Naatv's KOH Recap

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
I picked up the Rzr from Lonestar Racing on the Friday night 4 days before leaving for the KOH. They had just finished up there Prototype long travel for the Xp900. I went from Lonestar straight to Parker for some testing. I hadnt had the car since the middle of December. Parker went great and the car was flawless. I packed up for Koh on Tuesday and left that night. The drivers meeting started out great with me getting drawn for pole position in the unlimited class, untill there were some names that were missed and we did a re draw. On the re draw i was drawn 15th which was almost at the back of the Unlimited 4 class. On the start i pulled away from the person that started next to me and proceeded to reel in many other cars. By the time i made it to the first pit i was in 2nd place and i was in the dust of 1st place. I was gaining fast and i had pushed the car past its limits. The Lonestar Suspension was eating up the woops and i was trying to make up as much time as possible so i didnt get stuck behind traffic in Elvis. Shortly after Pit 1 the car started handling very erratically, accelerate and pull one way and decelerate it pulled the opposite direction. We jumped out looked around the car and found the left rear axle missing lol. So we climbed back in and at that point Brian B passed me. I tried to keep race pace with one broke axle and it did pretty well. We entered the top of Elvice and got to the first rock pile began to accelerate and relized that only one rear tire was turning with no front drive at all. I climbed out and inspected front axles everything seemed good. Went to the back of the car reached in at the driveshaft and pulled out a broke in half driveshaft. So at that point we called it a day 1 wheel drive doesnt get the car anywhere.

I would like to thank:

Northern Az Atv & off Road (Our Business) for building the cage and everything else on the car besides the suspension.

Lonestar Racing for building the suspension that helped me to keep the car pinned through the desert sections

Muzzys Performance for the bolt ons to push me through the desert

Take a ride with Naatv from 15th place to 2nd in 37 miles, i was on a mission! 1st or break trying!!!

[ame=http://youtu.be/zDv02xpSDXw]King of Hammers 2012 Utv #127 - YouTube[/ame]

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
great recap. Was the lost axle a suspension issue or did it break and fall out. I guess it may be hard to tell.

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
great recap. Was the lost axle a suspension issue or did it break and fall out. I guess it may be hard to tell.
From what i came up with i lost a cv boot which dried up the cv. Once the cv got red hot it welded itself together and in turn broke the axle shaft. So once the shaft broke i kept going. Once i stopped i had both the cv joints still with the shaft missing. There was a piece broken off in the outer cv

yield2me

May 17, 2011
I remember seeing an axle with 2 ripped boots somewhere on Soggy lake bed (or whatever the first dry lake bed was) and thought it was kind of odd!!

Rob

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
Here is the aftermath from a glowing red hot cv joint!

You can see the ball tracks of the inner star have puddled steel, and the cage and balls are deformed.

rupert14

Jan 14, 2010
This seems to be a somewhat common problem with the new XP. I saw an XP broken down the first 10 miles at parker this year and it did the same thing. Both fronts did it and the car actually caught fire! He claims his CV boots were not secured. Any idea why it happened to yours?

P.S. your new car looks great. I am glad to hear you are back in the racing scene. Coming to the Mint?

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
This seems to be a somewhat common problem with the new XP. I saw an XP broken down the first 10 miles at parker this year and it did the same thing. Both fronts did it and the car actually caught fire! He claims his CV boots were not secured. Any idea why it happened to yours?

P.S. your new car looks great. I am glad to hear you are back in the racing scene. Coming to the Mint?
Im not exactly sure if it was boot failure, clamp failure, or....... but I will let Greg chime in on what he thinks may have been the culprit.

And I would LOVE to do the Mint, or any BITD race, but I don't think I have the funds or pit support to complete or start the race (I need to team up with Raber racing ;) lol) . That would be my dream though! I may just do WORCS, it is a little more affordable and requires less pit support.

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
Im not sure exactly what happened. There was no trace of boots on this side, so they could have came off, lost all the grease, and it was game over. The other side of the car still had the boots on, as the part of the boot under the clamps were melted to the housing. The boots were split into 2, like the hot end melted off, and the main part just flopped around. I had to scrap off the rubber, and there was melted rubber inside the ball tracks on the diff side too.. On this joint, there was no rubber residue or anything, so my guess is the clamps let go.

G--

rupert14

Jan 14, 2010
Im not exactly sure if it was boot failure, clamp failure, or....... but I will let Greg chime in on what he thinks may have been the culprit.

And I would LOVE to do the Mint, or any BITD race, but I don't think I have the funds or pit support to complete or start the race (I need to team up with Raber racing ;) lol) . That would be my dream though! I may just do WORCS, it is a little more affordable and requires less pit support.
If I was able to hook you up with a sponsor that provides pit support would that help?

rupert14

Jan 14, 2010
Im not sure exactly what happened. There was no trace of boots on this side, so they could have came off, lost all the grease, and it was game over. The other side of the car still had the boots on, as the part of the boot under the clamps were melted to the housing. The boots were split into 2, like the hot end melted off, and the main part just flopped around. I had to scrap off the rubber, and there was melted rubber inside the ball tracks on the diff side too.. On this joint, there was no rubber residue or anything, so my guess is the clamps let go.

G--
Hmmmm....... it seems the boots are letting go on a lot of people. These CV's may need different lube or better boots. It just seems odd that there are a lot of them melting and they seem to be associated with the XP's. Were the ones in the pics from an XP as well? Are those Brandon's ?

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah, that picture is of his rear wheel, driver side joint, off the RZR XP.
G-

Hounslow

El Jefe Numero Uno - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 1, 2009
Definitely gonna need at least one chase / fuel vehicle. More than likely 2. I'm in!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000