Cost of Winning: The Monster Mav Chronicles

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Preparing for the assault:
No time to type now. Just wanted to show you our current status. I'm supposed to test with Airdam in about 3 hours. It will be late for sure. His plane lands just after 10 this morning. I've worked through the night, but to no avail. Sorry Adam!

Marcs 2 co-drivers just left to meet up with him in Ensenada for yet again, more pre running. Marc and Robby G flew his little Cessna 150 commuter :rolleyes: (guess again) from vegas to Laredo on Friday morning to meet up with RG's prerunning posse. Must be nice in that plush pre runner! He called us a few hours ago, I guess that was last night now:confused:, and at that moment, him and Robby were doing 90+ mph south of Laredo:eek:. I'm hungry and tired, so bye bye. Y

You Polaris guys drink up all that free booze now. You might just need a little liquid courage in a few days!! It is going to be brutal:(

Attachments

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
Reid, good luck to Marc and the team at the 1000.
Also read in RDC about <sp> dunge fever from all the mosquito's due to standing water from the storms. Reccomend lots of DEET.
Be safe down there.

NorthWestOffroad.net
Racing- Adventure - Fun
Maverick XRS

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Just got back from the long weekend of racing, and as tired as I am, I just have to post a mini report, and also give congrats before settling in for the best sleep I have seen for a while. I am stoked for Moneybags and his awesome duo of drivers for getting their first win. What a doosey! Wish we could have made it more interesting, but our 2 year old 2400 pound slug had a multitude of issues, as I'm sure all teams did. We hung in there until serious suspension damage in the last 75 miles or so took us out of contention. Just getting to the car for repairs was an adventure in itself. It took a couple of hours to get the Monster Mav back and running again. Feeling emptied of our inspirations and expectations to win the race, we had to keep the bigger picture in mind.

Those of you who tracked the event witnessed the see-saw ride that the top cars were sharing. I had a sinking feeling while performing a scheduled belt change at rm 700 or 800 (I have no clue where I, or it was at!), that when the UTV Inc. car passed us and honked goodbye, that we were in for a fight that may not turn out the way we would have hoped. Right after Marc ripped out of our pits to chase down the UTV Inc. entry, a flat tire immediately sidelined us, after a 30+ minute pit stop, leaving us with no more tires south of Coco's corner to fall back on. It definitely put a twist on Marc's strategy to drive the car as hard as he deemed necessary to hunt down and pass the 1932 and 1919 cars.

Just as I was disappointed in our race, I was impressed and ecstatic for Johnny and crew for what would be their first victory, in a brand new car, in the longest off road race we've seen in quite some time. It was well worth the thousand bucks to see the 1919 car get a win that I knew was lurking since they started the team earlier this year. Boy, am I glad Johnny didn't take me up on the additional bet I offered to him paying an extra thou if the winner of the bet also won the race! The extended miles that this years 1000 brought proved to be too much for the prep I performed, and the tired chassis that is the Badassmav. Marc was in top form though, showing his competitors that he is a true Ironman, and even after nearly 1000 miles of seat time, was still sharp enough to match the efforts of their fresher drivers. He is hands down the premier driver in the 1900 class, and just like modern day shock absorbers can make a poorly designed suspension perform well, he makes my and the Monster Mav's short comings a non issue. Just wait until he gets behind the wheel of a car that can go 85-90 mph. Game over.

I'll be closing down these chronicles shortly, for they have carried on much longer than I had originally planned, but not until I give a fully detailed report of our Baja 1000 race efforts, which I will fit in by the end of this week. Don't worry Johnny, I won't try to peddle off 600 pounds of pennies to you. I promise I will pay with paper currency by weeks end:rolleyes:...............I think there are about 33,000 Vietnamese dongs per british pound right now

Last edited:

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
When I was a youngster, I always felt an empty sadness when Fred Rodgers would first put on, and then slowly begin tying his shoes. . It meant that something good that I enjoyed was coming to an end, as all good things do. As he reached for the closet door, he would look into the camera with his re-assuring Mona Lisa-like smile to break the news that our time together was coming to a close. As he grabbed for his coat, I hoped it was a rainy day, as to warrant a few extra minutes of his time while he bundled up for the weather outside. I always looked forward to our next visit, and what mail Mr. Mc Feely (kind of a creepy name for an old man in a kids show, don't you think?) would bring by tomorrow.

