Yamaha cutting out at 47 mph.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I have a 2006 Rhino. I have been able to hit 58 mph with only air filter and CDI. The last couple trips i have only been able to go 47 mph. I starts popping and losing power. I have a Dragon Fire CDI. Has anyone has this problem?

SKEETER9

Oh 8 7 Hundy - UVUnderground Approved
Feb 12, 2009
El Cajon
it could very well be as simle as ur fuel filter have u changed it at all? other than that possibly the cdi have no experience with the dragonfire only BRP...

Reactions: 1 person

SKEETER9

Oh 8 7 Hundy - UVUnderground Approved
Feb 12, 2009
El Cajon
if there is a green wire at ur cdi check it out other than that.... prob have to switch the cdi out... cuz fuel filter is new so no clogage um... mayb ur jetting but thats out of my hands im jus a redneck hahahahahahaha;)

BrianAshby1

SilverBulletXP4 Sucka!
Feb 22, 2009
Menifee, CA
The only way your going to fix this is a Rotax motor, simply buy a renegade 800cc remove the motor and put it in your rhino.. you will thank me once its up and running ;)

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
The only way your going to fix this is a Rotax motor, simply buy a renegade 800cc remove the motor and put it in your rhino.. you will thank me once its up and running ;)[/QUOTE

I just want it to run like it used to. 58 mph in the dirt.

BrianAshby1

SilverBulletXP4 Sucka!
Feb 22, 2009
Menifee, CA
haha ya i know man, i was just being a smart ass... my bad! do you have any buddies that have rhinos with CDI's? if so try plugging theres in to see if it runs different.. just a simple trial and error approach to see if it is the CDI box

mikef

Big Mike - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Beaumont, Ca. (Inland Empire)
I have a 2006 Rhino. I have been able to hit 58 mph with only air filter and CDI. The last couple trips i have only been able to go 47 mph. I starts popping and losing power. I have a Dragon Fire CDI. Has anyone has this problem?

Rusty,

My first guess would be a CDI.... Check with BRP. I think that back in the day BRP used to supply the CDI's to Dragon Fire (I am not sure about this). BRP had a very few of the original CDI's (Procomm) that were bad. They will give you a $50.00 trade in credit towards the purchase of a new CDI. I have the Stage 2 CDI (Dynatek I think) and it is great. No problems at all.....

Like Brian stated above..... Get a CDI from a buddy and plug it in to see what happens. If it still does it then I am guessing a fuel issue..... Assumeing that your ail filter is clean and you have changed the fuel filter.... Those are the first steps... Keep us posted.

SoCal

I'm a Toy Haulin Hooligan - UTVUnderground Approve
Jan 16, 2009
Orange Ca.
Did you fix this?

I was having a random cutting out. Tried almost everything but couldnt fix it. Lead Dog had what sounded like the same problem I was having. He ended up replacing the Stator and fixed it so I tried the same. It ran flawless last weekend.:D

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Did you fix this?

I was having a random cutting out. Tried almost everything but couldnt fix it. Lead Dog had what sounded like the same problem I was having. He ended up replacing the Stator and fixed it so I tried the same. It ran flawless last weekend.:D
You can test this by checking the resistance of the magneto coils. Pull off the connector and test between each of the three coils. Coil to coil should be 0.32 ~ 0.43 ohms (done when engine is cool).

Reactions: 1 person

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000