Yamaha Engine cutting out at RPM???

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Plugged vent line? Fuel cell foam? Loose/bad connection? Loose screw in the drivers seat?

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Fuel tank vent line. Doubt thats your trouble but check it anyway, maybe something came loose and it kinked.

Loose/bad/shorted connection, follow the harness, anywhere theres a connection, clamp, or zip tie theres a potential trouble spot. Push, pull, wiggle....

Reactions: 1 person

OLET

Grabbin' Gears - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 9, 2009
I wish Weller was local but since they arent I need to do some troubleshooting this weekend. At RPM my motor wants to cough and cut out.....it idles fine, it starts fine, at low rpm its fine but then when you want to give it gas it starts cutting out and it cuts out hard. so here is what I have done so far:

-First I replaced the stock fuel pump with a new Weller Racing High Volume fuel system. New filter included. routed all lines correctly.

-The CDI I have is an older BRP Pro Comm CDI. I tried swapping it with a Pro Craft CDI and it had the same results. Tommorow I pick up a newer BRP Dynatek and will be running that from here on out.

-I pulled the carb apart and checked the float bowl tap, the needle, and made sure all the jets were clean and clear. same problem still. I then tried putting a fat jet in it....same problem so went back to the proper jet.

-I changed the spark plug although it had a brand new one in there. Same problem

-The motor dyno'd perfect. I took it to the desert and was running awesome, went through one big whoop section and this started happening???

What could it be? Rusty thinks maybe the stator is going out or is bad?

PLEASE HELP!
iI HAD THAT EXACT SAME PROBLEM AND IT WAS MY FUEL PUMP! YOU MAY HAVE A BUM PUMP!:confused:

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
My cutting out problems (after replacing every other part of the fuel system) was fixed by replacing the carb (HSR45 with a FCR41). Not saying thats your problem, but in my case, thats what finally fixed it. (bobbling under full throttle left had turns).

OLET

Grabbin' Gears - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 9, 2009
Joey, Ive got a spare high flow mikuni pump you can try out if you want. You can pick it up when you drop off those wheels!! HA HA HA :D :D
I WOULD DEFFINTLY TRY THAT! CHECK YOUR FLOATS AND YOUR MAIN JET, MAKE SURE ITS NOT LAYING IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOWL! , YOU CAN ALSO CHECK YOUR STATOR WITH A VOLTOMETER. IN THAT FUEL PUMP THERE IS LIKE A THIN PEICE OFF PLASTIC THAT CAUSES VIBRATION , THEY CAN GO SO EASY!

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
im with chris on this one. i always ground the reverse switch wire, i forget how it works but if something goes wrong with the switch the ignition goes in kind of a safety mode designed for limiting speed backing up, but then applies to an overall situation when the switch sticks or malfunctions. the tension wire in the cap that bites onto the threads sticking out of the plug can break, usually caused my the cap vibrating around because the rubber cam cover plug on the cap wasnt seated correctly.

ranchmkt

From The Land Of Avacado's - UTVUnderground Approv
Sep 11, 2009
Fallbrook
That sucks Joey. I had the same problem over New Years but for me it was a bad fuel pump "I got lucky". If you need to rewire Chris turned me on to Marc at Wirefab he is just down the street from Chris in Ramona. Marc did a nice job on mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000