Cutter brake ???

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
Ok guys I have been looking into cutter brakes on sxs's. All I hear is people saying it's not possible because we have locked rear diffs. But I know it's possible because of RJ's XP1K video. I know it locks up one or the other front wheel, and you have to be on the throttle as you turn. Here is my question. How much power do you need to be able to use this type of a cutter brake. And does anyone know how to set this up. I have read the few posts on here that they talk about it but know one has gone into any detail. I believe you take the brake line from your master cylinder to the cutter brake and from there two lines come out one to each tire. I believe it's called 1 in 2 out. I would appreciate any help. Thanks guys

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
I thought I remember reading somewhere that brake was on the front end? I may be wrong though.:confused:

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Ok guys I have been looking into cutter brakes on sxs's. All I hear is people saying it's not possible because we have locked rear diffs. But I know it's possible because of RJ's XP1K video. I know it locks up one or the other front wheel, and you have to be on the throttle as you turn. Here is my question. How much power do you need to be able to use this type of a cutter brake. And does anyone know how to set this up. I have read the few posts on here that they talk about it but know one has gone into any detail. I believe you take the brake line from your master cylinder to the cutter brake and from there two lines come out one to each tire. I believe it's called 1 in 2 out. I would appreciate any help. Thanks guys
The set up on the XP1K car locks up all 4 wheels or just the rear. Pull back and the rear locks up to initiate the slide. Horsepower is required to keep it going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
The set up on the XP1K car locks up all 4 wheels or just the rear. Pull back and the rear locks up to initiate the slide. Horsepower is required to keep it going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rusty I thought I remember reading it only locked up the front end. So for instance you push it forward and it locks up driver side front, if you pull it back it locks up passenger front tire.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
The XP1K cars cutting brakes are tied to the front wheels only and only work in 2wd. Because the rear diffs are not open and because it would wreak ha ok on the belt this is what we had to do. Plus, this is what RJ was used to on his Pro Lite truck.

Pull back you lock the front driver side, push forward you lock the front passenger side. You must stand on the throttle when you pull for it to work right but when you get used to it you can make the car pivot on a dime!!

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
This is exactly what I wanted to know Joey thanks a bunch. Is there any way you could get me a diagram of how they put it together and how much power do they need to use this set up

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Dune buggies used to use them on the rear. You described the install correctly. Just buy one from one of the buggy places that caters to old school vw powered buggies.

426m

Dec 1, 2011
I have installed one on my XP 900 race car, it goes on the front brakes and you have to have 4 wheel drive disengaged to use it. It works well but not as good as it works on rear (drive) wheels. If traction is limited by slick conditions or an off camber situation where the front braking side is not making good contact due to lack of traction then it will push the front and not steer as well. However most of the time it works really well and you can turn on a dime. To install you remove the original front brake hoses, then run a single hose or line from the Master (front brake port) to the "in" fitting on the cutting brake, then you run a hose from both "out" fittings on the cutting brake to each front wheel. YOur brakes will work normally when you don't use the steering brake.

426m

Dec 1, 2011
As far as how much power you need to use the brake, It is actually easy to have to much power, you basically feather the turn brake to assist with the corner , but you do have to have forward momentum for it to work. Imagine you were driving 40mph and the front left (or right) wheel locked up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000