Let's win $40,000 to Keep Our Trails Open ~ Saturday Challenge!

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
by Lance Clifford, President, Pirate4x4.com

Hello everyone! I wanted to let you know about an event that is going down on Saturday called the DARPA network challenge. What is it, you ask?

First, what is DARPA?
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is the central research and development organization for the Department of Defense (DoD). The Agency manages and directs selected basic and applied research and development projects for DoD and pursues research and technology where both risk and payoff are very high and where success may provide dramatic advances for traditional military roles and missions.

About the DARPA Network Challenge

To mark the 40th anniversary of the Internet, DARPA has announced the DARPA Network Challenge, a competition that will explore the roles the Internet and social networking play in the timely communication, wide-area team-building, and urgent mobilization required to solve broad-scope, time-critical problems.

The challenge is to be the first to submit the locations of 10 moored, 8-foot, red, weather balloons at 10 fixed locations in the continental United States. The balloons will be in readily accessible locations and visible from nearby roads.

So What Does This Have to do With Me?!?!?
Pirate4x4 wants to win this challenge! We have some of the most resourceful people in the USA, so let's all put our resources together, and try and win! All you need to do is drive around tomorrow and look for red balloons in the sky! It doesn't get any easier than that...

What Do We Win?
The winner takes home $40,000!!!!
So why would you help us win $40,000? Well that's easy. We will donate it ALL to Blue Ribbon Coalition, to help keep all of our trails open. Now think about that. $40,000 is a lot of money for our war chest. Even if you have allegiances to another website over Pirate4x4, we are asking for your help with this challenge. If all of the off roading community could get behind this, I am confident we could succeed in this challenge.

What do I need to do?
Go to our DARPA Challenge forum. You MUST BE LOGGED IN to the Pirate Bulletin Board to have access to the forum! If you do not see it, please log in and then click this link -

Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Again, all you need to do is look for red balloons on Saturday. If you find one, then you need to report it to us.

We prefer that you contact your listed area team leader if you see a balloon. But if push comes to shove, you can contact me directly.

Please provide the following:
Your name and contact info (cell, home phone, etc)
The exact location of the balloon (address, GPS coordinates)
We request that you verify with the person(s) at the location that it is indeed a DARPA balloon.

In the forum posted above, there are area coordinators listed. I would prefer you contact your area coordinator first.

Here is a photo of what the balloons look like -

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them in the DARPA forum.

Let's win $40,000 for Blue Ribbon Coalition to help keep all of our trails open.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000