Hand Controls for RZR 1000?

Bryanfba

Nov 9, 2014
I would like to see if anyone has any experience installing a twist throttle and hand brake on a 2014 or 2015 RZR 1000. My son was injured on a Motocross Bike accident in March of this year and is paralyzed from the chest down. He is ready to get back out on the trails and have some fun. We just purchased a 2015 RZR 1000 in Voodoo Blue and now trying to outfit it for him to drive.

This is a drive by wire system and I was just wondering if there as a reasonable way to install a right hand hand brake with a twist or thumb thottle? Would something off of a Polaris 850 Touring ATV work and would it plug or wire into the RZR system with out disabling the floor throttle and foot controlled brake? Does anyone know if this has been done yet?

Thanks

113Gilbert

Oct 15, 2013
Hi Bryanfba I work very close with mike at mike box wheel chairs same guy who builds Aarons chairs from nitro circus boxwheelchairs.com he has built many hand controls for different vehicles we have been talking about building some for my car just so the kids could give it a spin if you would like I could talk to him and see what he could do for you

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
i put some standard car style hand controls on my friends 14' xp1000. kit was made for the car but the box description went up to 2012 or 13'. i had to modify the steering column mount a bit. other than that they work fine. he uses that style of hand controls on his daily vehicle but doesnt like em for offroad. on his drakart he used a honda pilot wheel and really likes that setup. so we are gonna try and do something like that.

Bryanfba

Nov 9, 2014
That would be great if you wouldn't mind asking Mike what he suggest the best way to install hand controls. Their are some traditional hand control options like used in a car but we would really like to have a hand controlled throttle and brake mounted on a bar to help with torso stability in rough conditions since my sons injury is so high (T-4) he does not have much torso control or strength. Thanks for your help!

Bryanfba

Nov 9, 2014
The Honda Pilot steering wheel is a good idea. Since the RZR is a drive by wire machine we would have to have the cable pull the foot pedal and the same on the brake I guess.

racemx587

Standing On My 4 Big Horns SUCKA! - UTVUnderground
Mar 28, 2009
There are a lot of different options you can use. Do you want to use the same lever for gas and brake? I have a C5 level injury, and have tried just about every option imaginable until I found a system that works. Let me know if you need any help. Sounds like you want to keep the foot controls so others can drive it?

Bryanfba

Nov 9, 2014
We are picturing a handle bar cluster/combination of brake and throttle on a Handel bar shaped mount off the floor or steering column. This would allow for something solid to grip on to and help with the lack of ab control or strength.

What do you use and can you send some photos?

Thanks

WERACE

Walker Evans Racing - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Feb 23, 2011
Redlands
www.walkerevansent.com
Give Mark Holz at Holz Racing Products a call, he has a pretty trick set up for the Maverick and XP1000. Josh Fredrick is currently running the Maverick kit and I think there is a handful of guys running the XP kit.

racemx587

Standing On My 4 Big Horns SUCKA! - UTVUnderground
Mar 28, 2009
We are picturing a handle bar cluster/combination of brake and throttle on a Handel bar shaped mount off the floor or steering column. This would allow for something solid to grip on to and help with the lack of ab control or strength.

What do you use and can you send some photos?

Thanks

Bryan,

Joey did an article on my car, I totally removed the foot controls, but maybe you can get a few ideas. Here's the link....

http://www.utvunderground.com/james-jaramillo-wildcat-build-11709.html

Bryanfba

Nov 9, 2014
This looks like a great set up! I appreciate you sending this to me. I will ask my son to read through this and I am sure he will have some questions.

Thanks again for your incite!

KCCO

Nov 19, 2014
That is a great set up. I'm trying to solve a similar problem on my 2015 Kawi Mule. I'm not doing any racing these days, just trying to get back to the backcountry.

I bought car-style push-pull hand controls for the Mule (pull - throttle, push-brake). Throttle works fine, brakes not so much. I'm not walking, but do have some, but not a lot, torso and arm strength. Does anyone know of a way to make the brakes work with less force?

Perhaps a change to the hydraulic system?

I'd like to use my existing hand controls and keep the foot pedals.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kel

WERACE

Walker Evans Racing - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Feb 23, 2011
Redlands
www.walkerevansent.com
That is a great set up. I'm trying to solve a similar problem on my 2015 Kawi Mule. I'm not doing any racing these days, just trying to get back to the backcountry.

I bought car-style push-pull hand controls for the Mule (pull - throttle, push-brake). Throttle works fine, brakes not so much. I'm not walking, but do have some, but not a lot, torso and arm strength. Does anyone know of a way to make the brakes work with less force?

Perhaps a change to the hydraulic system?

I'd like to use my existing hand controls and keep the foot pedals.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kel
It's a mechanical brake system?

Extend the length of the pedal arm.

BLINGSTAR

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Check out DP Performance in Utah. They have done builds for people with full hand controls in the cab.

KCCO

Nov 19, 2014
Hey, thanks for the reply.

It's hydraulic drum brakes. Extending the length of the pedal arm would definitely help; though I don't have an easy way to do that.

I just have to push the hand control too hard, and too far to get the brakes to engage in any meaningful way (and I can't get them to lock up). Given that I live in the mountains of Colorado I've gotten real friendly with the E-Brake (but I think that only engages the rear brakes and definitely moves my left hand too far from the throttle/steering wheel - not good).

I was hoping I could adjust the brakes to make more "touchy" or do something with master cylinder or something...

Thanks, again.

Kel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000