LORRS-UTV's??

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Yep, lifted from RT, check it.
2DragonFire Racing and Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series to allow UTV’s at Speedworld Offroad Park for Round 2; May 2nd and 3rd. DragonFire Racing is working with Lucas Oil to bring back short course racing. DragonFire Racing will be the title sponsor for the UTV series for the remaining 5 rounds of the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series. The UTV series will be for the next 5 races, and points series Championship will be awarded the DragonFire World Cup the last Race at Primm.

There will be two classes. The Pro Class will have many of the same rules that CORR had in place last year. The Mod Class, will be a strictly bolt on class. STRICKLY BOLT ON: No internal Motor Mods. Final Rules and Safety will be posted on the Lucas Oil Web site. Please wait for the final post, do not call we are working on this, and will post it as soon as it is done.

There will be Prize Money for the PRO class, Contingency for the Mod Class. Entry Fees will be App. $400 for Pro, $300 for Mod. This is for two days of Racing, and qualifying.

Some things we are working on: the Displacement for Pro will be increased. We are going to allow the Prowler XTZ to Run. This will also allow for a little wider car. Doors, window nets and roll cages will be required in all classes.
We are looking at a different track design to allow more competitive racing.
We are working very hard to get everything done and posted by Friday. If we do not respond to your questions, it is because we can only do it once, and between the Lucas website Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series and our web site Kawasaki Teryx Performance & Accessories Yamaha Rhino Accessories, Yamaha Rhino Performance, Arctic Cat Prowler, Polaris Ranger & RZR, Custom Yamaha Rhino @ DragonFireRacing.com we will have everything posted as soon as possible.

There is an unofficial test at Speedworld this weekend. Get out there and get on the track. DragonFire Racing and Lucas are doing all we can to make this happen.

If you are interested in coming, please email [email protected] We will try to keep you updated with as much information as we can.
This is a Lucas Oil Race, the pay out, rules, and safety will be handled by the Lucas Oil Series. DragonFire Racing is sponsoring the series and helping get all of you back on the track. We will keep you posted. If you raced in CORR with your car, you will be able to race in this series. Get the word out. We need you all there.

Todd
DragonFire Racing

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
For everyone looking at competing in this class, the engine displacement has NOT been decided. I have been in constant contact with Lee Perfect and Tony Vanillo since the demise of CORR and spoke with Lee again this morning. I don't want to see the engine displacement raised only to deter the majority of the market from coming back or from joining for the first time.

We did Round 1 of the Lucas series with the HRT Pro Karts and I can say that the atmosphere is much more low key and friendly than it was with CORR.
Come on out and race, it will be a lot of fun!

Lee and the guys at LOORS are trying to put together a track/plan that will better showcase the UTVs and karts. Cost and integration will be a major factor in this.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Would love to race it, but raising the Pro displacement will def limit the number of entries....that pretty much leaves Rhinos out, and there are still a lot of Rhinos racing right now. It makes more sense to have an 800 and a 1000 class nowadays.........

If I can scrounge up the $$ and the displacement rules don't put me out of the running, I'd love to race at my home track for the next round!!! :)

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
It only makes sense to leave the displacement at 800cc. There is no reason to chop up a POS Artic Cat and race it. Even then, the DieCast Playcars Team hasnt faired all too well at the WORCS races this year with their 1000cc Cat...

dnf736

Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
I think the "Raise the limit" part is being pushed by DFR for self serving purposes.

Racing against well tuned 800 twins is bad enough but allow up to a 1K engine and I think it would kill the class.

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
Here's a little more discussion from RT.net

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by DRAGONFIRERACING
We are trying to include all manufactures. If we let the Prowler run, it will be with Stock Throttle Bodies. We have been building product for Arctic Cat, and an 850 CC Teryx, Rhino, RZR Runs with if not better than the XTZ. We are working on Weight and widths. We want to make this affordable racing, and let all manufactures in. Without the manufactures the series will never grow. We are working on course design changes that will make it a drivers course. I know must of the racers, an we are one of the teams as well, we want to make it so everyone can race fairly for the least amount of investment.
We will keep you posted.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Arctic Cat should campaign their 650 if they want to run in LOORS. It does not make sense to keep making the engine displacement larger and larger.
A lot of us have invested significant amounts of money to make race UTVs that meet the current rules. I know we don't want to throw away our 800 Teryx parts just because you or someone else built an 850.
If there is going to be a class that allows 1000cc, do it for 2010. 2009 short coaurse racing is still recovering from CORRs collapse and the weak economic conditions. It would be a foolish decision to change the engine requirements weeks before the first race.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
I agree with Chris(S2k1) on this one. This is defiantly a case of Dragon fire trying to change the rules up so they can race their stuff. I think we need to form a mini PDG type group of drivers to submit our concerns. My racing partner has a good relationship with Lucas, and Im sure we can get heard if we get the top drivers together...

norrs

Feb 19, 2009
Not to thread jack or anything of the sort, but that is partly why we created stock and modified classes. (the thought behind it was to keep the competition fair with engine displacement) We also will have a stock bolt on class for Rookie/Sportsman that allows the average guy with the roll cage, fuel cell and safety equip to run as well.

