Merry Christmas (Donald)

Kevlar

dunechaser1 - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 8, 2009
Visalia, Ca
www.dunechasers.com
For all who weren't paying attention this week (or last when your kids were getting the shaft
http://dailysignal.com/2015/12/10/c...nistration-with-no-child-left-behind-rewrite/ )...
.. here is your Christmas dinner conversation topic (or should be) so that your children can worry about something else other than the crappy public education that everybody around the table refuses to speak a word about, fight or change for them (or your future grandchildren):

(keep in mind that this is written by a sitting legislator with a front row seat):

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/17/an-early-christmas-present/
(I don't listen to Rush much anymore yet he was spot on describing what you probably don't want your kids/grandkids to hear/educate themselves on as well):
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/12/17/gop_sells_america_down_the_river

...and people still wonder how Perot did almost 20%...
ItsYourLegacy, this is a UTV forum to discuss UTV related crap. We get enough of this in other mediums. By bringing it here you only alienate yourself. And by the way, your writing style gives me a headache!

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
ItsYourLegacy, this is a UTV forum to discuss UTV related crap. We get enough of this in other mediums. By bringing it here you only alienate yourself. And by the way, your writing style gives me a headache!
This is the off topic portion of the forum.
I offer the basic news of the day involving trillions of our dollars (as with offroad leadership/history-related issues most are far too young to understand) as this is where that information resides. If this hurts your head..and I'm not a doctor..(but)..you should probably either a) don't read it...or b) have Uncle Joey delete it for you.
My point is made in terms of younger people, their "headaches" and what causes them. It's your own kid's education and trillions of dollars being irresponsibly spent to literally destroy your own country and put your kids in a financial hole that they will effectively never climb out of for heavens sakes.

I believe that we have pretty much reached the end (times) when folks are complaining that even what they choose to read...gives them a headache (or, as one poster put it..."I can't get my computer to keep me from reading what I don't want to !!! ". :(

Somebody please helicopter a parent in here..the kids aren't happy.

Last edited:

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I've been away awhile....missing all this fun. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Polaris but ok. The best part if you scroll all the way to the bottom an ad says ...."study sheds light on new sweetener and weight loss". I didn't read it but I'm sure it's more fascinating than reading about the government out of control that knows no boundaries..,.or society for that matter. I hope I didn't offend anyone or if I was politically incorrect I apologize profusely.

Is this forum a "safe zone"?

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
II'm not sure what any of this has to do with Polaris but ok.
Again, (and I hate to direct traffic for some of you guys or state the obvious) you're in the "off-topic" section of the forum.
While realizing that the fan boys here for Polaris (hey I've owned several, but...) try their very best to insult/steer discussion in that direction...you might want to ask Joey to come on here and explain the "off-topic" concept to even those of you old enough to know better.

"..Is this forum a "safe zone"?..."
As long as you keep pandering to the 'clique' up here who don't like off-topic discussions in the proper forum or even comments from race fans in general..you ought to be all right (on race day especially).

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Should the owner (of one) of these performance meters want to compare its performance against the (authoritative) equipment used at "drag strips", he or she will need to deal with "rollout," which is the distance a vehicle can move before "triggering" the timing lights.

A little drag-strip primer: As a car creeps toward the two light beams of the starting area, its front tire will eventually block the first beam and trigger a "prestage" warning. This informs the driver that the "official" starting line, where the "stage beam" shines across the track, is only seven (7) inches ahead. When the front tire triggers that second beam, the vehicle is properly staged for a run. However, the vehicle's position can still vary by well! over a foot while its front tires are "blocking" the stage beam. This is critical, because the drag-strip clock does not start until the second light, or stage beam, is uncovered. It is this distance that is the critical rollout.

The length of the rollout depends on the diameter of the tire and where the driver chooses to position the car at the start. Although the rollout distance is typically only a foot or so of a quarter-mile, it can affect the elapsed time by as much as 0.3 second, and to the serious gearhead, that's an eternity. Therefore, we needed to make sure every run in our test started at precisely the same point because of that 0.3-second issue.

The meters presented some problems in this area. They didn't all deal with rollout in the same way. Most had adjustable distance rollout. One used speed rollout that triggered the meter's clock when the car reached a speed threshold, and one had a nonadjustable 12-inch rollout. Another had no rollout at all. To keep things even, we positioned the cars on the track with a 12-inch rollout for all the tests because that distance matched up with most of the meters. Also, a car accelerates to 3 mph in about 12 inches, so that distance worked well for the meter with speed rollout.

Reactions: Simi Dude

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Whew! That was a lot of typing!!! But here goes again................Rotational Mass
Up Center of mass Rotations Angular Acceleration Kinematics Torque Rotational Mass
Newton's second law, when applied to rotational motion states that the torque equals the product of the rotational mass or moment of inertia I and the angular acceleration a.

torque = moment of inertia times angular acceleration

t = I * a

When two (2) objects are acted on by the same torque, the object with the "larger" moment of inertia has the "smaller" acceleration.

The moment of inertia of an object depends on the ("mass") of the object, and on how this ("mass") is distributed with *respect* to the axis of rotation. The farther the bulk of the mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater is the rotational inertia (moment of inertia) of the object. The units of the moment of inertia are units of mass times distance squared, for example kgm2.

Imagine two wheels with the same mass. One is a solid wheel, the mass is evenly distributed throughout the structure, while the other has most of the mass concentrated near the rim.
moment.gif (2343 bytes)

The wheel with the mass near the rim has the greater moment of inertia.

The moment of inertia is defined with respect to an axis of rotation. For example, the moment of inertia of a circular disk spinning about an axis through its center perpendicular to the plane of the disk differs from the moment of inertia of a disk spinning about an axis through its center in the plane of the disk.

The seesaw

Two children are playing on a seesaw, rocking back and forth. The center of the seesaw is fixed. There is no translational motion. We observe rotational motion about the center. While the seesaw is moving there is practically no torque on the seesaw, and it rotates with uniform angular velocity. The weight of each child times the lever arm from the center to where the child is seated produces a torque, but the two torques have the same magnitude and point in opposite directions and therefore cancel. If one child is heavier, it sits closer to the center than the lighter child. This reduces the lever arm. In this way, different weights can produce torques of the same magnitude.

When one child's feet hit the floor, the floor pushes back and produces a torque pointing opposite to the angular velocity. This torque will reduce the angular velocity to zero in a short time interval. The seesaw is now stopped. The child then pushes off and the ground pushes back. The direction of the torque stays the same. The torque produces an angular acceleration which results in an angular velocity pointing opposite to the original direction. The seesaw reaches its final angular velocity when the child stops pushing. It now keeps on rotating with constant angular velocity, until the other child's feet hit the floor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000