First trip to Glamis, what should I know?

arizonamadmax

Oct 6, 2013
Thinking about heading to Glamis this weekend. Ive never been to the dunes with my Maverick Max. I need some general info on what would be helpful for my first trip. Including info on setup, and site and camping or hotel/motel info, just don't know what to expect.

Thanks!

the_owl

Oct 14, 2011
Watch out for the popo. Have your sticker and helmet.
Figure out the dunes on the small stuff, Learn to carry your momentum around bowls. Follow someone whos duned before.

ROGUE1

Jun 3, 2012
Apple Valley
grab a buddy...dont dune by yourself...let your air pressure down if you dont have paddles...buy a pass..buy a whip....have a blast!!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Let me see if I can help here:

1st you need to establish where to camp. 3 distinct locations are what the masses choose between.

1. Gecko RD - Gecko is the road you will come too off of Hwy78. Its a long black top road. Best part of Gecko is you are right into the dunes and its close to the drags. You also won't need to "off-road" for the most part to get to your camping destination. Very popular with the big "bus" type RVs.

2. The Flats aka Vendor Row aka Behind the Beach Store. This is a great spot if its your first time. The flats IMO allow you to get a really good sense of the dunes in terms of geography. You are close to the Beach Store which has a massive cell tower next to it with a blinking blue light. This tower can be seen from the top of almost every big dune in Glamis allowing you to always find your way home. Its easy to get turned around in the dunes, even for an experienced Glamis local. So I always recomend the flats for first timers. It can get crowded on big weekends and it can also get dusty. Those are the downsides. But you are also close to vendor row should you not feel like cooking any food or need to pick up some spare parts. The flats are also right next to the baby dunes which not only are a ton of fun to play in but are also a great area to get acclimated to the sand.

3. The Washes. The washes stretch for miles I think.. they go down a long way and are designated by the numbered "wash outs" that run under the train tracks. To access the washes you drive to the beach store, go just past it and make a right to take the road along the rail road tracks. I discourage new comers from the washes because its easy to get lost when trying to find your camp after a long ride. Its not uncommon for people in the washes to end up riding almost all the way to the store then back track along the tracks until they get to the wash they are in. I recommend the washes for only those camping with experienced Glamis locals.

Some things you will need:
  • Camping Permit - This can be purchased at the Beach Store or at other vendors in Vendor Row I think?
  • Gas - You will want to bring your own fuel in as the closest gas station is about 30min away by truck in Brawley.
  • Trash bags - Pack out what you pack in.
  • WHIPS - Anything you plan to drive off the highway requires a whip and flag. This includes your truck even if you intend to only drive it into the vendor area.

Most of all HAVE FUN!! Be safe and try to avoid the sand highway (road along highway 78) at night. The rangers love to hang out and just HARASS anyone then please!

GOVACHO

Nov 8, 2011
Riverssippi
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, what he just said..

I just went for my first time and I LOVED IT !!

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
Joey's got it right for the most part. Stay legal w whips, helmets, etc...because the Rangers are there to bust people. More importantly, shred the dunes and have a blast! Theres only one Glamis and its a blast. Have fun!

sent from the top of China Wall

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Don't go snipe hunting with Devin.:eek:

If you do find him, somewhere around pad 3 I think, do go riding with him, you won't regret it.:cool:

Dan ...

Kilgore23

Dec 12, 2012
I'm with Rogue1, NEVER RIDE ALONE, and follow someone who knows dune riding until you get the hang of how to weave through the dunes.

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Another simple tip...be careful at high noon. The shadows are gone that generally show terrain changes, holes, whoops, g-outs. I usually skip the high noon hours and go back to camp and grill during that period.

Bret901

Team South 1922
Apr 4, 2013
Memphis TN
It's been said before but can't be overstated AIR DOWN your tires if running stock to 5-7psi makes a world of difference

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000