Glamis Paddle Tire Testing yesterday.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
So a bunch of our guys went down to glamis this weekend and tried out a few different Skat-Traks paddles and some STUs,
All of the Cars were 2015 XP1K 4 seaters,
they had 12 paddle staggered glider vs the 14 Paddle staggered and some STUs. The 14 Paddle tire car was a 1/2 car faster start to finish in the races than the 12 Paddle car. When chasing each other thru the dunes the 14 paddle car felt like it could pull up on the 12 paddle car. but they are close overall.
The other 2015 XP1K 4 seater was a TMW car with there choice of STUs all the way around. and yes the added weight of the TMW cage, Door skin add on, seats, roof, lites, makes it heavier for sure. The TMW car was not even close by any means. So he to is now taking the STUs off that they insisted on.
Lots of nasty witches eyes out there and on both night rides two cars got Bent tie rods and a Blown rack on one that launched into the face of a witches eye. LOL Fast night rides in the beginning of the season are sketchy LOL. That was a 2:30 am bed time story.:eek:
So remember to be carefull and don't wad them up the first night out. Hehehe

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Well the STU combination is considerably heavier so you know what that means.
Tim @ Extreme Tire Loaned a few Skats to play with and they are light weight.
Tim likes the STI Pro Lite rim which for a 14" rim is lite at 8.5 lbs. the rear Skat weighs 19 lbs so 27.5 lbs is light.
front buff Skat is 13lbs. and the 8.5 lbs STI so 22 lbs.
The weight just makes a huge difference.
The TMW car is Heavier to which never helps. it was not even close at all. and when I say that it was bad it was bad. . Now the guys with heavy built cruisers will be so out paced by the Turbo Max it will be ridiculous.
Most of our group does not do all of the Show boat add on goodies cause they know how it affects the car. But to each his own.:D

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
I'm thinking about stagger cutting mine before next weekend. What're your thoughts?

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Maybe not even stagger cutting them, maybe cutting each paddle on both sides to lighten them up a little. That's the intent

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Maybe not even stagger cutting them, maybe cutting each paddle on both sides to lighten them up a little. That's the intent
Cutting some can help maybe a little bit. But there is a few things to consider to. When stagger cutting the STU you will have in the middle of the tire paddle that has no more shoulder strength and that cut paddle will fold backwards on acceleration Which hurts performance to. STUs are usually intended and sold to run on your car in 2 wd. So they have more paddle count. Skat-Trak tires with the Buffed front tires work together in 4 wd so the front tires actually help pull you out of trouble to. Skats extreme paddle is always less than stus we have never had a a car in camp out perform our Skats yet. They really do work that much better. Tim will sell you some around the $840 range so that's pretty reasonable.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Which paddle size was the XP with STUs running and were they a full paddle or 70/30 or 80/20 cut?

Interesting on how the 14 paddle performed a little better than the 12 paddle. Also were they the 30" skats or the 26" with the same rollout?

Mearsman - you are running a full paddle? If so you can have them cut to a 80/20. If you really want to make them lighter the comp cut will shave some weight.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Which paddle size was the XP with STUs running and were they a full paddle or 70/30 or 80/20 cut?

Interesting on how the 14 paddle performed a little better than the 12 paddle. Also were they the 30" skats or the 26" with the same rollout?

Mearsman - you are running a full paddle? If so you can have them cut to a 80/20. If you really want to make them lighter the comp cut will shave some weight.
Roll out on the tires was the same. One thing we need to do now is swap the tires on the cars and see what happens. You know how some cars are just a smidge faster for whatever reason.
The STU car is a little heavier with his TMW goodies. His STUs were the Full cut. It doesn't really matter much he was so far gone.
14" Skat with STI Prolite wheel rear weighs 27.5 lbs that's lite...:D:D

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
I'm running the full cut 26" blaster.
If I cut em, what should I use for a template?

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I am curious if he had the #1 or #2 size paddle on the STU. The #2 paddle is taller and gets more bite. Also I am wonder if a 80/20 cut would help out.

When you say far gone how much are we talking?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I love my 7 paddle skats and smoothies on .50 caliber beadlocks. My skats spin a little and hook up hard on the launch. Warlock and Tim know their tires.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Mega, didn't you stagger cut a set of your paddles? If my memory serves me correct, you do it with a heated up floor scraper from harbor freight?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Mega, didn't you stagger cut a set of your paddles? If my memory serves me correct, you do it with a heated up floor scraper from harbor freight?
yup, i even have a youtube video of me doing it to some STU's that i had on my RZR1. Its very easy to do.

The staggered cut Skats i made had a loose feeling at 60mph+.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
I am curious if he had the #1 or #2 size paddle on the STU. The #2 paddle is taller and gets more bite. Also I am wonder if a 80/20 cut would help out.

When you say far gone how much are we talking?
The TMW ,STU paddled car was over 8 cars back. The 2015 Stock XP!K 4 seater with aired down big horns beat it to. LMAO. Whats that mean ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000