Cost of Winning: The Monster Mav Chronicles

PickupTrucker

Dec 20, 2013
Duvall, Washington
ok so Im still a little confused, will you be doing the work to Marc's new car? and will you be sharing any of it like you did with this one? thanks again btw for everything you have shared already

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
ok so Im still a little confused, will you be doing the work to Marc's new car? and will you be sharing any of it like you did with this one? thanks again btw for everything you have shared already
We are giving the fabricator all the space he needs in building the tube chassis. He is on a roll, ahead of schedule, and is doing an excellent job. I don't know how he works so fast, and I definitely don't want to slow him down. Elsewhere, the suspension is being built to our needs as far as lengths and hardware goes, and our motor is coming along fine as well. Just mild massaging of the top end, no bottom end BS. In comparison to the Monster Mav, the "out of the hole" and "top speed" performance should be impressive, especially with the larger diameter stock secondary clutch that our old car was lacking. Add to that, the higher revving top end, and weighing hundreds of pounds less, and the car should top out nicely. The longer, cooler running belts should allow us 2-3 times more miles than the Mav did in between belt changes. Changes that never lasted less than 20 minutes, and numbered between 2 and four each race.

So, my fabrication on this first car will consist mainly of the final details that make a race car unique. Alternator mounts, CVT mods, QR lightbar, and the basic amenities that make Marc comfortable in the car. I hope to have more time to put towards building our 2nd car, but that remains to be seen.

You don't know how bad I wish I could say that my disclosure of the design, building, and maintenance of our new race car will be shared in a similar fashion as before. With the exception of a place to park my butt, (and groceries and beer. Lots and lots of beer), I have pretty much worked for free for the last two years, so everything up until now that I designed, repaired, prepped or built I may use at my discretion. The sharing of it all, albeit against Marc and Can-am's wishes, was a choice that no one had any influence over. It has nothing to do with pissing on your sponsors, rather it's intended purpose is to share information, whether it be about me or our car.

Now that I will be receiving a yearly salary for my efforts, the design, details and even my straight forward approach to calling things as I see them, will no longer be publicly shared. I will own none of the technology or ideas that I contribute, and must respect the wishes of Marc and other entities to clam up. I will behave and be quiet. I still however, can and will reply to any posters seeking advice or help on their UTE's. I've learned a lot about these unique cars, and have a lot to offer in the area of modifying or changing the way their car is built, in order to achieve a higher level of performance, with out spending excessive amounts of money, or months/years learning things the hard way. I hate conforming to the masses, and I hate even more not being able to help someone who is reaching out for it.

So, the answer to your question Tucker is no, I will not be starting another journal, blog, or chronicle of any sort:(, hence the prolonged closing of this one. It depresses me to have to say goodbye to the Chronicles, and the openness that they afforded me. They just seemed to put me in a better place.:)

hardcharger81

Nov 30, 2014
Elk Grove CA
I've been lurking since I picked up my Maverick last summer.

With the wealth of info post here, even though your not going to continue the chronicles, will this atleast be made a sticky for us Can Am guys?

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I've been lurking since I picked up my Maverick last summer.

With the wealth of info post here, even though your not going to continue the chronicles, will this atleast be made a sticky for us Can Am guys?
Hey Jake. I noticed that you just became a member. Welcome to the Underground, and if I had any influence on your participation, well, I am humbled.

I always see the "sticky" label prefacing posts/threads and assumed that it meant people always go back to it, time and time again, because it has an ongoing validity. Mine is more a story than a specific topic.

Based on public participation (Amazingly, 46 members chimed in for more than 600 comments over a 4 month period of time. This thread has amassed a viewership exceeding 230/day, for a grand total of 28,000+ views. Yeah, that's another boast! Hey Joey, you sure I can't "monetize" my thread?:confused:), I'd say that people indeed cannot turn away from a train wreck!

If what you're asking is will I still respond to members seeking advice through this thread, the answer is; Yes, as long as inquiries are not related to our new commitment, or Polaris in any way. I know. It kinda takes the fun out of it:(.

HELP! :eek: I've gone off the deep end, and have been arrested by the "Sharing Sheriff " Can someone make my bail? Ha hee heh, hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooweee!!!!!!!!!!!!

hardcharger81

Nov 30, 2014
Elk Grove CA
I belong to a few different forums. Off Road related and otherwise. I have been lurking since I wasn't sure I wanted to get "sucked in" to another forum. :D Now that my leg is in a sling for the next couple months...well, I've got time to read and maybe contribute a little myself.