As I sat down to write this, my final post the Chronicles, a deja'vu moment of those past memories came across my mind. The comfort I found while he would entertain me in that short moment of time is similar to the contentment that this thread has allotted me. A peaceful, and safe place where, for some reason, I feel protected from the people outside of my world who don't believe in me. Where like in Cheers, everybody knows my name.

The 2014 racing season has provided a plethora of experiences for me ranging from unfortunate to the unexpected. Unfortunate in that I lost my brother as a key, full-time participant in our racing efforts, and unexpected in regards to our future in this class, that of which will be publicized in the coming weeks. The 2014 SCORE points championship was a given for me. Carved in stone. It was an expectation more than it was a goal. Just like the racing gods tried all year long to put obstacles inbetween us and the races ahead, they came down as hard as ever during the course of the final race this season, the Baja 1000. In the two years racing the Monster Mav, my presence at the races was rarely needed. This race would prove far different than past ones.
I planned on doing a comprehensive race report on the 1000, but you can get that directly from the horses mouth here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marc-Burnett-MB-Motorsports-Offroad-Racing/138769959531924
Instead, I will say that I fell way short this race. My prep and assembly decisions cost us down time, and my inability to get from the street to a given point on the race course when the car needed my attention was pitiful. It cost us many unnecessary hours, and most likely, a victory. We still got our finish needed to claim the big prize, but for me, this race was as big a failure as I have yet been involved with. I let down Marc, and everyone else involved in our efforts. I'm not apologizing for it. I'm just stating the facts, as I always have in my postings. Usually, those facts are challenged and attempts to dis credit them are abundant. I assume this time, the facts as I shared here now, will be accepted as such by the nay-sayers who have been awaiting my/our fall as to pounce on it like a hungry lion would its prey. I don't make excuses. i hate excuses, and it annoys the hell out of me when people use them over accountability. The success we have enjoyed this season was achieved through extreme perserverance on my part, and the driving abilities of Marc Burnett. Make no mistake about it, luck played a minor role, if any, in our championship.

I expect that next year will be no different. I will be overwhelmed prior to each event, and Marc will perform sufficiently enough to balance that out, assuming I give him the vehicle necessary to do so. I have enjoyed more than anything else this year, sharing with who ever cared to listen and believe, what tips and advice I have that they could prosper from. Can't take it with you, right? Besides, if anyone needs to copy what we do in order to achieve results, they really aren't a threat at all, but rather someone taking advantage of my offerings and/or guidance to better their racing efforts. Great, that's the jest of why I post here. Its not to be in your face about our success, but more so it brings me to a higher place personally than I would be otherwise, and brings attention to the Monster Mav which has a value to the car marketing wise. Especially when my smack is backed with Jack. results. Many take me as arrogant, or the like, and that is the farthest thing from the truth. I am as giving and humble as a person as one could find, and want others to have a break or two that I didn't when it comes to building or racing their cars. The internet offers many resources that I did not have the luxury of in my day. It is a tool that if used wisely, can forward your knowledge ahead much quicker than the learning curve that comes with experience and time. Time robbed from the family unit for ones personal recreational fun is not time well spent. If I helped just one father spend more time or money on his family unit as a result of my free advice, then my time was well spent.

