All UTV's Going through starters like crazy Arctic cat

Rosiequeen

Nov 23, 2015
I have a 2013 Arctic Cat wildcat 1000 X. My starter went out of it so I called my dealer and they put a new starter and gears because the teeth of the starter and gears were sheared off. The Arctic Cat worked for about a week with no problems.. Then it happened the second time. But this time it threw the reduction gear through the case.. We took it back to the dealer and they basically rebuilt the motor side where the starter and gears go. Well we went and picked the Arctic Cat up again and 2 days later the 3rd starter sheared teeth and gear again. So then again we took it back to the dealer and he put another starter on it, told us it was finished and it ran perfect.( starter 4)We were able to start it and get it on the trailer with no problems. Got home from about a 4 hour trip (2 there and 2 home) just to find that the starter went out AGAIN. It is now in shop and they went through everything. And still cant find the reason behind why it is eating through starters. Is there anything you can help with or give advice about?

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
1- first thing to check is the sprag (one way bearing) on the flywheel. When you shear the teeth off the starter the metal shavings get in the one way bearing and chew it up. This won't let the starter release when the motor fires up. So it forcefully spins the starter continually. I recommend taking the one way off and cleaning the race it sits on and installing a new one way bearing.

2- these 1000 have a good bit of kick back. Which I have seen countless times kick back and shear the teeth off the starter. I had the same problem a while back in a Suzuki with a high compression piston. The engine had a lot of kick back. And as long as the engine would start you never have a problem. But if it kicks back it would wring the gear off the starter every time. We went thru 10 starters before I machined the cases to allow for a bigger starter and custom gear reduction starter.

In your case the wildcat WILL accept the starter and first gear from an arctic cat 700H1. This starter has fewer teeth and with it's mating gear they produce a lot more tooth contact patch to keep the starter from stripping out. I talked to an arctic cat friend of mine who has seen this many times he said the 700H1 gear and starter is the fix for your wildcat

Reactions: tatum

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000