But I thoroughly enjoy your candor, and like you, even though sometimes it might hurt me and my business, I like to help people and spread what I know and absorb what others know.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I belong to a few different forums. Off Road related and otherwise. I have been lurking since I wasn't sure I wanted to get "sucked in" to another forum. :D Now that my leg is in a sling for the next couple months...well, I've got time to read and maybe contribute a little myself.

But I thoroughly enjoy your candor, and like you, even though sometimes it might hurt me and my business, I like to help people and spread what I know and absorb what others know.
If through my 2 years of racing Mavericks and the knowledge it has afforded me, I can offer any tips or hard solutions on design or reliability challenges you may have, feel free to publicly inquire, as so the masses may benefit from our exchange also. I always offer solutions based on solid engineering principles and real life experience. I try not to offer conjecture because every one and anyone can give their opinion as to the best route to take to solve a problem. If I do not have help for a specific problem, the viewing public may, in which case we both can learn.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. There are far too many takers in society nowadays. Giving is not difficult, it only requires that one truly cares, AND has compassion. Given those two qualities, the only tangible element required to truly help someone is time. Helping an elderly person cross the street, well, for anyone heading in that direction, it's no skin off of their brow. Helping that same person make it home, or to the bus stop, or wherever their destination may be, now that is old fashioned caring and looking out for someone more than just yourself. Perhaps my view is jaded because I am at a low in my life, but I have always been the one to step forward while the masses would step back. If people could just slow down a bit, and put aside whatever device connects them to the world, they would see the real world more clearly. Be it the unsure senior driving their car and needing a break in the line to enter, or the overloaded parent at the grocery store with the 3 busy kids and some milk and bread who could surely benefit by reaching the cashier sooner. The rewards in offering these generosities are far greater than the burden one allows them to incur.

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
ok ok so no details on the new build ? so now all we get to read is about letting people cut in line .. Mr Rodgers Town WTF .. off the deep end Reid Goes .. hey I won the Baja 1000 so you going to join Team UTVinc ? oh oh ya I forgot your in the Big Time again with another Factory Sponsorship and Im out to get you Factory Race Teams .. If you guys stay out of my way this year maybe I can have a Factory Race Team with Free Race Cars and a Paid Race Team Manager and Budget.

See you at the San Felipe 250 and Bring Buckets of Duckets I don't want no Chinese Dongs

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
ok ok so no details on the new build ? so now all we get to read is about letting people cut in line .. Mr Rodgers Town WTF .. off the deep end Reid Goes .. hey I won the Baja 1000 so you going to join Team UTVinc ? oh oh ya I forgot your in the Big Time again with another Factory Sponsorship and Im out to get you Factory Race Teams .. If you guys stay out of my way this year maybe I can have a Factory Race Team with Free Race Cars and a Paid Race Team Manager and Budget.

See you at the San Felipe 250 and Bring Buckets of Duckets I don't want no Chinese Dongs
You don't need that conformity, that's why i call you Moneybags! and about my "emotional philanthropy", watch it Bucko! It might be your sibling I help across that next crowded intersection, whilst you are busy playing in the sand. Ha Hee! The more we lose, the sappier this thread becomes so, pull on over Moneybags and let us by, will ya? Man, I hate going to Mexico.

hardcharger81

Nov 30, 2014
Elk Grove CA
So stupid question time Reid.

What size material did you use for your cage?

I agree with using DOM vs Chromo just for the sake of reparability in the field. Would you consider something different to cut back on weight since the Mav was so heavy?

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
So stupid question time Reid.

What size material did you use for your cage?

I agree with using DOM vs Chromo just for the sake of reparability in the field. Would you consider something different to cut back on weight since the Mav was so heavy?
We went with 1 1/2" x .095"wall, since our car will be under 2,000 lbs. this time. We have been trimming the car down where ever we can. Mostly in components. Lighter shocks. Lighter batteries, less plate supports and thinner gussets. Anywhere there is room to lighten up, we are doing it. No such thing as a stupid question.