Unfortunately, I will be limited to blabbing here next season by people who fear the truth, or who view my postings as bashing, or crapping upon others. I would assume not post, than to be politically correct and say what people want to hear, in a way that doesn't hurt their feelings. So, thank you to the few who did not misunderstand me and my writings. You guys rock, and gave me reassurance that judghmental assholes or insecure entities are not the only ones out there. I will always be around the Underground reading the jibberish that goes on and, when there is an opportunity to jump in and help, I'll be there to do it.

I'll check out w/ a couple of pics of my shortcomings that held us back last weekend.

Attachments

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
Reid, you and Marc are to be commended for a job well done and a Championship EARNED. Baja kicks the tail out of even the best teams, so do not believe you let anyone down. This sport (and life un general) are full of the evious and haters - 99.9% who have never been involved with a serious effort to achieve anything great. And those who do choose to achieve will have the poo thown at them.
IMHO the Chronicals are a must read - as they illustrate the challenges to achieve anything in life. And you are also correct, the way to achieve is by bringing other up, no stomping over them.
Thanks for the intel, tech, info you shared with a small team from OR.

NorthWestOffroad.net
Racing- Adventure - Fun
Maverick XRS

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Reid - I want to thank you for sharing your knowledge and letting us non-technical people have some insight into the build process and what it takes to keep a car running for a desert race season.

I hope you continue to post as you are witty, entertaining and educational. You have brought a lot to this site and I think people will miss your chronicles.

If Marc continues to race a UTV next season, I hope you will start up another chronicle to bring us along for the adventure.

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
I don't race and will never have the time/money to race... but I've still enjoyed and valued following this thread and the journey... so much so I was rooting for Marc and you guys on the win !! I'm sad to see it come to an end. :(

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I've always enjoyed reading you stuff Ried. Political correctness sucks balls. I don't blame you for not wanting to conform and just rather not post if you have to. That's one of the things I really like is that your a real person online and call it like you see it.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Reid is one of the most intelligent guys I've ever met. He rattles off formulas and all things fabrication like it's second nature.
He's a genuinely good guy and I'm proud to call him a friend of mine. Stay you Reid, I'll see you soon.

Frcefed

Sep 26, 2014
I agree with everyone, Reid, your witty knowledge is both informative and very educational. I don't have a race team yet, but I was planning on trying to get a rig built next season and really value your insight. It's also nice to see that you post not only your personal wins, but also your issues/problems. Makes it real, not just a factory sponsored fairy tale.

As for the naysayers and people worried about your political correctness, remember, you are not forcing anyone to read this. It's their free will to choose to experience your humor/ knowledge or to shield themselves from a calloused expert. I would bet 90+% of the people on here appreciate your posts, because I know I really always look forward to the next installment of the chronicles. You will always have a troll looking for a fight, and rather than just moving on, they will be an ass and ruin a good thing.

Thanks for all your time spent sharing your lessons. I really hope you start another chronicle for next season!!

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Im not known for being PC and mega you can't say shit either lol. So i hope Reid keeps it real and I love reading his post and the info he provides and I don't give 2 shits what any body else has to say about it. At least he contributes good info. So if anyone doesn't like it GFYS. Lol.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Im not known for being PC and mega you can't say shit either lol. So i hope Reid keeps it real and I love reading his post and the info he provides and I don't give 2 shits what any body else has to say about it. At least he contributes good info. So if anyone doesn't like it GFYS. Lol.
Hey, I am a nice guy. I just have a problem communicating with my typing fingers. They just want to be honest and call a spade a spade.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
These Chronicles have gone way further than I ever had expected or planned. My initial concept was to breakdown a period of time from the end of one eventful race, to the beginning of the following race on the schedule. Sharing, teaching, and learning aside, I originally had no predetermined format that I planned to follow, other than I did not want it to be a place where I combat the nay sayers and "slap them with the facts" as I like to put it. It was only meant to be a journal of what a race car fabricator/prep man has to overcome to ready his chariot for the next battle. A direct and honest exposure of what my days are like. From the standard tasks of maintenance, to the creative ways of repair, I knew there would be interest in my story, and the Chronicles have proven to be just that. A storybook of sorts. Non-fictitious reading of what I thought would be boring to most, but has turned out to be addicting to many members who I now could label as followers, and in some cases, friends.

