Miller Canyon Watefall - 7/30 - Group

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
I'm not sure we're going to solve this here. We need about 5 hours around the campfire and some cerveza's.

So to help matters, and shore up any concerns, I'm bringing 2000 feet of rope. We'll cut into equal segments and tie all of these damn things together. There, problem solved. The last guy HAS to end up where the first guy does, unless the rope breaks. So the rule is, if that happens, you are now the ride leader and it's your responsibility to see that everyone behind you gets back safely.

There, that was easy.... :)

P.S. I like the printed rules/map idea. Makes it easy for folks to reference it anytime and not wonder what it was that the trail boss said last.... :D

T-wrecks

Apr 7, 2011
Corona CA
I love the rope idea.

Since we basically already know the route we could pre print out trail maps with the trail highlighted.

I still like the one group concept so everyone enjoys the same ride. I've never found it a problem to wait at intersections for the guy behind you. It's not like it's rocket science.

dkiewicz

Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Reed, I was thinking more of a hand drawn with the trail numbers. That's all someone should need. If you know which ones go out, just take the opposite on the way back. Just a bit of comfort for the newbies.

dkiewicz

Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
I love the rope idea.

Since we basically already know the route we could pre print out trail maps with the trail highlighted.

I still like the one group concept so everyone enjoys the same ride. I've never found it a problem to wait at intersections for the guy behind you. It's not like it's rocket science.

Hey, watch it, I am a Rocket Scientist!!!:D LOL!!!

dkiewicz

Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Man, you like anything deep water, huh? I bet that diesel starts right up after you get the water out of the cylinders and crankcase.... Those things are tough!:D

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
I can pick up some of these if you guys want? Reflective Safety Vest - X-Large
I have to wear one of those vest all ready at work.
Hears My .02

The ribbon idea = a bright colored close pin per each key person, its cheep and will clip on any thing a sleeve, shirt pocket ,car roof and so on.

At drivers meeting maps are given out to each car.

One radio every 3-5 cars pending how many cars and radio

Any cars that might have more problem then others get put in back of group just not to slow the group up at ever rock ,tree and hole . will keep a eye out for them with the last couple cars and radios .

NO ONE drives back by there self, just like nuns we go in pairs .

Just some ideas I got from the post .:)

onerich

Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
In reality a radio antenna is a good indication, but doesn't mean a volunteer is under it and doesn't account for hand helds so a close-pen might be a little hard to see, but seems okay, just thinking a vest wont fall off and is easy to identify! Whatever you want, your the boss!
I'm just Rich giving out some ideas , I had thought the close pin could have a ribbon on it also. I have seen this as trail markers to get to camps just clip it on a bush at a turn and on your way home take it home for the next time.Could also have a colored flag or a banana tied to the cage or wear the thongs on the out side. :eek::eek::eek: Simple and cheep works the best some times. just some ideas.

onerich

Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Okay, if you feel that you want to go this way you call it! Just let us know how or what or both;)
PB I really dont feel any way just giving out Ideas I thought thats what theard was about and I was just giving my .02 You guys are the best group of peeps I have rode with and it nice to know that people want to make some thing great even better for all the rides that are coming up, Thats why La familia has grown so fast in the past year because of the great peeps that take care of you and that you know that you count on. I thank all of you for Letting me and my wife hang out with you cool cats on these outings.

Ya I got off topic :eek:

onerich

Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
On Daves last ride we had about 15 rides, Dave was in front then a couple cars and GEORGE and a couple cars and Gil and a couple cars and I ran drag and we kept the group a little tight but the speeds we slow so not to much dust, but I was sweep.We had one car that was over heating so we put him in the back and let the group move on and had two cars to stay back and do the repairs and it worked out great. We had a plan at the drivers meeting and kept to it and changed it when needed. Also we had radios that made the work nice.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
You the man Richie! All will go well and I know everyone will have a great time. Life is a learning experience and that's the journey we're on:D Every ride I have been on with all of you has been awesome and I always can't wait till the next one:)
I like the idea of a basic map, I like the idea of some type of marking on the cars for the Trail Helpers and most important a good drivers meeting that stresses that you are 100% responsible for the guy behind you PERIOD!!!!!!!

ageekwithajeep

UTVUnderground La-Familia
Oct 13, 2010
Spokane Wa
I have to wear one of those vest all ready at work.
Hears My .02

The ribbon idea = a bright colored close pin per each key person, its cheep and will clip on any thing a sleeve, shirt pocket ,car roof and so on..

NO ONE drives back by there self, just like nuns we go in pairs .

