COGNITO RZR 4 XP1000 new BITD build

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
things were looking on the up and up, was putting the finishing touches on the long travel suspension as seen in picture below... then found a clearance issue. :sad:

So, rather than scramble to fix it, we are going to install our stock replacement arm kit and trailing arms, already race proven, and run stock travel for this race. So, the roll test got pushed back a little, hopefully this afternoon tho, if not, then it will be monday. Still get to run the Fox Bypass shocks tho! Cant wait to see what that Rigid Industries Q2 front light puts out also.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
ok, roll test done, systems check done, first donut DONE! :D

Got another day or 2 to wrap up final details and field test and tune, we should be a go for Silver State 300

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
That's pretty impressive Justin. What is your confidence level regarding the overall reliability of the car, given you will have so little test time prior to race day? My limited experience with racing and testing revealed to me that you really can't reproduce accurate race conditions in a test session anyway. That being said, SS 300 here you come!

I was sorry to read about your new front suspension clearance issues. If you don't mind my asking, was it related to the upper arm/tie rod clearance? I was thoroughly impressed with the design of the new XP 1000 frame, and how they used full-weld intersections and smart tube positioning to achieve chassis integrity and rigidity, but I thought that bending a load carrying arm around a steering link was kind of lame. Good luck at the SS. I'll be rooting for you guy's (right after the lunch meat cars, of course):D!!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
That's pretty impressive Justin. What is your confidence level regarding the overall reliability of the car, given you will have so little test time prior to race day? My limited experience with racing and testing revealed to me that you really can't reproduce accurate race conditions in a test session anyway. That being said, SS 300 here you come!

I was sorry to read about your new front suspension clearance issues. If you don't mind my asking, was it related to the upper arm/tie rod clearance? I was thoroughly impressed with the design of the new XP 1000 frame, and how they used full-weld intersections and smart tube positioning to achieve chassis integrity and rigidity, but I thought that bending a load carrying arm around a steering link was kind of lame. Good luck at the SS. I'll be rooting for you guy's (right after the lunch meat cars, of course):D!!
Yes the clearance of the Tie Rod to control arm was too close at droop.

Justin is going out tonight to put some miles on the car. But Like you mentioned test miles and race miles are 2 different animals. We are pretty confident in the car. The suspension is already race proven.

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
The new car is looking good. Its amazing how much time and planning goes into these builds. And it only takes 1 or 2 small things to create big delays...

Good luck and look forward to seeing you guys out at SS300.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Great job on finishing your build. I don't know how you guys find the time for extra-curricular activities like A NEW BUILD!!:D

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
wrap done, 50 miles of abuse done, now time to finish up final details.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
wrap done, 50 miles of abuse done, now time to finish up final details.

Your RZR looks fantastic! Have you put it on the scales yet? I would love to hear what it weighs. If you could build that car at or below 1800 lbs you are a Punk Rock Star! :D -MP

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Your RZR looks fantastic! Have you put it on the scales yet? I would love to hear what it weighs. If you could build that car at or below 1800 lbs you are a Punk Rock Star! :D -MP
With gas...or without?;)
Dry is fine.

All the classes I know that have a min weight are measured dry. Score chassis tags require the car to be wet and in race trim. Calculating fuel is easy, just by looking as your pictures I would guess your fuel cell is 20-22 gal? At 6.15 lbs per Gal that is another 123-135 lbs.

I'm with Matt I think most of these cars need to go on a diet. Hitting the 1800 lb mark would be great. I think in order for the UTV to be competing with the 1600 cars in time, they are going to need to be in that weight range, and I still think the rules need to be adj to allow a bigger tire, up to 33 inch maybe? That is the standard size tire in all the limited buggy classes. I think you guys would be shocked to see how much bigger of a hole you can go over vs. go into with a bigger tire. Then again I'm still surprised to see teams choosing to run tires smaller then the 30 inch allowed. A course then you will a new challenge in the CVT dept as I dont know if the belts could handle a 33 in tire for long.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Dry is fine.

All the classes I know that have a min weight are measured dry. Score chassis tags require the car to be wet and in race trim. Calculating fuel is easy, just by looking as your pictures I would guess your fuel cell is 20-22 gal? At 6.15 lbs per Gal that is another 123-135 lbs.

I'm with Matt I think most of these cars need to go on a diet. Hitting the 1800 lb mark would be great. I think in order for the UTV to be competing with the 1600 cars in time, they are going to need to be in that weight range, and I still think the rules need to be adj to allow a bigger tire, up to 33 inch maybe? That is the standard size tire in all the limited buggy classes. I think you guys would be shocked to see how much bigger of a hole you can go over vs. go into with a bigger tire. Then again I'm still surprised to see teams choosing to run tires smaller then the 30 inch allowed. A course then you will a new challenge in the CVT dept as I dont know if the belts could handle a 33 in tire for long.
Todd...the CVT's could handle the 33 inchers if the cars were re-geared and the CVT was retuned.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Todd...the CVT's could handle the 33 inchers if the cars were re-geared and the CVT was retuned.
Problem solved! Now get the promoters to allow a 33 inch max tire!

I knew you could replace or tune the CVT. But I thought the rules stated the gear box had to remain stock? Or is it the manufactures stock design must be kept, but ratio changes and internal aftermarket replacement parts are OK?

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
ready to race, tooled out, with 12 gallons of fuel in it, only lacking a spare rear axle, it is 1835.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000