I am faithful, insecure, paranoid, a team player, spiteful, friendly, smart, giving, angry, depressed, accommodating, addictive, intelligent, industrious, self destructive, creative, shy, loyal, modest, lonely, pessimistic, and unfortunately for me, a martyr.
I am not social,optimistic, physical, confident, stable, tolerant, content, politically correct, healthy, religious, hopeful, or happy

As NIKAL once posted, I am definitely misunderstood. I have been thrust into a public arena, mostly by my own doing, and am now at a crossroads as to which direction my life will go. This association with my cousin Marc has put me in a place of prosperity if I choose to make that out of it. If I feel I am worthy of it, I may proceed. My heart tells me nothing, but my mind is full of conflict. I lack confidence in society and the direction in which it is headed. If I don't participate, maybe it's my way of escaping blame for it. The momentum is too much for one person to overcome, and the masses are blinded by the reality of it.

Until 5 or 6 years ago when I was left with no one who needed my attention, I too was living in a protected bubble of security. The glass is never half full. It is only emptied more day by day. Sure, there is tons of prosperity ahead for me if I choose, but what good is it if the environment in which it is realized is not conducive to it? There are too many people willing to line their pockets at your expense. To take from your livelihood to better theirs. As children, we were taught the ways of sharing, and giving all a fair chance or portion. As adults, we practice and work within a different set of rules. We want to maximize our successes in order to secure our families future. We have more children than we can afford, buy bigger houses and cars than we are financially able to sustain, and give less to any cause that is not of our benefit. The number of people making withdraws on a daily basis far exceeds the number of them who make deposits. We ignore the writing on the wall, only to write our own version of tomorrow.

Victory to me is hollow. I don't do finish line celebrations, or public accolades. I don't feel any better because my car won, or lost. I have however, been uplifted by those of you who have offered to me your support, be it because you are a Can-am fan, or just a fan of the new comer trying to make a statement. Notice how I didn't refer to us as being an "Underdog"? I almost did though!. Conversely, we are the favorites at every race due to Marc's driving abilities and resources. As I have said, shit's easy for me. Marc is the mover and shaker here. Driven like no one I have ever met. Confident and persistent, he just grabs the bull by the horns and dives in. I admire that, although it does come with a bit of blindness, almost bordering on arrogance. He is a human being like the rest of us. He differs in that he is impervious to setbacks, and in his mind, tomorrow will arrive with the necessary tools to continue on the path he chooses. This racing thing. This branded following that he has amassed, is definitely seductive. It leaves you wanting more, and assures you of your status and your abilities.

I want to say thanks to everybody who joined into this crazy thread, and supported my writing of it. I love comedy, or even dry humor, and there is plenty of it here to go around. I will see you all again elsewhere in the Underground, or perhaps in person. The latter not really a preference for me.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Reid Congrats to your team on your championship.:)
Monstaris-Schlomaris..............Polaris:
Thanks Jim. It looks like next year is shaking up to be a doosey. Only thrice in two years has another cars bumper got a piece of our hind end (the Herbst V2R "Landing" not withstanding), and twice it came from your entry! The helicopter shot from the 1000 of us dicing at Ojos is classic. Marc said he flew by you guys like you were standing still. NOT! Marc said you guys pulled up to him side by side, looked over, then slowed and proceeded to nerf us before driving on by like we were...........in a golf cart or something! Ha ha!:D

He said he was busting up. Laughing at the fact of how slow our car is/was. Although we're loud, and seemingly in everyone's face, we are also honest and real about it all. I'm sure a part of Marc's laugh was fueled by thoughts of driving in equal cars next season. We might just put out a "Bumper Bounty" for the few who will be fortunate (or good:rolleyes:) enough get a piece of our new back end!

Attachments

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000