Hi, My name is Tyler and Im an alcoholic

Baja_XJ

Feb 19, 2012
Bedford, IND.
New to the forum, new to SxS, not new to fabrication or offroad racing. Im from Bedford Indiana, been racing practically my entire life since 6 years old. Started in go karts and now in a built race truck. Came to the forum for information on building a UTV, looking to shift gears and build a DRS1 Rhino from the ground up to race in TREC, MAORA, and 1 or 2 desert events a year

Baja_XJ

Feb 19, 2012
Bedford, IND.
Ive been looking around at prefab'ed chassis and they seem kinda pricey. Yours isnt too bad but I havent decided yet whether I want to buy or build. I want to go full force and build to the max but I seen they allow up to 77" track and 107" wheelbase but with 30" tires that seems excessive. I know the track width and wheelbase are at speed stability things but with 30" tires does that work or do they centerhang on stuff? Right now thats the point Im trying to figure out is getting a good track and wheelbase decided. I want as wide as I can go but now so wide it kills it in deep 2track, same with the wheelbase

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Since the frame is has stock suspension pick ups then with a +6" long travel kit it ends up being around 70-72" wide. The car in the pics has a wheelbase of 98" and a +6 long travel making it about 71" wide. This is the size I would recommend for your type of racing. I am currently making a long travel kit that will work with our hubs that use VW spindle snouts and 1.25" tapered roller bearings. My suspension will push the tires out to around 76" total width for the guys looking for the max width. Currently there are no rhino kits built for this purpose. I am also building front steer spindles with a killer steering rack that is CHEAP compared to what we currently pay. Here in the desert we hit very high speeds and we don't seem to have a problem with the length. I helped with the rules for the class and the reason we stretched it to 107" is because the new RZR XP4 comes stock that long. The idea is to allow anyone that is tired of paying tons of $$ for a belt drive time bomb motor the opportunity to swap a cheap pump gas motor (over 2X the HP) into any production chassis and come race. Just so you know, the tires on the car in the pics are only 26" bighorns. That car with 30" tires would do great.

Baja_XJ

Feb 19, 2012
Bedford, IND.
Im wanting to build the car for the desert that way if I can afford to run a good desert race once or twice a year, its a car that will compete. If its built for the desert it will run great here. I dont know the guys name but there is a guy here that runs the TREC series in a full desert build rhino but its not street bike powered and the wheelbase isnt excessive. It runs off and leaves. The TREC series here is alot like a short desert race. The MAORA series is mostly short course but Im wanting to build it to tackle the desert

mc93yj

Mar 29, 2010
hobart indiana
The guy in trec has a dragonfire kawasaki Nessie with a 840 kit on it.yes it does look cool but he has had nothing but problems with it and now it's for sale.and I'm not trying to be a ass but he doesn't leave everyone behind I won 6 out of the 7 races there last year.you can see me pull away from him in a video on you tube just type In Mc93yj.have you raced the trec race before there first one is march 31 I believe

mc93yj

Mar 29, 2010
hobart indiana
I missed that maora race didn't get broken parts in time I had gotten hit by a jeep he said he didn't see me coming and turned right into me.does maora have sxs races on a short course style track somewhere?I would be interested in racing one if they did.

spangs

IlliNOISE - UTVUnderground Approved
May 25, 2009
illinois
www.spangsfab.com
i was racing my teryx with MAORA in 09 but was the only one ever at the races we had 5 at one race then no one was showing up then i was racing the Trec series after that evan thow i did race at all last year but will be back for this year with a little more than a stocker like befor here are some pick of mine iv been working on in the shop.

spangs

IlliNOISE - UTVUnderground Approved
May 25, 2009
illinois
www.spangsfab.com
That was the first race I went to also when my profile pic was taken. went to 4 that year and one no one else came to the 2nd one for the class. the Ohio race we had 5 out there then it was just me after that and a little buggy at the fall classic.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Baja_XJ

Feb 19, 2012
Bedford, IND.
I like racing the trucks but the class is unreliable. Theres only a handful of us and it takes 4 to make a class so if even 1 guy doesnt show up, we dont race that weekend. Im wanting to build a UTV of the same magnatude and maybe get the MAORA UTV class going again with the guys that have stadiumlites, mini buggies and UTVs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000