History: The Monster Mav Chronicles

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I will be using this forum to share with the members and casual viewers, the history and chronology of our race car.

A bit of history about the car
My brother Rick and I started building the car in February of last year. Around January of 2013, Marc had brought a near new 2013 Maverick 1000 R Xrs to another shop to be built, and the builder somewhat dropped the ball on the project. He started to build the roll cage, and that's as far as he got. My brother and I took over from there, completing the project in time for a short race in Mexico to use as a shake down for the 2013 Baja 500.

The Rosarito 200/Our First Race
Mostly a locals race, we showed up a day early to pre run the 50 mile loop. Starting near the back of the field, Marc had the car up to 3rd or 2nd overall by the end of the first lap. We raced for the overall lead most of the day until clutch problems and a broken p/s box gear took us out.

The 2013 Baja 500
We entered this race anxious to see how our car matched up with the best of the best. Confident as always, Marc was off the line 4 or 5 places back. By the Ojos road crossing 40 miles in, he had already passed every car in our class, and had a 5 minute lead. Vapor lock issues started to cause problems around RM 60 or so, and by RM 150, our day was done. DNF #2 for The Monster Mav.

The 2013 Vegas to Reno
In preparation for this race, w rebuilt our exhaust system from the header pipes back, in an effort to solve the vapor lock issues suffered during the Baja 500. We removed the muffler from under the fuel cell, and replaced it with 2 smaller ones dumping out the side, right behind the driver side rear bulk head.
Right off of the start, 2 miles in, we got our first of what would be 5 flats on the day. Early on, Marc clipped a motorcycle that was stuck in a silt bed and ripped off his foot peg. Then, the vaporlock demons re-emerged, and plagued us all day. Lost a clutch around RM 370, and finally the motor let go around RM 400 or 450. DNF # 3.

The 2013 Baja 1000
We prepared tirelessly for this race. Marc knows the Baja terrain as good as anyone, and better than most. This race, was the debut for the Monster green frame and ITP tires. The car was on display at the 2013 SEMA show in Las Vegas the week of the big race. It had been totally gone through and detailed for the show, and was looking as badass as ever. We learned that our vapor lock problems were more fuel pump mounting issues than exhaust/heat transfer issues, and replaced the complete fuel cell along with all of its plumbing to address them prior to this race. We ran in the top pack of cars for the first half of the race. Our crew missed a planned re-fueling at RM 370 right before the gnarly silt beds. We consequently ran out of gas, and lost about 1/2 hour. Then, at RM 450 or so, things took a turn for the worse. We lost a clutch, and broke off the stud inside of the crankshaft to boot. It took Marc 3-4 hours to repair it and make his way to the next checkpoint/pitstop at RM 495. We just made it through the check minutes before it closed and then lost the motor at RM 515. Another DNF

The 2013 Henderson 250
We were determined to finish and win a race by years end, and entered the Henderson 250 to accomplish just that. We had clutch issues, as well as a flat tire or two and couldn't make it around in time to be allowed to start the third lap. Something about a grand prix finish or whatever. Missed it by just a few minutes. The Cognito boys were the third or fourth and final car allowed to do lap 3. It was an epic battle for the Murray's as they were racing for the points championship. Their finish tied them with JX, and they lost the championship due to prior race standings. DNF #5 for us.

Needless to say that, after a lot of hard work and effort, our 2013 season was a disaster! A learning curve to say the least, we were way over confident in our readiness to compete in the big leagues in the Pro Sportsman 1900 class. Adjustments were made in the off season in preparation for the 2014 campaign. Our goal for 2014 was to run for the points title in the SCORE series, and throw in a couple of BITD races as well.

Attachments

Beach Leo

Way-Good
Mar 6, 2011
Mt Shasta & Mt Diablo
Hi Reid,

Thank-You for all the great info and story's about building and racing

You make it very interesting, entertaining and fun

Folks like you is what make a lot of us Fans of a sport you so much love

Any-way just wanted to say Thank-You and Congrats on baja win

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Hi Reid,

Thank-You for all the great info and story's about building and racing

You make it very interesting, entertaining and fun

Folks like you is what make a lot of us Fans of a sport you so much love

Any-way just wanted to say Thank-You and Congrats on baja win
Thank you very much, Leo. It is my goal to share my knowledge with you all to help you skip some of the hardships that I had to go through. I don't want to leave before spreading my experience and information out for all to benefit from.

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Sub'd. Greatness... I doubt most people who read about you guys 500 win ever realize you lost for entire year prior.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Thanks for the history of the car. I really enjoy your openness and honesty.

Question - Did you ever figure out why the motors went? I was under the impression the Rotax motors were as close to bullet proof as you can be.

Thanks

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Thanks for the history of the car. I really enjoy your openness and honesty.

Question - Did you ever figure out why the motors went? I was under the impression the Rotax motors were as close to bullet proof as you can be.

Thanks
Yeah, Marc and I thought the stocker would take us through the entire season. At he V2R, the crankcase breather hose that attaches to the air box was left disconnected and we sucked dirt directly into the intake plenum. The motor still lasted 400+ miles, all the while receiving a steady diet of silt!

