My First Trip To Moab (Rally On The Rocks) - Story by 12 yr old Mia D.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
My First Trip To Moab (Rally On The Rocks)
By: Mia DiGiovanni (12 years old)

Rally on the Rocks is a week-long event held the second week of May each year, that takes place in beautiful Moab, Utah. It is an event put on for off-road enthusiasts, mainly side-by-sides, like the Polaris RZR. It is attended by what seems like thousands of people. The event puts on group and demo rides, along with allowing specific dealers to lead their own group rides with their very own vehicles. My dad, Joey D., first came to the event 6 years ago and he hasn’t missed it since. He fell in love with the beauty of the state and city, just as he did with my mom, Camille, and since he was unable to bring her this year, my dad decided to bring her mini-me instead. Me! This trip has been by far, my favorite father-daughter trip ever, and it will sure be difficult to top. My dad said if he was to bring me along, which meant I had to miss a week of school, that I was going to have to write a story on the adventure. So here is my report on my first time to Moab.

After a long 12 hour drive from our home in Valley Center, CA to Moab, UT we were spent. But I must admit, I was also very excited and I just couldn’t believe how beautiful Moab was. Upon pulling in you are met with some of the most beautiful mesas, cliffs and rock faces I have ever seen. It feels like you are driving strait into our earths history as you cross the Colorado River and can see how the water has shaped these canyons for millions and millions of years. We were going to need our rest as the week was all planned out and we had a lot of trails to see!

I could hardly sleep, despite being exhausted from the long trip, but I was super excited to get out and explore. We got up and unloaded our machine from the trailer. My dad brought along our 2016 Polaris RZR XP Turbo four seater. He has it all set up with roll cage, seats, harnesses, a windshield and some really slick wheels and tires. We gassed it up and met up with a couple of my dad’s friends and we began our drive strait through town. Unlike California, you can have your off highway vehicles licensed to be able to drive on the street. This makes it really fun to be able to drive down the road alongside other cars and trucks. Our RZR always turns heads, I get a little embarrassed at all the waving and looks our RZR attracts.

Our first trail of our trip was called Moab Rim. I mean, whats a better first trail to go on then Moab Rim?! This is one of the most popular trials in all of Moab. It has a lot of scenery and consists of lots of different terrain. Each trail has a set of obstacles usually. An obstacle can be as simple as a rock waterfall you have to crawl up, where some can be very nerve racking. I usually get out and just watch my dad when we get to the scary obstacles. But I also enjoy the rush. The first obstacle we reached is only a little ways up the trail. This is where at the Easter Jeep Safari held a couple of weeks prior to our trip, off-road legend Walker Evans, instead of making a hard left, kept driving forward right towards a cliff that goes straight down a couple hundred feet to the road below, which is right along the Colorado River. Luckily for him his back passenger tire got hung up in the rocks and he was unable to go forward anymore. Reid Nordin, with Walker Evans Racing, tried to recreate the scene just for a quick picture, but we were unable to do it. Reid is my dad’s friend and he was the first person to ever bring my dad to Moab back in 2010. It was pretty cool for both my dad I to ride alongside Reid and his wife Jill, they are really nice and very knowledgeable as it pertains to Moab and the surrounding trails. After getting up the obstacle we moved along to the top of Moab Rim. The rest of the trail was very scenic and beautiful. Utah defiantly makes you realize and understand that us, as humans, are only little accessories to God’s great creation; the Earth.

Continued.....

READ THE REST OF MIA'S STORY AND SEE MORE PHOTOS HERE: http://www.utvunderground.com/my-first-time-to-moab-39207.html

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
awesome write up Mia! We love it there too and hope to get back again sometime soon. Trevor was only about 4 last time we went. My turn to drive was Pritchett Canyon. I showed all the boys up in our Sami! Haha! I hope to see you racing again soon. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with on the track! :)

Reactions: Rokitman

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
Nice job MiaD. The wonderment of seeing Moab for the first time is hard to put into words but you did it nicely. Bravo!

Reactions: JoeyD23

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Dang Joey, 1st the boys in their video breaking down their car. Now your daughter with this great trip report and descriptions of Moab, you might as well retire now haha!

RWTDCT

Its an RZR Thing - La Familia
Jun 13, 2013
Central Coast, Ca. (Paso)
This story kind-of reminds me of the first time I went to Moab. Moab has its own kind of beauty. A place that everyone needs to see.

Excellent Story. Great job Mia D.

Reactions: JoeyD23

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
I gotta say though Mia, Moab Rim scared the bejeesus outta me and I've done Cliffhanger, Strike ravine, Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, and others in my 570. But Moab Rim was the toughest for me. You got more guts than me ridin with yer dad!:p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000