All UTV's First Purchase Coming Up - Some Questions

Jafo

Feb 27, 2019
Thank you all for this website.

I am about to purchase my first SXS this March and am looking for some guidance. What I need is a good utility SXS, that will be able to plow the kind of snow we get up here in the Tug Hill in northern NY. We average around 200" a year.

During the other months, I will primarily be using this at my camp in the Adirondacks where it is quite rocky with occasional mud. Initially I don't plan on using this much for recreation, more just to help me do things like road repair, firewood, trail building, hunting, etc.. Speed is not a big deal for me and I definitely care more about function than I do form. I just want something that will be able to handle the terrain and not leave me stuck or wanting for power.

I am trying to spend no more than $20k (and less would be better). From what I have been building online at various manufacturers websites, my add-ons generally include simple roof, plastic window, heater/defrost, rear view mirror and complete large-as-possible plow kit with beefiest winch available.

So far, it seems to have boiled down to either the Polaris Ranger Crew XP 900 EPS or the Kawasaki FXT EPS. I have looked at other manufacturers but found them lacking in either clearance, hauling weight or are far more than I want to spend, however, I am open for more suggestions.

One thing I am unsure of, is the Polaris specs refer to "AWD/2WD/VersaTrac Turf Mode" and the Kawasaki specs are "Selectable 2WD/4WD, shaft. Dual mode rear differential with differential lock". I am not sure which is better for my situation. Any help you can provide to clear this up would be great!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Look at the Textron / Arctic Cat Havoc. The Havoc is a impressive machine, that seems to get overlooked. It has allot of cool features you won’t find on other Utility models. The engine was designed & built by Weber engines. It’s an awesome engine. Plus the top of the line Havoc is under $18K.
  • Precision-Tuned 100HP EFI Engine
  • Class-Leading 2,000-lb Towing Capacity
  • Class-Leading 13-inch Ground Clearance
  • Fox Podium QS3 Adjustable Compression Shocks with Duel Rate Springs
  • 67 lb-ft Torque
  • Standard Brush Guard and 4,500-lb WARN Winch
  • Class-Leading 24 cu-ft of Storage with Extended Cab
  • 28 inch ITP Ultracross Tires and Aluminum Wheels
  • Premium Seats
  • Standard Top
  • Hood Rack
https://textronoffroad.txtsv.com/side-by-side/rec-utility/havoc

upload_2019-2-28_23-5-28.jpeg

Caddocreek

Oct 9, 2016
I previously owned a Mule ProFXT and it did not handle a lot of weight very well and I had the HD Springs.

Just read a post on here where guy was having ground clearance issues with his ProFXT when loaded.....He also had the HD Springs.

bbqgod

Jul 10, 2019
I own a Polaris general I love the thing.... I put a huge stereo system in it and have used in the dunes, mountains, hauled deer out with it it has performed nothing but flawless for me

Reactions: Matt Martelli - CEO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000