Johnson Valley/29Palms - Marines Screw Up, Major NEPA Violation

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
Call or write now to request Johnson Valley extension

Written by Amy Granat
Friday, 20 May 2011 15:11

Please distribute this to all your networks: The Marines goofed!

When preparing the website and public documents for the 29Palms Marine Base proposed expansion, the Marines neglected to give the correct mailing address for public comments on the home page of the website, and it is missing from all the public documents including:

1.The Project Briefing Paper
2.The Project Overview
3.The Public Info Brief
4.The Trifold Brochure
5.The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
6.The Contact
7.The Public Comment Link on the home page

Instead, the contact info is given only for the project office on the 29Palms Marine Base. The Project Manager, Mr. Chris Proudfoot, has been made aware of this problem, and has not responded to requests for an extension, and an investigation to find out how many public comments have been sent to the wrong address, what has been done with those comments, and what can be done to rectify a mistake that has existed since the release of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement.

NEPA requires and encourages public comment, and the Marines have not given the public the information needed to send in their comments. EVERYONE - send a message to the Marines politely requesting a 60-day extension of the comment period during which time they are to conduct an investigation and good faith effort to find out how many comments were submitted to the wrong address. This is a major NEPA violation, and they must rectify this mistake.

Please contact immediately: Chris Proudfoot, Project Manager, at (760) 830-3764 and leave a message asking for a 60-day extension, or email: [email protected] or do both!

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

At this time, comments are still due May 26th, and it very important to submit comments now, either through the website at: Land Acquisition/Airspace Establishment Study

. . . or at the CORRECT mailing address:

Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Southwest
ATTN: 29Palms EIS Project Manager
1220 Pacific Highway
San Diego, CA 92132-519

Please act now!

Source: Call or write now to request Johnson Valley extension

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
Nice Bear! The "no option" choice is the hard line position but we all have our own sensibilities!!!

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
The Marines are a department of the Navy, and fall under the Secretary of the Navy, just so happens . . . he has his very own facebook page.

How about we all "Like It" and then post info from above and all the rest of our complaints on it.

Secretary of the Navy - Wall | Facebook

If everyone did this, maybe it would generate interest from the top.

TURBO1330

Aug 11, 2009
so cal
this one is no joke we need to fight now.. lucerne store owner old family friend told me that this time they need us to HELP..i sent mine

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Done...

Dear Sirs,

It has come to my attention there has been a mistake in providing the correct email address for comments to be accepted from the public on the land acquisition by the Marines in Johnson Valley. I am worried the right people have not had the opportunity to review and assess the input from the citizens of this fine state as to the issues surrounding this acquisition. Please extend the comment period for sixty days to accommodate the receipt of comments to the correct personnel, and to allow them to be adequately evaluated.

Best regards,

Dan Kiewicz
[email protected]:D

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
Without attacking this hard . . . just kiss it good-bye!!!

"The cumulative land expansion area planned for acquisition is in three areas bordering Marine Corps Air Ground Command Center (MCAGCC)'s western, northeastern and southeastern boundaries. Approximately 95% of the land proposed for acquisition is under the Department of the Interior management and is undeveloped.

12. Supplemental Data:

A. Estimated Design Data:

1. Status:

(A) Date design or Parametric Cost Estimate started 03/2010

(C) Date Design Completed 05/2011"

189,593 total acres at a total cost of $5,690,000.00

3,281 of that is State or Private land at a cost of $4,760,000.00
186,312 is OUR Federal land at a cost of $930,000.00

They finalize the design this month, 5 days after the comment period. Pages 147-149 . . .
http://www.finance.hq.navy.mil/FMB/12pres/MCON_Book.pdf

That doesn't even allow for an analysis of the comments correctly submitted, never mind locating the missing ones that were sent to an erroneous snail mail address listed

Looks like the State or Private land holders will win big under this proposal . . . and the greenies!

"The military assesses that biological resources could benefit overall in areas restricted to public access because the reduced OHV usage would decrease harm to biological resources."

Apparently, the greenies will accept the lost of a few hundred desert tortoise and some endangered plants as long as it's via bombs and the OHVs are gone.
Mojave Desert Blog: Marine Base Expansion Will Limit OHV Recreation

Just toss the greenies a half million dollars of our tax money and they'll shut up!

