GNCC UTV Racing *Dead*/Why?Press?Impact?GOAT?Legacy?

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
Despite many on the west coast (somehow) believing that desert racing is, was and always has been the end all/be all primarily due to geographical realities (ditto in the east concerning their favorites) the GNCC UTV series was the average UTV owner's true connection with racing not to mention average racers.

I find it fascinating in this age of social media addiction that few UTV owners seem wiling to reflect on the ground breaking series itself or why it was ended at inarguably the very pinnacle of UTV popularity. For a clue, consider the following from UTVUG member dnf736 (Edit: Please remove this link if not appropriate as i found the original thread myself):
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/GNCC-drops-UTVs,1346197?page=1

Per Davey Coombs who is heavily involved in the US Motocross Series, the GNCC series and the MXoN when it comes to America.

"...It was a combination of things, many of which were correctly mentioned above (spectator getting hit, cars catching fire), including the changing insurance market. But in the whole big scheme of things we produce motorcycle- and ATV-events, and a UTV is much more like a small car than a dirt bike. They really didn't fit well with all that we do on any given weekend GNCC. Electric Assist mountain bikes, on the other hand, are much more like a motorcycle than a car and fit well with our existing disciplines and the way a whole GNCC is produced with the spectators often able to roam the courses and woods...."

The silence surrounding the death of this series 2 1/2 months after its passing coupled with an apparent "who cares” attitude amongst a UTV “community” which evidently does not exist will unfortunately define this sport for a long time. I can accept the fact that UTVs might well belong on closed courses. This upcoming reality will be due to the obvious well documented neglect of organizers or more accurately the refusal of fans to police themselves which other countries have already proved to be an impossible expectation. Everyone accepted and refused to change these realities a long time ago and the GNCC simply had too much to lose as other series certainly do to ignore them any longer.

If and when(?) any UTV desert racing series suffers the same fate it will be due to the collective yawns heard since September of 2018 when the death of the GNCC series couldn’t even generate an intelligent conversation or two involving the future of off road type racing and its obvious positive impact on the sport.

Sad.

Last edited:

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
...I'll throw a vote in for William Yokley/Yokley Racing as the GOAT here.
An approachable man who loves God and who persevered during the darker days of the sport. With, 'out east' somewhat of a red-headed step child regional marketing atmosphere as compared to what flourished elsewhere it had to be tough and the competition even tougher. For a taste of what it was like to compete and win in the GNCC for decades look up Dave Coombs Sr. and the talent/passion in this region for motorsports competitions spanning decades.
https://www.wewentfast.com/2018/07/29/the-ballad-of-big-dave/
GNCC UTV Wins by Event (2008-2017):
https://gnccracing.com/pages/utv-wins-by-event

William Yokley
  • Multi-Time Pro and Pro Production GNCC Winner
  • 1998 Silver State Pro Class Champion
  • 1999 Silver State Pro Class Champion
  • 2000 Silver State Pro Class Champion
  • 2002 Silver State Pro Class Champion
  • 2003 Las Vegas 200 Overall ATV Winner (Solo)
  • 2001 BAJA 1000 Overall Winning Team
  • 2005 BAJA 1000 3rd Overall ATV
  • 2001 GNCC Banquet Swampfox Award
  • 2002 GNCC Banquet Sportsmanship Award
  • 2004 GNCC Banquet Sportsmanship Award
  • 2010 GNCC Banquet Sport Ambassador Award
  • 2000 GNCC Pro Class Ranked 2nd
  • 2001 GNCC Pro Class Ranked 4th
  • 2002 GNCC Pro Class Ranked 3rd
  • 2003 GNCC Pro Class Ranked 3rd
  • 2004 GNCC Pro Class Ranked 2nd
  • 2005 GNCC Pro Class Ranked 3rd
  • 2006 GNCC Pro Class Ranked 5th
  • 2006 WPSA ProQuad Terrain Challenge Ranked 3rd
  • 2007 GNCC Pro Class Ranked 11th
  • 2008 GNCC Pro Class Ranked 8th
  • 2008 GNCC National Side-by-Side Champion
  • 2009 GNCC National Side-by-Side Ranked 4th
  • 2009 GNCC Pro Class Ranked 18th
  • 2010 GNCC National Side-by-Side Champion
  • 2011 GNCC National Side-by-Side Champion
  • 2011 WORCS National Side-by-Side Champion
  • 2012 GNCC National Side-by-Side Champion
  • 2013 GNCC National Side-by-Side Champion
  • 2014 GNCC UTV Pro Class ranked 5th
  • 2015 GNCC UTV Pro Class ranked 10th

Last edited:

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
one caught on fire in the infield where all the spectators were, tons of folks watched as a guy barely got out. a ton of them have wrecked in the woods, hit trees with by-standers narrowly being missed. a few people have been hit. the courses are lined with people pretty much start to finish similar to baja races. people everywhere, practically standing on the edge of the course. the UTVs are such big "projectiles" and the drivers are pushing them at absolutely insane speeds its a wonder people havent been maimed from these things running off course, poor line choices, or getting bumped in a corner and getting punted out into bystanders. GNCC is an amazing sport, but with the exposure, the amount of people at each race, and the amount of spectators at each race. i can only imagine if the insurance company saw a race and realized how close people were to the course, how fast the machines are going, i feel certain the insurance company would pull the plug.

i have a 40 acre race track here at my test facility to test GNCC and cross country race machines, lap timing system and all to see gains in my work. when i told my insurance company i was building it, and needed insurance for customers to be able to come to my place and drive their machine on my track, the insurance company had to call many underwriters to find someone who would write a policy to protect me the land owner from someone racing their machine on my track at my place in the event they hurt themselves and tried to sue me. insurance for ME to drive their machine on my track was little to nothing, but the insurance for THEM to drive their machine on my track was insane. and now i pay $6600 per year for a policy just so someone can come ride my track, and if they get hurt and sue me the insurance company will protect me and pay out for the incident. doesnt matter if its only 2 people per year or 200, just not supposed to be "multiple" machines on track at the same time. so i cant imagine what the insurance must cost for GNCC to be able to run 80 SxS on course at the same time WITH spectators within arms reach of race traffic. i can imagine the insurance is either a fortune, or non existent.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Sounds to me like they are scraping UTV's to go after the electric mountain bike crowd...makes sense...mountain biking and mountain bike racing has been on the rise in the last few years...for a "woods series" it makes perfect sense, bring in new names, new sponsor, and open yourself up to products that could actually be used and sold while showcased at the races...sounds like a much bigger market share possibility for all, hope the gassers and the battery chargers don't get in a feud!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000