Lets Debate... Which form of UTV racing takes the most skill?? POLL

Which Forum of UTV Racing Takes The Most Driver Skill?

• Desert/BITD (US Desert Racing)

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Desert/SCORE (Baja - Mexico Racing)

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • WORCS Racing (MX)

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Lucas Oil Off Road Racing (Short Course)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • King Of The Hammers (Rock Crawling)

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Rally Racing (Dakar Style)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Drag Racing

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • GNCC (Trail Racing)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VBosch02

Dec 3, 2010
Bellflower, Ca
Pretty sure Robby started his racing in the desert. I believe his first score championship was in 86 and first MT championship was around 89 or 90?? anyone?

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Yes RG had won Score Championships before he entered a Mickey Thompson race

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
I want to spark some more debate here....

<snip>

Also, what form of UTV racing do you think takes the least amount of driver skill?
Least amount of skill would be post ride beer drinking. The toughest part of that is not pissing on your buddies trailer or your feet. LOL!!!!:eek:

Reactions: 1 person

tyler

Parkse5 - UTVUnderground Approved
May 27, 2009
mission viejo
I think Guys that have a MX backround have an advantage! Jimmy Johnson, Ricky Johnson, Deegan, and didn't Jonny Greaves, the Leduc family do some mountain bike racing! It helps in both short course and Dezert racing, these two different animals in my oppinion . In short course you have the opportunity to practice and hit your marks on each turn and jump. In the dezert you only see each turn and jump once! Car control is key in short course, but in dezert racing car handling can change alot with a full load of fuel and car set up is very important. In the poll KOH style racing got the most votes. I think in this type of racing the key is combination of things but above all is preparation. I'ts important to keep the car light to get through the course but still make it durable, overbuilding the car makes it heavy and breaks the drivetrain most of the time.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
One more thing that I think makes Desert or Dakar racers have a higher skill level is the fact that if you get off course by a few feet you end up in God's Country! You dont know what you might hit; Tree's Rocks, Ditches, Animals, People? Its all out there. The environment is not controlled like a short course or stadium style event.

I'm not saying Short Course racers dont have skills, because they do, and the adrenalin produced in that short time is incredible. They are able to go wide open for much of the race, but at the same time they also know they have a caution break to reset the field, so if you miss a corner or get behind, the series is assuring you have a second chance.

There is no second chance or reset in Desert or Dakar! Ask Robby as I bet he would love a reset or second chance at this years Dakar after he rolled the Hummer in stage 4 and sat upside down for 5 hours waiting for assistance!

tyler

Parkse5 - UTVUnderground Approved
May 27, 2009
mission viejo
just cause they don't get a second chance doesn't make them higher skilled. It just means they have more on the line when they race. Having a safety crew ready if you yardsale in short course doesn't make you any more skilled either. Some drivers just excel at different styles. The truth is sometimes you have to run at a 110% other times you have to slow down and run at 60%. The trick is in knowing WHEN to do which one!

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Nikal makes a great point with his list of drivers but I think if your fast your fast.Personally I think RJ could kick butt in the desert with some experience.

I love this race but I think Dakar is to much about navigation and half of the miles are on a road and aren't timed but count as race miles.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I think RJ could kick butt in the desert with some experience.
Dont give him any ideas! lol

I agree Joey. I feel like a well rounded driver, and am very comfortable in the desert and rocks. I could probably do well at Worcs given some seat time, but bet your ass some of the jumps would pucker me up! I'm tempted to enter the SST race in Phoenix, but I have my reservations as those steel ramps scare the ish out of me.

This is a tough question and no amount of debate will produce the correct answer.... Good read non the less.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I'm tempted to enter the SST race in Phoenix, but I have my reservations as those steel ramps scare the ish out of me.
Brian, The steel ramps are for races like the April 21st Long Beach Grand Prix event where the track is laid out on asphalt. The stadium events will be on dirt just like Mickey Thompson did it. The concept of the steel ramps was to broaden SST's opportunities. For 2013 SST has one race which is based on an asphalt layout, and that would be the Long Beach Grand Prix. Have yet to hear if the event will be before the IRL race or after. Also the use of the steel ramps make converting the track a very quick process.

Makin' Trax

Got Shocks? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 27, 2009
This is a great thread. IMHO, I believe that crossover drivers make better racers in there chosen/favorite disipline. It is a fact that those that excelled on motorcycles and quads make better drivers. There mindset of line choice and watching forward and not right in front of themself is burnt in the brain already. While racing desert for many years, my biggest gain in speed was when I started practicing at motocross tracks. Never was great at motocross, but I improved my skill at turning, and carrying more speed over high speed jumps and obsticles because of confidence. So I believe a Desert Racer that crosses over between desert and short course is going to improve there skills in each disipline utilizing skill sets from both. One thing to remember short course requires an intence exhausting amount of focus and concentration for 20 to 45 minutes, Desert racing requires focus and concentration for hours and hours. Also it is easier to run a hard pace when you can see your competition right in front of you, try running alone in the desert and hold a competitive edge with nothing to judge pace.

I am not saying shortcourse guys can't do it the other way. I do know this, the people in the east that have never run in the western deserts have an opinion that everything is flat out wide open running on a flat desert. I've got news for you, This Desert Racer went woods riding in the east and kick the woods racers butts I was testing with in there own backyard. So easterners come out to the west and get a taste of Desert Racing or WORCS before thinking you guys are the best, you may come home with your tail between your legs!

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
So easterners come out to the west and get a taste of Desert Racing or WORCS before thinking you guys are the best, you may come home with your tail between your legs!
Or at least go back with a good bit of seat cushion stuck to their ass because their sphincter won't let go!!! LOL!!! :D

Makin' Trax

Got Shocks? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 27, 2009
I think KOH takes the cake as far as a skilled driver.
As in Mitch Guthrie??? How many times has he won KOH or placed top 3? Desert, G.P., WORCS.........a force to be reckoned with. Now his son is coming into his own.......look out!

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
This is a great thread. IMHO, I believe that crossover drivers make better racers in there chosen/favorite disipline. It is a fact that those that excelled on motorcycles and quads make better drivers. There mindset of line choice and watching forward and not right in front of themself is burnt in the brain already. While racing desert for many years, my biggest gain in speed was when I started practicing at motocross tracks. Never was great at motocross, but I improved my skill at turning, and carrying more speed over high speed jumps and obsticles because of confidence. So I believe a Desert Racer that crosses over between desert and short course is going to improve there skills in each disipline utilizing skill sets from both. One thing to remember short course requires an intence exhausting amount of focus and concentration for 20 to 45 minutes, Desert racing requires focus and concentration for hours and hours. Also it is easier to run a hard pace when you can see your competition right in front of you, try running alone in the desert and hold a competitive edge with nothing to judge pace.

I am not saying shortcourse guys can't do it the other way. I do know this, the people in the east that have never run in the western deserts have an opinion that everything is flat out wide open running on a flat desert. I've got news for you, This Desert Racer went woods riding in the east and kick the woods racers butts I was testing with in there own backyard. So easterners come out to the west and get a taste of Desert Racing or WORCS before thinking you guys are the best, you may come home with your tail between your legs!
Couldn't have said it better myself Steve..... Exactly what I was thinking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000