Other NEW 2014 Yamaha VIKING **UTVUnderground Exclusive**

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I see no reason to buy this machine at all. I was waiting for this, looks like I will go with an xp now. Why get this with a 686 when you can get a ranger farm vehicle with a bigger motor. I bet there is room now though to put an apex in it.
thats were yamaha missed it. If you were going for the 66% of sales then go for it dont do it half ass. polaris/kawi/canam/johndeere/arcticcat all have twin cylinder farm/military/mine/hunting rigs. but not yamaha. atleast you could of made it haul the heaviest weight lol. me personally would take the ranger 900 over yamaha way more storage, bigger bed,more power actually accelerate up hill then slow down and i think even more travel. just my 2 cents

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
The Ranger 900 is still out of the Viking's class. I think when they were designing this machine the Ranger 800, 500 and Prowler HDX were the machines they were going after. I have a feeling the Ranger XP900 caught them off-guard. Here is my guess for what will come over the next 5 years...

Yamaha Sport UTV 850cc 80+hp w/ suspension and design for us sport guys
Yamaha Viking 850cc
Yamaha SXS 850cc Sport 4-seat
Yamaha Viking 850cc Crew
Yamaha 50" 700 or 850.

Those are my predictions... I don't see them jumping to 1000cc right away. Japanese are very conservative, look at Kawasaki for an example.

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
The Ranger 900 is still out of the Viking's class. I think when they were designing this machine the Ranger 800, 500 and Prowler HDX were the machines they were going after. I have a feeling the Ranger XP900 caught them off-guard. Here is my guess for what will come over the next 5 years...

Yamaha Viking 850cc
Yamaha Viking 850cc Crew
Yamaha 50" 700 or 850.

Those are my predictions... I don't see them jumping to 1000cc right away. Japanese are very conservative, look at Kawasaki for an example.
Those are similar guesses to what I would say. I just don't see Yamaha releasing a 50" model due to them being worried about rollover potential. I was surprised when they didn't release a factory 4 seater. The sport model is coming one day but they better bring something big to table with cc or other extreme and go economical sport or they would have invested all that money for nothing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
The bar is set pretty high and I think its gonna take a lot to impress people now. Polaris has manages to fill many niche parts of the market with a good product and everyone else is chasing that.

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012

Yamaha Viking 850cc
Yamaha Viking 850cc Crew
Yamaha 50" 700 or 850.

by the time they get ready to drop a sport sxs if it doesn't have 100+hp and 18" of travel they aught not make it cause the sport guys are goin for biggest and baddest and right now the xp and mav have it on lock.

And I have a feeling Polaris probly has a bigger better sxs sitting there waiting to be revealed in case someone trys to one up them

stonehenge

Nov 7, 2011
"lipstick on a pig"

...and yes those long travel rhino's for 4 or 5 grand would be a better buy.

686? really, that's not a typo?

stonehenge

Nov 7, 2011
I respectfully take issue with the notion that Yamaha had limited or no "freedom of development" during their civil litigation time period. I would bet a trillion dollars they have been busy as beavers in development, and more than capable to bring much more to the table. They just chose not to. And just like Honda in the 83' federal consent decree, they have been neutered!

I make no claim this is to compete in the sport market, that is painfully obvious. But in the "utility" target market, they failed just as bad.

You can fluff all you want, stroke them and pet them, but the fact remains, this is a way under powered UTV in a competitive market. The 66% that allegedly claims this nitch market still wants a motor. And Yamaha does NOT deliver.

Truth hurts, and so will the consumers when they don't purchase this outdated, weak power plant.

The consumers aren't getting any perks to fluff this pig, nor will they buy it.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I respectfully take issue with the notion that Yamaha had limited or no "freedom of development" during their civil litigation time period. I would bet a trillion dollars they have been busy as beavers in development, and more than capable to bring much more to the table. They just chose not to. And just like Honda in the 83' federal consent decree, they have been neutered!

I make no claim this is to compete in the sport market, that is painfully obvious. But in the "utility" target market, they failed just as bad.

You can fluff all you want, stroke them and pet them, but the fact remains, this is a way under powered UTV in a competitive market. The 66% that allegedly claims this nitch market still wants a motor. And Yamaha does NOT deliver.

Truth hurts, and so will the consumers when they don't purchase this outdated, weak power plant.

The consumers aren't getting any perks to fluff this pig, nor will they buy it.
So if what you are saying is true then no one buys or would buy a Ranger 500 or John Deere RSX??? I think you underestimate the need for machines that don't have larger cc engines. Lets face it, the Viking has a top speed that is the same as some much larger cc'd engines.

I think people are too focused on the engine not being an 850 or larger. Lets face it, even if Yamaha put a 750 or 850cc engine in the Viking most would still complain that it doesn't compare to a RZR or Maverick still ignoring the fact that this machine was never intended to compete with those machines.

I think we all know Yamaha has been R&Ding the pat couple years. They wouldn't make the new UTV every year for the next 5 years if they hadn't.

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
So if what you are saying is true then no one buys or would buy a Ranger 500 or John Deere RSX??? I think you underestimate the need for machines that don't have larger cc engines. Lets face it, the Viking has a top speed that is the same as some much larger cc'd engines.

I think people are too focused on the engine not being an 850 or larger. Lets face it, even if Yamaha put a 750 or 850cc engine in the Viking most would still complain that it doesn't compare to a RZR or Maverick still ignoring the fact that this machine was never intended to compete with those machines.

I think we all know Yamaha has been R&Ding the pat couple years. They wouldn't make the new UTV every year for the next 5 years if they hadn't.

Joey I think you right about the need for utvs like this but I disagree with it competing with the John Deere rsx the v twins make so much more torque than the single cylinders they may have the same top speed but if the Viking is anything like the rhino 700 it doesn't have the get up and go that even people with farm machines want. I do however think they will sell but not near as many as yamaha is hoping for

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Joey I think you right about the need for utvs like this but I disagree with it competing with the John Deere rsx the v twins make so much more torque than the single cylinders they may have the same top speed but if the Viking is anything like the rhino 700 it doesn't have the get up and go that even people with farm machines want. I do however think they will sell but not near as many as yamaha is hoping for
I should have been more specific. I was comparing it more to the Deere XUV 550 and 825i. I would bet you that the Viking has as much get up and go as both of those, the Kawasaki Mule, Ranger 500 etc etc. that's it's competition right now.

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
I completely misunderstood the market they were trying to hit I thought they were trying to compete with John Deere rsx, ranger 800, teryx the rec./ work horse market. I believe that's 66% of the utv/sxs market. I have a hard time seeing the mule and ranger 500 being a big part of the market that market. But the things I like about it is the wheel base the t4s seem to do awesome on the trails and rock crawling so I would think think Viking would do pretty good in those same catagories.

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
So does this mean if this is the 3 seat version, then theres a 6 seat version down the road with an added rear seat?

98GP

Apr 25, 2012
So does this mean if this is the 3 seat version, then theres a 6 seat version down the road with an added rear seat?
This would interest me.
My family off six needs something big and the ranger crew looks just way too big to be fun. I have been looking at the T4 and making a T5 and making do.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I took this picture (attached) when I was with Yamaha a couple of weeks ago. I don't see this chassis supporting a 4 seat or 6 seat option...

i love cut away pics.

hmmm usually UTV fuel tanks have straps over them. with tabs on a plastic tank i could see the tab breaking over time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000