Vapor Trail

Oct 21, 2014
Hello Reid, I appreciate the information you provide even though I am not a racer, very interesting. I do have a fetish for lighting and was planning on adding an alternator to a Turbo Mav. I was going to figure all this out on my own until I started researching the matter. It seems alternator can mess with computer systems, void warranties, some shut off and are not producing always, some are computer controlled, etc. I guess my thought now would be to buy the UTV inc 60 watt kit and modify it to fit a Can Am drive shaft. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
What size tires/wheels were you running on the Mav? How much larger tire can you get away with in lieu of clutch mods?
Sorry for the delay, but I've been out of town (still am). I learned from Adam@ Airdam Clutches how valuable clutch "tuning" is in achieving extended belt life, and clutch performance. Unless you pile on the pounds, and increase the tire size to 29 or 30", the stock clutch is adequately tunable for recreational use. We ran 30" ITP Blackwater tires on 15" OMF billet center beadlocks. I would recommend 28 or 29" tires for any activities other than desert racing. Due to the diameter of the Maverick clutches, it is my opinion that they couldn't pull much larger of a tire than 29" without costing a lot in the belt department, which I assume the recreational users don't want to spend 150.00 for every 500 or 1000 miles of driving. I would be curious to hear from Maverick owners as to how many miles they are getting on a belt, and with what tires and equipment they are running. We run the 30" tires only because of the ruts carved out by the unlimited classes in the race course, and the speeds at which we need to hit bumps, ruts, and holes in order to be competitive. Good luck with your UTE!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Hello Reid, I appreciate the information you provide even though I am not a racer, very interesting. I do have a fetish for lighting and was planning on adding an alternator to a Turbo Mav. I was going to figure all this out on my own until I started researching the matter. It seems alternator can mess with computer systems, void warranties, some shut off and are not producing always, some are computer controlled, etc. I guess my thought now would be to buy the UTV inc 60 watt kit and modify it to fit a Can Am drive shaft. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Yeah, I know about lighting fetishes! My driver has to have the brightest lights possible, hence the complicated alternator addition to our car. We run the huge Rallye 4k's on the bumper, aftermarket HID's in the stock location, and 5 zenon HID's on the top light bar. Our lights alone max out the stock stator capacity on the Monster Mav. I believe the stock stator on the Mavericks are only good for 45-50 amps. They rate it in watts, so just divide the watts by the voltage (12v to14.8v, depending on your set up), and it will tell you the amperage capacity.

As far as wiring in an alternator off of the driveshaft, well, that is quite a lofty task for the weekender, or even the avid enthusiast. Our set up runs two batteries to isolate the alternator output from the OEM charging system. We installed a second battery regulator over and above the stock rectifier to delegate charging voltage to the battery in need of it. We still have not worked ouit all of the bugs in the system, but it is more than adequate for the amperage requirements of the car. We run a 180 amp, $800.00 alternator that requires a minimum of 1,500 rpm's before it even puts out any amps. Pulley ratios are critical here. I can not elaborate any further on specifics, as we are running a similar system in our new build, and worked hard to get where we are at. All you posters who want to reply with your "total disclosure" comments can eat my shorts. Some things are proprietary, but not many. This happens to be one of them. Our alternator is reliable, doesn't throw belts (never once), and puts out tons of amperage. There is a horsepower and weight penalty, but it is definitely a fair trade!

Thanks a lot for your inquiry, and I hope I gave you the info you were looking for.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Yeah, I know about lighting fetishes! My driver has to have the brightest lights possible, hence the complicated alternator addition to our car. We run the huge Rallye 4k's on the bumper, aftermarket HID's in the stock location, and 5 zenon HID's on the top light bar. Our lights alone max out the stock stator capacity on the Monster Mav. I believe the stock stator on the Mavericks are only good for 45-50 amps. They rate it in watts, so just divide the watts by the voltage (12v to14.8v, depending on your set up), and it will tell you the amperage capacity.

As far as wiring in an alternator off of the driveshaft, well, that is quite a lofty task for the weekender, or even the avid enthusiast. Our set up runs two batteries to isolate the alternator output from the OEM charging system. We installed a second battery regulator over and above the stock rectifier to delegate charging voltage to the battery in need of it. We still have not worked ouit all of the bugs in the system, but it is more than adequate for the amperage requirements of the car. We run a 180 amp, $800.00 alternator that requires a minimum of 1,500 rpm's before it even puts out any amps. Pulley ratios are critical here. I can not elaborate any further on specifics, as we are running a similar system in our new build, and worked hard to get where we are at. All you posters who want to reply with your "total disclosure" comments can eat my shorts. Some things are proprietary, but not many. This happens to be one of them. Our alternator is reliable, doesn't throw belts (never once), and puts out tons of amperage. There is a horsepower and weight penalty, but it is definitely a fair trade!

Thanks a lot for your inquiry, and I hope I gave you the info you were looking for.
Light Fetishes must be old school. LOL. I don't like the Led bars unless im going to the stores with the wife and kids. Were going back to Round lights cause I like the throw and how they don't illuminate every particle of crap in the air. Most of the kids on here love there light bars and will argue #s on them all day long but what ever they suck I think. They do look nice and sleek though I will say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000