Yamaha how to wire lights

kdub41

Murder Red
Jan 27, 2009
Hemet
how do you wire lights up to a toggle switch? i want to install some light but have never done it before :/

kdub41

Murder Red
Jan 27, 2009
Hemet
that is a brilliant idea fo sho. ill be gettin that fo sho haha. cant wait to have my cousin build me my light bar

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
Dave @ Autotrend does incredible wiring - mostly EFI type stuff on street rods. I twisted his arm to start making these. He does great work and they are reasonably priced. And it makes hooking up lights REALLY easy and done properly with relays.

This is my favorite:

Freeezen

Aug 21, 2009
Orange County, CA
I would eventually like to wire up four lights on a light bar I have. I definitely see the benefits of the Autotrend fuse block, but the part I'm still fuzzy on is how to connect the wires from the lights to the two switches. I think I want the two outside lights on one switch and the two inside lights on the other swith and I don't know how to make that happen.

RhinoMaster

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor - Black Rhino Perf
Here's the Painless setup we sell.
Yamaha Rhino Electrical Parts - Weather Resistant Fuse Block W/Relay - 217 Fuse Block 7 Ignition Circuits - Black Rhino Performance

$99.15 gets you the 7 circuit version. 4 switched circuits, running through a heavy duty relay, and 3 constant hot circuits. Each circuit is capable of delivering 20 amps, WAY more than you could ever use in a UTV. $78.51 gets you a 3 circuit version with 2 switched and 1 hot circuit.

We've also just come out with a new version that we're building in-house. For $24.95 you get two circuits, one switched through a heavy-duty relay, and one constant hot.

Just some other alternatives...

Reactions: 1 person

RhinoMaster

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor - Black Rhino Perf
Just spent the whole weekend wiring cars, getting them ready for season, or long trips through Utah. It's amazing how many really terrible wiring jobs there are out there. Especially the ones we get in that are done by 'professionals' of some type.

What I can say is that it is well worth the time and expense to lay a proper foundation when wiring. Start off with a good quality power distribution product that supplies power directly from a battery through a heavy duty relay, and provides fused protection. An Autotrend, Painless, Black Rhino, all give you a good professional start. I also suggest adding a ground block, they're cheap, easy, and can avoid a LOT of problems. We often see wierd electical problems that end up being caused by poor ground. They are often the most difficult to diagnose.

Putting all of your electrical connection through a fuse block and grounding block also gives you an added benefit, if you mount them in close proximity. All of your connections are localized into one area so if anything DOES go wrong, they're all in one place.

Also.... remember to write down what you did. What fuse position covers what accessories. What wire color(s) did you use. Make notes and keep them with your owners manual or maintenance records. It could save you LOTS of time, frustration, and mistakes. And whenever you have electrical work done, be sure to give a copy to your service rep and show them where everything is. It might, just maybe, also save you a few $$ down the road when a service center is installing something new, and all the connections they need are already there, all laid out and easy!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000