John Melvin retires the 1912 in style.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
John Melvin retires the 1912 in style.
John Melvin driver of record for 1912 Polaris RZR XP1000.

Race 4: BITD Laughlin Desert Classic

Wow what a weekend at the Laughlin Desert Classic! Be honest I am not a fan of Laughlin, the two times I have race there have not been with good results. Saturday race starts off with a mind set of take it easy on the car so we can race on Sunday, that plan was working well until lap for after the Fox proving ground when I came into the 180 corner hot and oops I suck it on the lid with the one and only Rusty Baptist and his camera capturing the whole mess! Well Rusty, a BITD official, and my codog Jason Melvin flipped me back over, the big kicker to this little mishap is that Logan Goodall had contacted me about buying the race car and was behind me to witness the whole thing and one year ago at the Silverstate 300 Jason and I laid it over for a awesome picture of the giant UTV Underground logo! We finish day one and the car is fine other than a few scratches and some roof damage, my awesome crew checked the car out and cleaned her up for day two!

Sunday race is game on and Tim Jewett is the codog for day two, we charge out and clicking a good pace. Lap two weeks catch a group of cars in the mud mess and I get a little bit pissed about the cars not moving out of the way and I decided to stomp on the skinny pedal, bad decision because of the chatter bumps and snap the right rear axle let loose. So we take it easy to get back in the pits where my guys and the LSR crew killed it on a 4 minute pit stop! Back out and pushing lap 4 we go to pass another group of cars all goes well till the last car when they swoop over as we are passing them so I have to swing out and the car drifts out and I keep the pedal mashed over the road crossing and reload the weight and snap the belt blew! So the Mad Melvin came out and I was yelling in pour Tim's ears, we fix the belt and finish the race weekend 21st overall and 11th in the Pro Production class.

I want to thank all the support from

Lone Star Racing
JM Collision Center Inc.
SDHQ Offroad
Weller Racing
Pro Eagle
GBC Motorsports
Factory Utv
Baja Designs
Axalta Coatings
Hess Motorsports
Wolf Designs