It's official!!

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
I'm a Californian! I went to the BLM a got a permit to have a campfire:rolleyes: WOW!! I don't know what you locals did to bring this on but good Lord! This is the most ridiculous (okay maybe not most) thing I've been subjected to:rolleyes: They are very serious about this too. She checked off the points she talked to me about and everything! Welcome me and my sarcastic self to your state!:D:D:D

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
lets have fire bitches!! Oh, and welcome to "BendyaoverFornia"

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
Is anyone seriously checking this? I guess if they were having a fund raiser they would check but it's just too asinine. Could you imagine being the Ranger "Excuse me there sir, I'm gonna need to check your fire permit"

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
we have always needed a fire permit on blm land. they just never used to enforce it. at the m.o.r.e. 500 they actually asked us for it. each year we download the blank form and have the asking officer sign it. then after that they harass us about firewood, bottle ect. last time they made me change the colors on my flagpole light. :eek:

Mar 7, 2012
menifee ca
we have always needed a fire permit on blm land. they just never used to enforce it. at the m.o.r.e. 500 they actually asked us for it. each year we download the blank form and have the asking officer sign it. then after that they harass us about firewood, bottle ect. last time they made me change the colors on my flagpole light. :eek:
Crazy what things are coming too.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Its always been the case in the National forest and parks but not BLM. Must be something new.
Yea I knew about national forest. But not with blm so there saying we now need one for glamis or ocotillo wells?
This is sort of like the the "Fuel Jug" urban legend. Yes it is true you can get a free Camp Fire permit at any Ranger Station or on the BLM website. But this permit is primarily for National Forest and our deserts are not classified as National Forests, so there would be no enforcement of the permit.

The BLM will say the permit is highly suggested, but there is no law or citation # if you do not have one. The big reason they would like you to have one is you have to answer a series of fire safety questions, prior to being able to print the permit out. If you were to do this and later cause a fire. This could be used against you as far as showing knowledge & liability.

Several years ago while working with an off-road race promoter in Plaster City. One of the Rangers which was brought in from Northern California's forestry dept. did not know the rules, and asked the promoter about spectators and their fire permits. A 3 minute phone call to the El Centro BLM office cleared it all up, and the Ranger did not ask another camper about their "permits". I honestly think that might have been the day this "Fire Permit" in the desert Urban Legend started.

Anytime you read these possible new rules or laws the best way to confirm and not spread the rumor is to call the local BLM office. Or in this case the El Centro office covers everything from Plaster City/ Supertition to the Imperial Sand Dunes.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
I would like to think I'm a sensibly open minded guy. So if there is a way that someone could explain why, for the average guy, a campfire permit is needed that would be great. I just don't see it. If you're careless or accidental enough to start a large fire you're going to do that with or without the tips they give you when issuing the permit.

If it's a matter of giving some government lawyer a little more ammo then why in the world do I want to do it?

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
This is sort of like the the "Fuel Jug" urban legend. .
funny you mention this. i dont mean to beat a dead horse, but i gave away my 4 white fuel "utility" jugs last year when i sold my dirtbike and atc. so today i went to berts to buy 4 more jugs for utv/KOH ect. and they told me i will get a ticket for each white jug with fuel in it. and was urged to buy the new red fuel jug with the new spout. anybody actually get a ticket in jv or glamis yet on the C.A.R.B. law? my buddy says he will paint his jugs and plug the vent holes on his. :eek: but i dont think that will fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000