All UTV's GPS/ Navigation

South Bay 4 Life

California
Dec 5, 2011
Torrance
Im sick of not being able to find the "Flagpole" in Glamis and am looking for a GPS unit.
Nah, I'm kidding but I AM looking for feedback for a mounted GPS unit.

What is everyone using? I ride desert and dunes. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

South Bay 4 Life

California
Dec 5, 2011
Torrance
Saw some older threads; they recommended the GM540C Lowrance GPS / GM5200c, sold by PCI.

Whats the difference between the GM540C and the new Elite 5m Baja Kit GPS?

Last edited:

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Lowrance HRS-5...use both in Baja and in the Teryx. Great unit!

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
The 540c is a standard unit and I believe that the Elite is HD.

Sooo...here is my take. For racing you actually want a lower tech, simplier to use, unit. The less detail the better as you are simply following a course and/or looking for hazards. Topography, towns, etc are just noise and confusing when you are trying to haul A$$. So the standard 480c, 540c and larger units really work well in this application. Easy to program, easy to zoom in and out and update really fast.

For play riding in the dez/dunes, I think the HD units from PCI would be great. Tons of features, lots of bling, super detailed, etc. As someone said before you can hook up to tunes, and some even have inputs for vehicle data and create a sort of dash board screen. Pretty trick! If you go this route be careful and ask lots of questions about the antenna. I believe they come with an internal antenna, but they are pretty worthless and update slowly. You will want to get the external antenna, but plan on spending some decent jing on this (I am guessing another couple hundred bucks). PCI also offers some classes on how to get the most out of your GPS.

But for my play riding I just use my color, battery powered Garmin 60CSX hand held that I typically use on my KTM. I just strap that baby onto my XP900 and it has topo, you can upload geo-caches, has all roads, towns etc on it. WAAAAAAY too small for racing but great for play riding.

My dos pesos!

PCI Race Radios

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jun 29, 2011
Long Beach, CA
www.pciraceradios.com
Saw some older threads; they recommended the GM540C Lowrance GPS / GM5200c, sold by PCI.

Whats the difference between the GM540C and the new Elite 5m Baja Kit GPS?
The GM540C is a good unit but Lowrance has discontinued ALL GM (Globalmap) models. They have been replaced with the HDS units. A replacement model for the GM540C is the HDS5M or the Elite 5 Baja. The Elite Baja is a scaled down simplistic version of the HDS. The biggest difference is the Elite does not have an "EXIT" button whichs allows you to back track out of the screen you are in. Instead you would need to click "Menu-Enter" It will do everything you need a gps to do for recreation or racing and it comes with an external antenna! The HDS units have an internal antenna but will need to be mounted in a location where the unit can lock onto the satelites. A seperate external antenna can be purchased if you are mounting the HDS unit into a dash or somewhere in the vehicle where it does not acquire a signal. Both the HDS and Elite models are capable of loading maps for U.S and Baja. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000