How will the Turbo Maverick affect UTV racing?

Where Class Should The Turbo Maverick Race In?

• Total voters

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
i personally would not want to desert race a turbo car. More crap to go wrong, and it costs a lot of money to get to these races to deal with turbo issues. I hope the turbo stays out of the class for the long run so that i am not forced to build a turbo car for 2016.

The dsr1 cars have 180+ hp at crank and probly 140 minimum at the wheels, for some reason they have not done well in quite a long time, so i think the same might happen with a turbo car, and i don't want to deal with that personally while trying to keep up with the Jones's.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Oh no. RZR Forums rumors starting here now? lol I love when the "sources" start spewing stuff. Geeeeez

Ooh! I have a source too! Mine said Polaris might just pull the plug on the UTV industry. I guess between Can Am having more power & the first turbo, and with all the Polaris racers up in arms that Can Am is now going to dominate. And then with the new lawsuits filed against Arctic Cat for Patent infringement, Polaris is just so upset that they might just shut the doors and stick with Snow Sleds and build up their Victory & Indian Motorcycle division. This might also be why they went with a Chevy Ecotec engine in the new 3 wheel Slingshot too.

LOL!

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
i personally would not want to desert race a turbo car. More crap to go wrong, and it costs a lot of money to get to these races to deal with turbo issues. I hope the turbo stays out of the class for the long run so that i am not forced to build a turbo car for 2016.

The dsr1 cars have 180+ hp at crank and probly 140 minimum at the wheels, for some reason they have not done well in quite a long time, so i think the same might happen with a turbo car, and i don't want to deal with that personally while trying to keep up with the Jones's.
I agree that the long desert race beating will find the problems with the Turbo like you say its true that its more shit to break and cause a DNF. What I like about it being pushed and beat down is the part where the weakness in the Turbo configuration of oil lines and mounting points that can and will have issues will be discovered and passed on to the consumers unit in the future.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Oh no. RZR Forums rumors starting here now? lol I love when the "sources" start spewing stuff. Geeeeez
You mean the guy at the gas station with an XP on the trailer is not a "reliable source"?

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
How many out there are brand loyalist? Everyone is throwing out this polaris guys and can-am guy stuff. Like they would only support something if it was on there side of the isle.

I for one have no loyalty professionally or personally. We have been racing a turboed wildcat in some local desert races this year but are currently building a polaris for BITD. We could have just as easily pulled the turbo off and built the wildcat or bought a can-am. We chose the XP because we felt it was the best CURRENT platform and it fit in the CURRENT rules.

Changing the rules so a manufacturer can race a new model that they dropped late enough so the other companies can't counter is just stupid. I say start thinking of the racer that drops his own money to go out to race. I would feel bad for anyone who is currently building a car for 2015 whether it is a polaris, can-am or artic cat. Ya, all those cars are going to be outdated in a year or two anyway. But at least give them a chance for a season. If the rules said in a year, we will start allowing turbos, or bigger tires or whatever, that allows both manufactures and racers alike to consider their options moving forward.

The rule of no turbos is NOT there to hold back the sport, its there to make a solid foundation for the racer to consider if it is worth his time and $ vs. his chance to win. This is the pro class we are talking about here. If the only reason you race is to have fun then go hang out in the sportsman class. But to have the rug pulled out from under you after you have invested hundreds of hours and $$$$ out the wazoo just because someone that isn't racing thinks it would be fun to watch the newest RULE BREAKING GIZMO race just pisses me off. For me and many other people out there working on a car, they haven't even gotten to race it yet and some think it would be ok to just change the playing field. Constantly changing the rules so the average man can't even keep up is a damn good way to kill the class.

At least give any rule change a year before it take effect or we might as well not have any f-ing rules. People willing to pony up is the only thing that makes a class grow and if rules don't mean a damn thing (at least for a specified time) then why even try if the next rule change could guarantee you will loose?

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I suppose I would be pissed too in your shoes. I really don't see anyone choosing to run the turbo model unless they are a recreational rider that wants to run some races or the manufacturer wants a factory sponsored rider to promote.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I domt know why were are discussing this. We know we will see one racing pro 1900 at parker if not before.

racer570

Apr 10, 2012
houston ms
I have been racing for years, and know one thing for sure. The fastest way to kill a class, is to change the rules for one person, or machine. I have always said, tell me the rules to the game, and I will decide if I want to play, but don't change the rules in the middle of the game. Also, I run a rzr, and am not worried at all about the turbo mav. I doesn't think the clutch and belt system can stand the torque spikes of the turbo.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
oh so im doing it wrong .. I need to spend 5000.00 more on a built motor to win ? but you just said you win with a stock motor ... im confused ?:confused:

you guys keep saying your car is 400 pds heavier then others in your class but you need to stop with the empty weight on the car and figure it out with driver and co driver ... I take shits bigger then your co-driver :eek:
At the risk of sounding redundant here, rules are rules, and they currently do not allow for turbochargers in our class. Period. Nor should they until all of the major players (currently the three long travel UTV mfgs.) offer turbos on the vehicles that they sell. If Polaris comes out with a turbo, I expect they would up the ante as they always do. Then I'm sure the others will follow suit and give us something tangible to debate.

Boasting Alert!
Allowing turbo's, only to add a weight penalty as mentioned elsewhere in this forum, does nothing for fairness or equality. I think that the Monster Mav has proven this year that adding weight does not even the playing field. We are +400 lbs. average over most of the cars we raced against so far this year, and have only raced on stock H.P. as provided by the factory Rotax engine, and that combination has produced only 1st or 2nd place finishes so far (except V2R, where we were in position to podium until taken out by a TT).

I know we all need juicy things to post about, but I think we are beating the drum a bit much on the topic of whether or not to allow turb's into any existing class of UTE's, until the other mfgs. step up and offer said technology on their cars as well.
Well Johnny, I quit with the empty weight figures as you requested, and offered up a "starting line" weight. A wet weight, if you will. Full tank of gas, driver, co-driver, all spare parts, tools, light bars, radios, powdercoat and wrap. I am still waiting for anyone to reply with their "wet weight" so we can compare apples to apples. Marc said that your car looked pretty smooth as it blew by him last weekend in Imperial Valley. What are you currently running as far as a arms and coilover shocks? Besides the front sway bar, any additional suspension mods? By the way, what is your starting line weight (after the 150 lb. shit!)?

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Guess who is the first to get a Maverick Turbo???

This guy....
We have now officially changed our name to the "Rodney Dangerfield Race Team"!! Let us know how the clutch works, and what the belt life is like, will you Joey?

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Reid, ask Cory sappington how the belt life is. He put over 1000 miles on it and couldn't get the belt to blow.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Reid, ask Cory sappington how the belt life is. He put over 1000 miles on it and couldn't get the belt to blow.
1,700, so he told me. All on one belt! It's all about sample size, Jim. The more sources of information one can tap into, equals a more accurate representation of the results. HEY, so what's the status on the ass end of your mav? Can't check my e-mail
'cause I don't remember my f-ing password. God, I hate passwords!

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Sucks about your email, I haven't had a chance to take the Maverick out yet to test everything but she's all done! I'm sourcing a business to balance the driveshaft now. I think it'd be the prudent thing to do.
Sucks about the spark plug wire. I bet Marc was livid. Why didn't brp give you guys the new clutch setup and cooling system?

BLR

Dec 15, 2010
Florence, Oregon
Congrats Joey..give us a run down after your 1st voyage
Can't wait till they call and say...come and get it...looking forward to adding to ou stable

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000