Just FYI

BOBONTHIS

#64 PRO UTVUNDERGROUND RACER - UTVUnderground Appr
Jan 27, 2009
Mesa, AZ
The Pro Class needs to stay @ 800CC. You just can’t get a Rhino or a Razr to the 1000cc limit. Hell it cost 10 grand just to build a Teryx to the limit. I vote 800cc. We really do appreciate Dragon fire for stepping up for us but I'm afraid that today’s racers will not be able to compete with the 1000cc limit.

Last edited:

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Agreed!!! Upping the limit just for the Prowler is really reaching - I have only seen THREE Arctic cats - period - since I started racing UTV's in 2006. Maybe 4, actually......this does sound like an Arctic Cat PR move.

Also - who's to say the "stock" Prowlers will actually be / stay stock?

Again.....I am certainly not opposed to two classes....800cc and Open (or 1000cc) - still might be the best bet.

Reactions: 1 person

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
2Classes Pro Mod 800CC and unlimited 1000+CC that allows for motor swaps as well. DONE DEAL! Guys like Bobby or whoever who want to run both classes can and those with Rhinos and RZR's who are built to the max can still compete without being out motored by huge Kawi's and AC's. Now you create a class where people can come out and run Rotax swaps and or street bike motor swaps

dnf736

Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Agreed, CORR spec 800cc & open run what ya brung.

Would you guys care if I put a Teryx engine in Codes car?

Grant@funco

Monster Energy / Funco Kawasaki - UTVUnderground A
Feb 8, 2009
Califorinia
My 02 cents for what it is worth.

Changeing any rules right now should be thought out well . Utv racing has huge potential that has not yet been realized . A knee jerk rule change as big as this could cripple it before it really grows the legs that we all think it has.Sure , if you raise the limit to 1000cc we/ Funco could put our race heads and induction on our 916 cc stroker bottom end that is ready to go in a play car . But to what end !! so we can go racing with the 3 other teams that would/could do the same. The key here is to have good car counts ,good parity between brands which in turn makes good racing.Making more expensive to compete at this time really makes no sense.

Again ,this is just my opinion but what I am really excited about is the reintroduction of what is being called the Mod class . If this class is handled right,it could be where the future of UTV racing lies . Think about it . The Factorys get better recognition of what they are selling off the showrooms and the aftermarket parts companies get to use the same parts they are selling as well . The cost to the racer will be much more attractive ,consequently the car counts should go up . This was pretty much the idea behind our CGR (CHAD GEORGE REPLICA) Teryx.

Again all for what it is worth.

As far as the engine swap guys.. I am not in favor of that because the fact is we want to win. after all we are racers at heart. When you have a completly wide open rule book that drives the cost of winning up out of site . You can make the arguement about how cheap R1 motors are and fror play cars I don't argue with that . But when it comes to competition .... not a good thing

Grant@funco

Monster Energy / Funco Kawasaki - UTVUnderground A
Feb 8, 2009
Califorinia
Oh and not to let it go unsaid .

A huge Thanks to DFR and Lucas for opening the door back up for us UTV guys !

dnf736

Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Even if I bought that engine from you?;)

Were not building another car, hell I didnt build this one but it was still an investment so bottom line, we keep the dollars minimal to stay competitive or another racer falls by the wayside and the car count goes down, not what any of us want.

And Im not talking about just us either, I know two guys that didnt race this year, already have chassis built but dont want to spend $$$ on the Rhino motor because of the Teryx. They have the $$$$ for an engine but dont have the $$$ to build another car so they're gone. Money lost.

Only 15 cars at M4 last Saturday, 5 AM, 10 Pro, how many more will show up at LORRS? There were only 23 at the last CORR race, I think allowing an "in class" engine swap for people that have an existing chassis is an untapped market.

So you dont sell the whole CGR, you still have the chance to sell the transplant CGR-engine package.

My .02

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
As tempting as the swap is (I'm in the same boat - expensive chassis, single cylinder motor competing with the v-twins), I see two good reasons to not open that box - and agree with Grant.

Biggest reason is because it's every race series ultimate goal (or should be) to get OEM involvement at some point. Getting the factories involved is awesome and important - and whether it is apparent or not, the factories ARE waching the UTV racing scene. But this only happens when we are all racing production machines.....when we start "hybreeding" them (is that even a word?? LOL..its early...), it changes the competition into something different, and def veers off the path of factory involvement.

The other reason is what Grant touched upon.....it opens up the box for all kinds of mods and that just starts to get crazy.

Just my humble .02.....

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Just a thought...perhaps the UTV classes should undergo some serious restructuring for next year ? Maybe something like single cylinder and dual-cylinder classes, etc? Something to keep everyone in the game, and allow for the new stuff that's coming out? Just thinking out loud.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000