MDR Off Road Race Accident

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
August 14th marks one of the darkest days in off-road racing history in North America
August 15, 2010 by Klaus Rasch
Filed under Featured, News
Leave a Comment
August 14th marks one of the darkest days in off-road racing history in North America.

During the MDR California 200 in Lucerne,CA a race truck in the 1450 pre-runner class went off the race course into a large group of spectators killing at least 8 and leaving more wounded.

Off-Road racing in the desert is held in open unpopulated desert areas common to the southwest of the United States. These areas are designated Off Highway Recreational Areas and are open to the public. Last Saturday, MDR organized a night race as part of the their race series in Lucern, CA near Soggy Lake that attracted 87 entries and many spectators alongside the 60-mile race course. This being on open public land, desert crowds gathered all along the course to watch the race cars go by.

Soon after the start approximately 2 miles into the race one of the race trucks went off the designated course into a group of spectators, coming to a stop up-side down. Some people where trapped under the vehicle. The spectators took quick action and slowed down following race cars and gave first-aid to those in need. There were many spectators on-hand that had first-aid experience and they rushed to the scene without any hesitations most likely saving lives due to their actions.

Soon the CHP, BLM and Fire Department took over. Multiple helicopters rushed injured spectators to nearby hospitals.

California Highway Patrol started a detailed accident investigation. There are false reports on some media outlets that the driver had to flee the scene due to assaults from an angry mob. This is not true and CHP released the driver free to go without any charges filed at the moment.

Desert racing over the years has adopted many safety standards such as personal safety equipment and technical inspections to all race competitors. Crowds are advised to stay clear of the race course and often the race promotor marks safety lines alongside the race course spectators have to follow.

A safety wall or fence, common in other forms of motorsports, is simply unrealistic as races are held on large public lands. How do you fence in hundreds of desert miles?

The entire off-road community grieves over the loss of human lives. We are one off-road family and will hold together in this dark time. There will be many questions, some answers and some solutions down the road that will make desert racing an even safer sport.

If you feel as helpless as we all feel right now but feel the need to reach out and help then please donate towards the California 200 fund fast-aid.org

Fast Aid is a non profit organization that has been in place to offer fast financial aid where it counts. FAST-Aid

August 14th marks one of the darkest days in off-road racing history in North America | race-deZert.com

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Posted by UTVUnderground member Pat Dailey on RDC:

Thank you MANGO RACING from FAST Aid!!!
I just got word that Mango Racing will be donating $50,000 to FAST Aid for the California 200 fund. I am blown away and am literally in tears right now. I am almost speechless......almost.

I love La Familia!!!!!!!

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA

I just got word that Mango Racing will be donating $50,000 to FAST Aid for the California 200 fund.
WOW! That is great.

sandaddict13

Jan 25, 2010
Glendale,AZ

I just got word that Mango Racing will be donating $50,000 to FAST Aid for the California 200 fund. I am blown away and am literally in tears right now. I am almost speechless......almost.

I love La Familia!!!!!!!
That is Awesome! RIP.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
The sad thing is the Blame game seems to be starting! I heard on the News a spectator stating "The Driver was going too fast" and laying the blame on him, it's a race! People it is a race and if I remember right there are signs telling you not to get within 150 feet of the track! So lets take some responsibility here please, this was a tragic accident, were some showed bad judgment on their own by being so close! Ever see a European Road race? You don't sit on the OUTSIDE of a turn, you don't stand on the course, and this isn't Zoo Road so stay back! I fear we will be our own worst enemies on this one, lets not kill racing in the process!
Completely agree.This is a tragedy but if your standing on the race course and get hit by a race car its your fault.

Hapa

Ricky Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Oc
www.glamisdunesstorage.com
I heard the first Law suit filed today. This sucks, we ride, race and spectate this way for a reason.

I fear we are only going to be able to race/spectate like we do in Baja anymore.

granny

OG Ninjet
Sep 23, 2009
Johnson Valley, Ca.
I can't imagine how the families of the victims of this terrible accident feel, my heart goes out to them, but they all claim their loved ones LOVED off road riding and racing. So the fallen, would not want their deaths to be the cause of all the lawsuits and new laws restricting something they loved so much!
Just my 2cts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000