All UTV's How the clutch works!!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
here is some good reading on how our UTV clutches works.

this shows a dry clutch setup on a snomobile but the principles are the same.

this is a good example of how the RZR and Teryx work, the rhino with rollers and Cam plate would act similar in reguards to roller weight, but the cam plate is of a fixed angle and not as tuneable as the profile weights in the dry clutch setups, like Bronco or PDM.

How does the clutch system work? - Gates Snowmobile & ATV Belts

Rainman

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Rog - I was on Gates site two days go and found that page! Very good stuff...but Gates pissed me off as I have one of their sonic tension meters, but the CVT belts can't be used with it!!! It would make setting the belt so easy...guess I need to dig out my fish scale!:D

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
The big difference in the secondary between what I just read and the Rhino is the rhino is not full helix, therefore doesnt have near the torque sensing backshift ability that all others do. Its only helix for the first part of the movement.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
The big difference in the secondary between what I just read and the Rhino is the rhino is not full helix, therefore doesnt have near the torque sensing backshift ability that all others do. Its only helix for the first part of the movement.
yes it is a rotational style with pins in a groove in radiused slots, the effect is similar and torque sensing, but not to the degree that a snomobile helix has.

but for the basic SxS owner it provides soem good info on what is happening, don't ya think Court??

Bob, I had this site marked last year when searching for belt replacements, I used to use gates belts in all my snomobiles and had good luck, and was seeing if I could find one for a rhino.

Rog

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
Very good description of how the CVT works. I think a full helix type secondary would work a lot better for us, just havent had time to prove it. The pin and slot system works fine, just not sure why the slots start angled and then go straight, thus only torque sensing for the first part of the secondarys travel. Probably to 20mph or so. .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000