"We are especially pleased to announce that our partnership with the
29 Palms Marine Corps Base may result in an historic achievement.
When we finalize our agreements, the Base would provide $478,800
in funding towards the Quail Mountain Project under a Defense Department
Readiness and Environmental Protection Initiative (REPI)
grant. These grants are made to further the DOD’s mission of protecting
wildlife habitat at its military installations as well as their important
aviation corridors. MDLT would be the first desert Land Trust to
be a REPI recipient. We are grateful to the DOD for this distinction,
and to our partners on the 29 Palms Marine Corps Base who have
been thoughtful stewards of the land, and partners of the Land Trust."
http://www.mojavedesertlandtrust.org/newsletters/MDLT-summer2010.pdf

:eek:

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
Yup, and though I've suspected it all along the deeper I dig the more I am convinced that this has Dianne Feinstein and her husband Richard Blum’s signature ALL OVER IT!!!

Dianne Feinstein, Richard C. Blum relationship map - Muckety

Paradise Lost? ? Internet Series -part six- Eldorado Magazine

http://articles.superhunky.com/4/231

http://www.utvunderground.com/f35/f...m/.../mojave-monument-means-less-solar-power/
(Blum is or was an investor in Tessera Solar, not sure yet how this plays into the equation . . . never mind, just found it)

"Bixman wrote: “The real motivation for the passage of [the Feinstein] bill lies with the special interest groups that would benefit monetarily. Through a complex series of land exchanges, Catellus will receive land that contains some of the richest gold deposits in the world.”

Part of the Catellus exchanges in the Mojave included a swap for a decommissioned military base called Chocolate Mountain. Bixman wrote that geologists told her Chocolate Mountain has deposits worth somewhere between $40-100 billion. Catellus owns the nearby Mesquite mine in the Chocolate Rift zone, which, Bixman wrote, “is one of the ten most profitable mines in the United States and has some of the most profitable gold deposits of any mine in the world.”

In the company’s annual report for the year 2000, Catellus’ CEO Nelson Rising in his letter “To Our Shareholders” wrote: “In 2000 we closed on two sales totaling more than 405,000 acres of desert lands. We also entered into an option agreement with The Wildlands Conservancy to sell an additional 277,000 acres of desert land… These transactions have generated more than $320 million in sales proceeds.”

A Renewable Energy Debate Heats Up In The Mojave : NPR

"When someone comes forward and gives money to preserve land, it is really important that that commitment be carried out," Feinstein says. "Otherwise, people are not going to come forward to help preserve the land."

And so Feinstein introduced a bill to establish the Mojave Trails National Monument. It includes a lot of the land donated by the Wildlands Conservancy. Then she got in touch with the prospective solar power developers.

The companies that I met with were really very good," Feinstein says. "They said they did not know that this land was supposed to be in conservation."

The companies did realize after meeting with the senator that they'd never be able to get financing for projects on land that might be turned into a national monument. So all of them dropped their plans to build solar power plants there."

Sen. Feinstein reintroduces desert protection act | renewable, energy, desert - Desert Dispatch
(here she tries to wash her hands of the whole deal AGAIN)

California Desert Protection Act Maps - Coyote Crossing
(This is VERY interesting, nibbling away at what little they did leave us)

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/cdpa map.pdf

Anyway, with all this private money, BIG Government, backroom twisted deals and our Military interests in play . . . we WILL lose!!!

The writing has been in the sand since the Marines expressed interest in expanding back in late 2004.

Good 'ol DiFi will just keep lining her family's pockets as the good career politician she has been for 50 years. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BLR

Dec 15, 2010
Florence, Oregon
These back door Politics have got to go...we as off-roaders, need to get our heads out of the dirt/sand and start voicing our opinions...we need to start a thread for each riding area with a big CLOSED SIGN on it...then maybe they will get it....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
These back door Politics have got to go...we as off-roaders, need to get our heads out of the dirt/sand and start voicing our opinions...we need to start a thread for each riding area with a big CLOSED SIGN on it...then maybe they will get it....:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Well, it's typical unfortunately and as long as "They" keep voting for criminals like "DiFi" this kind of crap will continue. Given the area you're in, I know you are familiar how it is living among Dem!!!

Before I get my head torn off, I will admit it is not a "party" exclusive club.

She did get this JV ball rolling via her "Milcon" influences and "Wilderness Group" affiliations though, without a doubt, and should have served time for conflict of interest like many of her peers who were guilty of similar lesser offenses, but in her case, everyone just looked the other way!!!

Last edited:

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
Congress must approve this and we need to flood it with emails and letters demanding JV not be taken and calling this a budget buster! Also with the "Wars" supposed to wind down the need should wane as well! But it is our only chance and make sure the Republican you vote for is not an ECO freak and will work to keep land open! LET THEM KNOW! We need an NRA type BRC!
I'm with you Bear!

IMHO . . . What we really need is an NRA type OHV Community!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000