"Build Threads".. you've got to be kidding

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Am I the only one who vomits in their mouth when they go to other forums (yea, you know the forum) and see "build threads" whereby someone's bolted on a bunch of aluminum bling and other useless non-sense crap they've purchased (or been given) and think they've actually accomplished a one of a kind, state of the art, unique and amazing "build" ?? And then it gets worse when you see 15 F-ing pages of Hi 5's and a$$lickers who congratulate the OP on their magnificent "build". :rolleyes:

paulk

Jun 11, 2013
Peoria, Az
I hear that,, while I bolt on a cage and some accessories, I never call it a build, there just some add ons.

Have even had some compliment my "build" when just showing another forum member a pic for reference

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
LOL.. Yea, I have nothing NOTHING against bolt ons and people making their rides whatever they want. But when you start a "build" thread... to me it's not "building" when you took your crescent wrench and Phillips screwdriver out and bolting some junk shifter bling and cool looking cup holders on or whatever else nonsense.

I know it's not a big deal in scheme of things... but it's pet peeve that just irritates me.

Yea, I should get over it right ? lol #rant over

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Am I the only one who vomits in their mouth when they go to other forums (yea, you know the forum) and see "build threads" whereby someone's bolted on a bunch of aluminum bling and other useless non-sense crap they've purchased (or been given) and think they've actually accomplished a one of a kind, state of the art, unique and amazing "build" ?? And then it gets worse when you see 15 F-ing pages of Hi 5's and a$$lickers who congratulate the OP on their magnificent "build". :rolleyes:

I love this post. lol

I always wonder why people follow that nonsense. But they do so to each their own I guess.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA

I believe you call that a Pep Boys build! Just missing the "Back Off" mud flaps. Lol

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I feel the same way about some of the UTV race car builds. They have someone build a bumper to bumper cage and then they start bolting on an aftermarket long travel kit.

I expect the average UTV owner who is blinging out their UTV to know little more then how to mount their chrome speedo bezal or shifter handle and call it a custom build.

I spoke to one team and they had no idea what degree their shocks were at. Never cycled the suspension, said they had 18" of travel, because thats what the kit said they would get. They had no idea how much more bump steer they got by adding the longer arms. They did not even know what bump steer really was or how to check it. They said I called, ordered the kit and bolted it on. Now it's a race car.

I get not everyone is Reid "Badassmav" and knows how to fab. But if your just buying your "race car" parts and bolting them on, then is your build anymore impressive or more of a build then the Chrome Speedo Bezel guy?

Beach Leo

Way-Good
Mar 6, 2011
Mt Shasta & Mt Diablo
I see some bad-ass bolt on builds

Wish I had the money and the time to do a few of em

The majority of builds is prolly just up-grading and bolting on stuff

Not many of us have the time or money to fab one up from the ground up

Wish I did, but I don't

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
I would guess that most race cars today are bolt together. Used to be a time when we built the car from the ground up and fabricated most of the stuff. Now everything from the chassis up is aftermarket. It does save a lot of work though.:p

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Cake Decorators. Like Jesse James calls the Bolt on builders. Lol

FBT

It is a different world we live in.
A "Me Too" world.
There was a time when I'd walk up to a guy at a hot rod gathering and ask the owner of a car about the "build" and he would know everything about it...because he had either done it himself or with a couple of pals.
Now, you see a lot of cars "built" out of a catalog.
The same parts are on most cars, the same billet, etc.
Walk up to a guy at a rod run and ask what steering box he is running today and dds are he won't know.
Same deal in the UTV world.
The aftermarket support is unreal, but the number of guys who are building their own rides is pretty small. It doesn't bother me unless I hear some clown saying he actually fabbed something that I know he got outta some catalog or off the 'net.
I have the welders, the lathe, the mill in my shop. It doesn't take long to ID the pretenders.
Sitting down with a credit card and ordering a bunch of whiz-bang bling does not a builder make.
Does it bother me when people use the term?
Not really. Most people don't know what they don't know...so ya just gotta smile, and ignore 'em. The world is full of pretenders.

Beach Leo

Way-Good
Mar 6, 2011
Mt Shasta & Mt Diablo
Only thing I fab up was my "poor mans" custom junk-yard air intake system

Not done with it yet

Need to Fab up a air scoop to roof, to get the cleaner air

Than just bolt on cage,doors,LT and bingo bango Done!

I think I can tell you how many bolts I used...lol

Magicmantx

Mar 16, 2013
I build my own cages,bumpers,nerf bars, windshields, light mounts rear window, overhead stereo, and even made my own lighted whips and I still don't do build threads. I didn't build it I just added to it. Unless you start from scratch you didnt build it. Dropping off your demo at the dealership and having them bolt on donated accessories doesnt constitute a build.

sconym

Aug 30, 2012
You guys are funny. Without the so called "build threads", the forums wouldn't nearly be as fun to read. A very small percentage of us actually start from scratch or do motor swaps or ....... I'm on my second Teryx. Didn't start from scratch on either. But both have been down to frame doing suspension and everything else that goes along with the modifications. I do design and build parts and pieces from scratch. Not the whole car tho. And no... I'm not going to rename my build threads as "mod" threads. It's as close as 99.9% of us will ever get to a "build". Sorry... You don't have to read them if you don't like them. I'm going to go play with my build now...

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
You guys are funny. Without the so called "build threads", the forums wouldn't nearly be as fun to read. A very small percentage of us actually start from scratch or do motor swaps or ....... I'm on my second Teryx. Didn't start from scratch on either. But both have been down to frame doing suspension and everything else that goes along with the modifications. I do design and build parts and pieces from scratch. Not the whole car tho. And no... I'm not going to rename my build threads as "mod" threads. It's as close as 99.9% of us will ever get to a "build". Sorry... You don't have to read them if you don't like them. I'm going to go play with my build now...
LOL, I was thinkin the same thing.I was just getting ready to show some pics of my sxs, but decided not to because I didn't hand forge the steel myself,LOL.i have a lot of time in my machine but couldn't possibly do it all myself(time,and knowledge of certain aspects).I guess you have to have a complete machine shop if you want to post on the progress of your sxs improvements.Hell, I don't know shock geometry at all,so it must be a lego land add on .most of us rely on others for outstanding performance and I believe that is what makes the aftermarket thrive.Thats almost like sayin those bad ass videos that utv underground(mad media,) do aren't really all that impressive cause they didn't actually make the cameras.LOL,(and those videos are top notch bad ass)....carry on ...LOL I have to go get my Phillips and crescent and get busy.LOl

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000