All UTV's Foam Filter vs. Gauze Filter vs. Dry Filter

valco

Apr 30, 2009
Most reputable companies like Holz Racing, Pro Shop, SDR, Dasa & Muzzy sale / recommend using the gauze (K&N) style filter. Others like Hunterworks sale / recommend oiled foam style (UNI, Twin Filter, ect.). It seams like the general consensus from reading other posts in regards to this subject is the gauze style passes more air, but along with the air is dirt. Coming from a dirt bike background for the last 20 years, the foam style seamed to get the job done. Just curios why these companies seem to prefer the gauze style over foam. I am just trying to find the best filter for my money.
Now to make things more complicated UMP is in the filter game with a non-oiled Donaldson filter.

RHINOdan

RHINOdonkey
Oct 11, 2009
I run a K&N but man that thing collects dust! I can feel the motor gasp for air. I am not a big fan of foam filters niether. I keep hearin good reviews on the UMP filters so I will be following this post!

RHINOdan

RHINOdonkey
Oct 11, 2009
I answered in more depth on the other forum, but I really like my UMP for desert use. Doesnt clog with dust or silt, and I can go a whole season without even looking at the filter, let alone cleaning it.
Theres others Forums? JK .............. Thats pretty good 2 ride the season without servicing the filter after every freakin ride!

valco

Apr 30, 2009
I know the UMP is well known in the offroad race community and they just came out with one for the teryx.

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
The Ump seems to work well but it does leave power on the table. By opening the end of the canister I picked up 2 tenths in 450' on a RZR.

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
No K&N for me! only on the street.
I have found the UMP to filter well even with the cap removed. It appears that the "swirl" hurts the flow. By removing the cap the swirl is eliminated so the filter gets dirty quicker but it makes better power & still cleans the air well. In real nasty races I put the cap back on.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
dragonfire canister worked good didnt lose any power but alittle pain in the butt to change filter out at race & yes we clogged it in the silt beds.The k&n filter works good if you clean and lube it before every trip but will not work on turbo motor in sand pulls sand right through no matter what we.Same with foam filter on turbo motor and i hate cleaning and lubing the foam filter because you have to use the sticky lube and it gets every were. For the turbo motor we ran paper filter change it when looks dirty.we are using a 2 stage filter with plasti canister that flows twice as much dragon fires canister & takes about 5 sec to change.I was also told this filter will be on every desert car in about 2yrs because it flows way more than any of those old canister types.

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
I have found the UMP to filter well even with the cap removed. It appears that the "swirl" hurts the flow. By removing the cap the swirl is eliminated so the filter gets dirty quicker but it makes better power & still cleans the air well. In real nasty races I put the cap back on.
Im with this guy,I run a foam PRO DESIGN FILTER with no lid on my air box. K&N filters are for the road and suck alot of dirt through. When my mechanic put these filters up to a light you can see day light through the K&N filters. How many people blow motors that have K&N filters? Jd23,Dan,etc..much more
I have a K&N power up KIT FOR SALE,includes:Billet collar,K&N FILTER and pre filter. Fits RHINO 05-07 Price:$100.00

I have never seen or used a UMP filter but seems to work great.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Might as well just run a big paper filter with out a canister then. The swirl is what throws the big dirt away from the filter. Ive also heard of people cutting the fins off the filter for more flow. IMO it defeats the purpose of a canister filter. But its still better than a K&N!

valco

Apr 30, 2009
Reading these posts I think I'm going to stay away from the k&n filter and look into the ump. Is any one here running yhis on a teryx?
It's also sounds like a good foam filter works better than the gauze filters...

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
K&N+Offroad=blown motor. If you are going to run in a dusty area's you need to run a UMP or similar canister style filter system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000