In the 1000, more silt into the motor via the stock air box. I have since installed a canister filter.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Thanks for the reply.

Dirt/silt and the internals of a motor do not mix well. You would think the manufactures would have a better designed airbox for these things. The Commander had similar issues with the airbox design.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
We've had tons of problems out the stock air box pulling crap in from dust to water. I wish they would build something a little bit better.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
The 2014 San Felipe 250
As always, it came down to the 11th hour in preparing for the SF250. I did my usual stint. 70-80 hrs/wk, then ramp up to around 110-120 hrs/wk in the final week before the race. It was a new season, and we felt good about tour chances of a years worth of podiums. Marc did extensive pre running as always, and was ready to race. On the Wednesday before the race, my finger started bugging me for unknown reasons.

We left mid Wednesday afternoon for Calexico, where we'd cross into Mexico. Upon arriving at the border, we noticed that our trailer lights were out on both tow vehicles, and it was getting dark. It took 3 hours to figure it all out, and we arrived in SF around midnight. Got some needed rest, and went through contingency mid day Friday. Another party line! By now, my finger is turning red, and is no doubt infected. Had to hustle on Friday night to assemble a tool bag for the car, and tie up misc. loose ends. Went to bed around 1 a,m. and I couldn' sleep. I now had a fever, and my finger was twice the size of my thumb. Race morning we all got the word that there was a last minute course change. It played right into our hands because Marc knows the area intimately. He immediately took charge, and called an emergency meeting to re assign the logistical duties to the chase crews. In less than 15 minutes, he had everyone re-assigned with a sense of calm and certainty that let us all know, we got this one.

We started in the back of the pack, and immediately started picking off cars. At RM 40 or so, he had the JX car in his sights, then BAM! a flat tire and immediately after that, a belt broke. I was close by, and intersected him on the course to help get him back on track. 25 or so minutes later, he's off, but back to 8 or 9th position. Then the rain started. Coming out of the hills into Valley T was his territory. Passed another UTE and played with a class 8 before passing him in the winding and wet hills dropping into Valley T. At this time, I was waiting for him to come thru, and once he did, it was pharmacy time for me and my finger. It was so bad that the pain made me throw up. Miserable, nauseated pain. Saw a doc, and got some pills for infection and pain, and headed out. I saw Marc for the last time at the final Baja pits where the course crossed back over the highway with about 35-40 miles left to go. He came thru in 4th position, 1/2 hour behind JX, and 15 minutes behind the Murrays. We beat him to the finish line, and he beat every one else there as well. Our first finish in the Monster Mav, and our first victory to boot! I was in too much pain to get out and enjoy the moment.

When we got back to the house we rented, I went straight to the bedroom and laid down, just writhing in massive pain. I could hear the celebration and boasting amongst the team, and wished I could have joined in. I had to visit the emergency room upon arriving back in the states. My whole hand was now swollen, and as hot and infected as can be. The doc's said their best guess was I got bit by a poisonous spider. I then recalled the Wednesday before we left grabbing some wood from against the wall that had been there for a long time. I remember pulling my hand back because I felt a sharp prick in my finger. I wrote it off as a splinter of wood, and thought nothing more of it. The finger was all black, and my nail fell off within a week. It is still to this day, and my nail is just starting to grow back 3 months later!
We finally finished a race. 1st place!

The 2014 Mint 400
Again working massive hours, I became ill the day before we left. Don't know from what, but really felt like crap. Marc was doing a freestyle show for Roger on Friday, at the end of contingency row. He was busy with that, while I met with a couple of BRP engineers (actually, 1 engineer, and the motorsports director, I believe.) I got into the conting. line late in the day. A couple of hours later, and we were done and heading to Jean.

Can-am had a big diesel semi-trailer rig there, and all the teams, with the exception of Cory, pitted there. I woke up sick as can be on race day, and was puking my guts out all day! We lost a belt in the race, and had a flat tire that took awhile to change. Marc nailed a rock or something and folded the rim around the spindle. On the 2nd lap, we came through in 2nd or 3rd place. Marc got the lead on the second lap, and was holding it. I ran to the finish line to see the win for myself, and I didn't see Marc. He had another minor issue, and lost the lead to who else, the JX car! We were happy to podium for Can-am, and the BRP guys were stoked.
2nd race of the season, and a another finish. This time, 2nd place!

The Imperial Valley 250
Marc did another contingency day freestyle show here for Roger. I had the car 100% ready, so was able to enjoy my beer and take in some time to spy on the set ups of the other teams. This race was a no brainer for us. We went in confident, and raced hard. Again, up front all day, and in the end, finished 14 minutes behind the Murray's. Another flat, another belt! The Murray's totally missed the infield going out for lap 2, and we thought that we might get a first place due to penalties. SCORE, like BITD the race before, turned the officiating into a debacle, and gave out no penalties. We were good with our friends in the #1917 car getting the win. Can-am swept the podium with Cory in 3rd. They (BRP) must have been elated to sweep the Polaris guys. Another race, another finish. 2nd place again, and we are on a tear in 2014!

The 2014 Baja 500
Those of you following my post Baja 500 posts know the story here, so at the risk of redundancy, I'll cut to the chase. I'll finish this latwer. Gotta workl!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000