could spawn more debate. This is why their needs to be a class committee that establishes how these new machines get integrated in a way that's best for the class.

Reactions: COGNITO

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009

Branden
An r1 makes 180 + hp, it's 1000 cc, it hasn't beaten the podium of pro utv in over 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Johnny

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
Why would that machine needs its own class??? I don't get it? That would fall right inline with what's out there now. The rules aren't based on HP or how many cylinders it has.

Now, if a new Yamaha comes with a manual / non-cvt transmission then that could spawn more debate. This is why their needs to be a class committee that establishes how these new machines get integrated in a way that's best for the class.
I was being sarcastic about being excited about another class.

The point i was trying to make was that no one is going to complain if another manufacture comes out with a 150hp+ production SXS as long as its not forced induction? I just don't understand why everyone is mad about a forced induction vehicle with 144hp racing in the pro production 1000 class, vs a production SXS with 150hp racing in the pro production 1000 class.

Does that make sense now?

Reactions: shane88 and JoeyD23

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
An r1 makes 180 + hp, it's 1000 cc, it hasn't beaten the podium of pro utv in over 2 years.
I agree, but that is in an outdated chassis with 2wd. All I'm trying to say is what happens when a manufacture comes out with a 999cc that has similar suspension, chassis, and 4wd to our current race vehicles but with 150+hp and naturally aspirated.... No one will comp[lain that its racing pro production 1000 because its N/A correct?

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I was being sarcastic about being excited about another class.

The point i was trying to make was that no one is going to complain if another manufacture comes out with a 150hp+ production SXS as long as its not forced induction? I just don't understand why everyone is mad about a forced induction vehicle with 144hp racing in the pro production 1000 class, vs a production SXS with 150hp racing in the pro production 1000 class.

Does that make sense now?
That is the problem cory has, you start splitting class and 1 or 2 classes will fall. Ex look at the unlimited class and sportsman class nobody races them maybe a handful of people and these classes have been there for years. You have to find a way to keep up car count or a way to increase car count and have manufacters battle to keep the big money there. Look at class 6100 they would love to have other manufacter in there imagine a Toyota/ford/chevy battle for best in the desert. Right now/ I ment 2016 you can have Polaris/arcticat/can am/Yamaha battle for best in the desert. Question is will 2 of the 4 bitch and complain because of forced induction or will 2 of them say keep up with the times? BITD/UTVRA can make this huge next year but will they?

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas

44 vote(s)
    51.2%
    14 vote(s)
    16.3%
    25 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. *
    3 vote(s)
    3.5%

Yeah my grandmother voted in this survey between bingo hands. Geez this is a racer survey really?

NIKAL

May 13, 2012

Yamaha's 998cc, 113 hp, 5 speed manual is here!

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2016/yamaha_sv_um0040280_998.pdf

So now what???

Reactions: Bret901

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000