Jeremiah Staggs Runs A Lead Pace At UTVWC.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Jeremiah Staggs Runs A Lead Pace At UTVWC.

The UTV World Championships is a very special race for me. Being able to share the stage with my son is something I will always remember. After the MINT wrapped up we quickly had to jump into prepping the Yamaha for the worlds as well as my sons RZR 170. With the youth class blowing up, I had to make sure his car was ready for battle. The weeks leading up to the event were very busy. But my team came together to get everything done.

First thing Thursday we were on the road heading for Laughlin NV. With a projection of 300 racers, a good pit spot was very important. We made the trip out with no issues, after getting settled in the pits we took the rest of the day to enjoy friends and family.
Brock Staggs 176 raced between the Desert and the Short Course race. He lined up next to 52 other youth racers. The stacked field was full of very capable drivers. He finished 32nd and had a blast doing it. This young man piloted his RZR 170 for nearly 35 minutes. These young races are the future of our sport and Brock has a bright future.

Friday morning we got up early and headed to registration, the line was already stacking up.
With many walk ins the entries this year totaled over 300 in all the classes. We got through
registration and headed back to the pits. We jumped in the race cars and drove down to tech. The tech area was huge, it took over half the parking lot of the Riverside Hotel.

Tech went pretty fast and smooth this year. We would then drive back to the main pit for a few last minute adjustments and then head to the drivers meeting. This years meeting was pretty cool and major props to Mad Media and UTVUnderground for taking an idea and making it a reality. This was the 3rd year for this race and it had trippled in size from the first year. We then headed back to grabbed some dinner and hit the bed.

Saturday morning came early, it was race day for the 2017 utv world championships. We would get up and check tire pressure and and load up the chase truck to go to the hot pit. This format only allows for one pit. With our top 10 finish at the MINT we knew we would be on the first row. Being this is a dead engine..... land rush start, where we line up is critical. There was a accident of some sort and delayed our start big time all while the first few lines of the turbo class already left.

We got the green flag I started the Yamaha and stalled it, got it started again and we took off. Winning in the first mile isn't possible but losing is a real risk. We decide to be patient and consistent. the course was dusty, visibility zero at times but my co-driver brandon did a great job of keeping us on course. We started moving through the field which was already littered with accidents and broken cars. The race consisted of a 16 mile loop 10 laps making it a 160 mile race. The desert class had a total of 117 entries which would mean the course would break down fast. Coming around lap after lap the course would change every time and more broken cars every where. We stuck to the same plan as the MINT and keep the car together and push when we can. We know there are spots the Yamaha will be fast on and the proving grounds we have to be smart in. Lap 6 we had the exhaust come loose and went ahead and hit the hot pit. the crew was fast to fuel the car and determine there was no fix for the muffler and we took off again. through the infield section and over the jumps and back into the desert again.

The chatter bumps in the washes and soft sections had developed and were teeth chattering. The course was now torn up with deep grooves and holes as well as rocks appearing. We made the determination to not run a spare tire this race due to knowing the course and we knew we had a solid KMC wheel and EFX tire combo. We had stayed consistent and smooth and it was starting to pay off. Bouncing around the top 5 most of the race but on lap 8 we took the lead. We hit lap 9 still leading and would later get passed, we decided to stay smooth and charge hard on our last lap and try to get the position back. Unfortunately coming in to the hot pit ending lap 9 and about ready to charge our last lap hard another racer would hit us in the corner snapping a rear axle forcing us to pit. The crew worked fast to change the axle but unfortunately we would lose time and get passed while in the pits dropping us back to 5th. We charged hard the last lap and salvaged a top 5 finish. We couldn't be more happy with how the Yamaha is proving it self against the other manufactures.

We had a great time spending Easter weekend racing and with our family and friends. Without them we wouldn't be a team, and I can never thank them enough as well as all our sponsors that back us. I also want to thank my wife for holding it down and getting our son ready for his race since his race was after mine. Time to tear the yamaha down and get ready for the longest offroad race in america Vegas To Reno.

Jeremiah Staggs Helicopter Footage From 2017 UTV World Championship.
A big thanks to all the sponsors that helped me get here.

KMC Wheels . Walker Evans Racing . Alba Racing .
PRP Seats . Yamaha Racing . Lonestar Racing .
Rugged Radios . EFX Tires . STV Motorsports .
Factory UTV . Suspended Fabrication .
Magik Kustom Graphics .

The off road community suffered a great loss this week. Casey was one of a kind. RIP Casey.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000