Just some ideas I got from the post .:)
ribbion....... we all have yellow "la familia" shirts when we do big rides we should all wear this shirt or the black ones that will be made? if they are still going to be made?

yes i dont knowhow we let mikey mouse out last year to go back on his own. but we did and it ended very badly

i dont know about the maps because we could always change the trails in the middle of the ride. maybe a compass to each newb and show him where camp is then if he gets lost at least he can get back? here is my issue with giving maps or even compasses then for me i feel like a little kid "now here you go johnny dont you get lost now" like seriously can we not trust the guy in front stoping enough that we have to give these peeps a map? If we do go with map idea tho i'd just like it to be main trails in the area, with a red dot to where we are going each time then where from there so if they get lost at least they can wait out on a main trail where they know we will come.

just some food for thought

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
ribbion....... we all have yellow "la familia" shirts when we do big rides we should all wear this shirt or the black ones that will be made? if they are still going to be made?

yes i dont knowhow we let mikey mouse out last year to go back on his own. but we did and it ended very badly

i dont know about the maps because we could always change the trails in the middle of the ride. maybe a compass to each newb and show him where camp is then if he gets lost at least he can get back? here is my issue with giving maps or even compasses then for me i feel like a little kid "now here you go johnny dont you get lost now" like seriously can we not trust the guy in front stoping enough that we have to give these peeps a map? If we do go with map idea tho i'd just like it to be main trails in the area, with a red dot to where we are going each time then where from there so if they get lost at least they can wait out on a main trail where they know we will come.

just some food for thought
Well said Johnny:D
Luv Ya!

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
I like Rich points out the same thing that I like when some ones put a ride that is part of "La Familia" I feel that we are all part of this ride - Not ONE tail boss with his rules - Just fun, love, rides, provide help, guide, food and look out for all ;-)

Marking out the rigs that want to help with some type of ribbon may be it, we can add them to anyone that wast to help that has a radio ;-)

Love you all ;-)

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
Reed,

I'm struggling with your somewhat authoritarian approach to rides. <O:p</O:p
Sounds a little too much like watching the military channel. ;)
<O:p</O:p
I don't think we need a Supreme Commander, Trail Boss or Ultimate Authority. I personally go on rides to escape the constraints of daily life and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors and the companionship of my friends. Having spent time with you, I think we’re in alignment on this point.

The majority of this group (Craig excepted) are well educated and experienced riders whose input should be valued.

1. Yes, a ride should have a leader (simply defined as "the guy at the front"). Preferably, someone that knows where the heck we're going. But even not knowing can be fun. (Ref, La Familia vs The Names) Great time there. We all took turns getting more lost.

2. The leader should understand our ride philosophy. My feeling here is that, we "all" agree on how we want to do our rides and it is consistent across all rides. The concept of "my ride, my rules" might lead to confusion especially with a group like this that rides together often. If the leader should change during a ride, I really don’t want to dig out my rule book and look up the rules for the new leader. I also believe we need to make sure everyone has a chance to "lead" and "drag" so they learn what's involved and become more valuable members of the group.

3. The leader should always be someone with a radio.

4. The “drag†should always be someone with a radio.

5. The leader should “always†be in radio contact with the "Drag" and throttle the pace based input he's receiving.

No matter how many times we discuss this; there are always folks that don't wait at turns.
I can see a few things that might help here.

1. If the leader actually "stops" at an important turn and he "makes sure" the guy behind him has "stopped" and is waiting for the next driver and so forth down the line, it would be less likely someone would continue without the guy behind him as the proper behavior is reinforced at every turn by the lead driver. The exception would be when radios are involved.

2. If you have radio contact with the guy directly behind you and he gives you the "go ahead" then you can move on. You are still responsible for the next guy radio or not and must actually stop and make some form of contact.

3. We continue to emphasize this and practice it until it just becomes natural.

You are absolutely correct that "Waiting for the guy behind you" is a good practice and should be continued.

We have a very good track record as group of bringing everyone home and truly caring about each other’s welfare is the biggest reason this happens. We are not without incident and tragedy at our events. Beyond the actual ride portion of our trips, we need to continue the same watchfulness, caring and concern for each other.

That’s what makes this group special and brought us together in the beginning.

<O:pjim</O:p<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

grumpysrzr4

Godspeed John Berry - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Feb 22, 2011
Huntington Beach
if maps of trails are needed, there by the sh---house in the staging area. if box is empty walk across stream to ranger station or pm me an I peck sum up at arco when i pickup day pass.

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
As much as we want a peep to ride with “It is your job to wait for the peep in back / behind you” or “your job is to wait at a turn for the peep
In back / behind you” we know some peeps just do not do this.
Why – I don’t know – but life has it that way, as I posed before, Peeps just get scared and don’t want to get lost.

ageekwithajeep

UTVUnderground La-Familia
Oct 13, 2010
Spokane Wa
Pb if I'm correct what Jim wants is not a certain leader but is for us as a group to lead every ride as one not just one leader but for us as " lafamilia" to lead rides in our way, but after last year we wanted to becOme tighter as a group who runs rides together, but I could be way off.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000