Buying a Can-Am Maverick ? Read this first

HutchOven

Apr 2, 2012
I bought my Maverick back in September. With it I got the Can-Am BEST extended warranty.

3 weeks ago I went on a ride with some coworkers. Easy ride just to Big Bear here in California. We went about 100 miles that day all on fire roads. On my way back to the trailer to load up for the day, I was coming around a corner and my passenger rear outer CV decided to snap causing the right rear tire to fall off and shoot off of a cliff. I could not retrieve the tire and wheel. Luckily it was the tire and wheel and not me that went off the cliff.

At this point I was by myself and had no way back to my trailer. I had to drive the maverick back on 3 wheels. I did my best to keep everything off the ground. Removed the shock and ratchet straped the a-arms up.

I dropped the Maverick off at the shop for repairs under warranty. At first Can-Am denied the claim saying I ran into something which caused the CV to snap. So I submitted pictures showing where I broke and it sitting on a flat dirt rode along with multiple other pictures showing the flat dirt road we were on throughout the day. After proving I didn't hit anything, Can-Am placed the blame on my aftermarket wheels and tires.

The wheels and tires I have now are 14" STI beadlocks and 28" Mongrels. I called Can-Am back and explained that the tires are only a true 1/2" bigger then stock and are less width in the rear where the CV actually broke. I went on to explain that the only reason I even changed to this setup was after the second ride I got a rock stuck in between the caliper and inner wheel and it blew a hole in the rim. After replacing the wheel, the very next ride I slashed a sidewall on the stock tires and it almost made me roll.

After that Can-Am out me on hold for 10 minutes. Can-Am decided to look up old pictures of my Maverick at the dealer. One of the pictures they found was from 5 months ago where my Maverick was at the dealer for service but it didn't have a cage on it. I removed the cage to have it reinforced while the Mav was at the dealer. Can-Am told me that I must have rolled it at some point and that is why my cage wasn't on it and that caused the CV to break. I have never rolled it!

Look around and I am not the only one who is breaking these outer Cv's. Any sliding into corners puts pressure on it. Some think the heat treatment wasn't done right and it can't take the side loading which cause's it to snap.

At this point I have given up. If I wouldn't have paid for the extended warranty I could have paid for this repair. I am very disappointed in Can-Am and will not be purchasing one again. I am not trying to start an arguement or debate, but I did want to put my experience out there for future buyers.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
You are protected by the Magnuson Warramty Act which basically says the onus is on the warranty provider to PROVE that anything you have done to the vehicle was the cause of the failure.. dont let them bully you..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

I know of many cases whether it be a major car, motorcycle or UTV manufacture.. that once you are aware of your rights...can deny these types of claims.

HutchOven

Apr 2, 2012
You are protected by the Magnuson Warramty Act which basically says the onus is on the warranty provider to PROVE that anything you have done to the vehicle was the cause of the failure.. dont let them bully you..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

I know of many cases whether it be a major car, motorcycle or UTV manufacture.. that once you are aware of your rights...can deny these types of claims.
So are you saying the same as Sand Shark, take them to small claims court?

Otherwise if I call CAN-AM they refuse to let me talk to the claims representative that my dealer is talking to. Instead they will only let me talk to one of the Consumer hotline people which are no help and just keep coming up with more and more excuses. The actual claim rep requires a dealer number to be talked to.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Can Am UTV'S have snapped off allot of wheels but I haven't seen anyone getting them covered. Polaris does the same thing on diffrent parts that have issues. That Magnuson law doesn't seem to hold up on these off road vehicles. If you could get the law to work it still would not be worth the price of hiring a lawyer. You could cash out the warranty for what's left of it or keep it incase your engine blows or something but they may make an excuse for that too. Hate to say it but your going to end up fixing it yourself. Do some research there is some info out there on how to improve the wheel snapping off situation. In the beginning racers where snapping them every race.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

HutchOven

Apr 2, 2012
Can Am UTV'S have snapped off allot of wheels but I haven't seen anyone getting them covered. Polaris does the same thing on diffrent parts that have issues. That Magnuson law doesn't seem to hold up on these off road vehicles. If you could get the law to work it still would not be worth the price of hiring a lawyer. You could cash out the warranty for what's left of it or keep it incase your engine blows or something but they may make an excuse for that too. Hate to say it but your going to end up fixing it yourself. Do some research there is some info out there on how to improve the wheel snapping off situation. In the beginning racers where snapping them every race.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I bought Gorilla outers. I haven't heard of anyone snapping those yet. I will have to look into cashing out the extended warranty. I'm sure if the engine blows they will find a spec of dirt or blame the tires and wheels for making the engine work too hard.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
What's the long term fix to stop them from snapping off? Cryro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
1, Extended warranties suck, you spend too much time fighting that you could just fix it.
2. That is not the first time I have seen that failure, I saw two at a race with same broken hub when they first came out.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
You don't need a lawyer for small claims and the filing fees are cheap. You will need mechanic or someone that can tell the judge the part is faulty and the failure was not from driver error.

It is worth a try. I am sure Can Am does not want to send someone to appear and may give in.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
i never buy extended warranties. They are not worth the hassle. The axle nut is a known issue between hardcore racers.

your issue is with the dealer more than the warranty company. If you had a decent dealer who knew what they were looking at they could get it covered. You need to call BRP customer service and open a case, be persistent and polite. Call them often and ask for updates.

if you search the WWW you will find others who have had serious issues with their sxs's and have been persistent with the manufacturer and have had thier issues taken care of. Likely not a quick process but you will be taken care of.

I had an issue and BRP took care of me well, they even offered a loaner sxs for a trip i had planned.

HutchOven

Apr 2, 2012
i never buy extended warranties. They are not worth the hassle. The axle nut is a known issue between hardcore racers.

your issue is with the dealer more than the warranty company. If you had a decent dealer who knew what they were looking at they could get it covered. You need to call BRP customer service and open a case, be persistent and polite. Call them often and ask for updates.

if you search the WWW you will find others who have had serious issues with their sxs's and have been persistent with the manufacturer and have had thier issues taken care of. Likely not a quick process but you will be taken care of.

I had an issue and BRP took care of me well, they even offered a loaner sxs for a trip i had planned.
A case was opened... Twice. And now they refuse to reopen it or even discuss it. All they keep telling me is that they are sticking to what the claims agent decided on. So then I try to talk to the claims department but apparently only dealers are aloud to talk to them. I have called multiple times without being able to talk to someone that actually matters. I have just recently started sending emails but have yet to get a response.

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
I would find as many other people that have had this same issue and post up pictures of the same damage. I guarantee these manufacturers look at these forums and issues like this will not boost sales. You need to stay on your dealer if that is the chain of command.

Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Nice guys finish last.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
A case was opened... Twice. And now they refuse to reopen it or even discuss it. All they keep telling me is that they are sticking to what the claims agent decided on. So then I try to talk to the claims department but apparently only dealers are aloud to talk to them. I have called multiple times without being able to talk to someone that actually matters. I have just recently started sending emails but have yet to get a response.
That sucks. Sounds Luke your claim guy is edging you. Good luck and keep pressing them.

Find out where Canam is doing a demo near you and try to make friends there for a phone number or email of someone that can help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000