New Land Use guy from Cali

Todd Ockert

Feb 11, 2015
Hanford, Ca
www.sharetrails.org
Hello Undergrounders.

I am Todd Ockert, from Hanford California.
I am the BRC President.

I am a Jeep owner, but have played with UTV's with friends that have them.
One day, I might have one when I am tired of fixing the Jeep.

BRC is here to help keep OUR access open for everyone.
If you have questions, please let me know.

I did have Don Amador, our Western Representative get down to the B2B meeting in Laughlin a while back. For those that were there, I hope you had time to say Hi.
I am working to get him and others from BRC to some of the UTV races and events.

We are always looking for members, as we are a member driven organization.
Here is a link to join BRC: https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute

Attached is a member discount that we partnered with Seat Concepts and Rocky Mountain ATV/MC with.
You can print this and send it in for a discount on the membership.

Thanks

Todd

Attachments

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Welcome!!! I do have a question. What do you know about the alternative energy bills that want to designate millions of acres in the Mojave desert to be used for alternative energy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd Ockert

Feb 11, 2015
Hanford, Ca
www.sharetrails.org
John Stewart, who is on the BRC BOD's and also the Cal4Wheel Sourther Natural Resources Consultant has been tracking those for us. Don Amador is also engaged with John to make sure our best interests are met within that process.
I will ask both of them to check in here and make some posts about these issues that we are tracking.

Thanks for asking.

Todd

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Thanks it has concerned me because I have seen what wind farms and solar fields take away from us land wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd Ockert

Feb 11, 2015
Hanford, Ca
www.sharetrails.org
Here are the alerts that BRC has posted.
BLM Releases Draft West Mojave Planning Area Route Network Project for Public Review
http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2...-area-route-network-project-for-public-review

Ocotillo Wells SVRA Seeks Input on Draft Planning Alternatives & BLM's Proposed Action
http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2...t-planning-alternatives--blms-proposed-action

Dianne Feinstein pushes California desert protection

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/environment/2015/02/09/sand-snow-national-monument/23147381/

This link is from John Stewart on his 4x4Voice site.

Balancing development and conservation
http://4x4voice.com/entry/balancing-development-and-conservation

Todd

Cumpy

Feb 7, 2015
Does BRC get involved in politics? It seems to me, so many people pay so little attention to what individual politicians are doing they don't even know who's responsible for land closures and other idiotic actions. Every time these politicians propose or vote for this type of stuff a email should be sent detailing their actions. Before every local election, a sample ballot should be sent out to your members with the names of the candidates BRC supports. In the same email, BRC should list the reasons they're NOT supporting the anti off-roading candidate.
Too many groups only focus on just the lobbying effort. This is important but, ultimately, the far left candidate will do what the environmental Nazi's want. The trick leftist use to close ORV areas (and other far left issues they support) is to do things one small step at a time. Look at all of the land that's been closed to us the tax payers. If they took all the lands that have been shut down so far, if they tried to do it all at the same time they know they wouldn't be able to do it. The public outcry would be too great doing it all at once.
You're group and others like it need to get together and form a 501c3 political action committee that directly opposes individual candidates. Unless you're as big as the NRA for example, you can't do this alone. You have to join forces and combine your resources.
My family was heavly involved in politics (some are still involved) in my state for many years, I'm not just throwing this out there. If have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Cumpy

Todd Ockert

Feb 11, 2015
Hanford, Ca
www.sharetrails.org
Cumpy

I wish BRC could do more on the political side, but we are hamstrung by how much lobbying and interaction we can have with elected officials..
We are not able to tell you who to vote for, as BRC did get in trouble trying to do that years ago, long before my time as the President.
As mentioned, Don Amador has a TrailPac that he does talk about who is on our side in the political arena.

Don Amador is also the BRC Western representative doing land use stuff for us.

Todd

Cumpy

Feb 7, 2015
BRC does have its hands tied and so do other groups on our side. That's why a 501c3 needs to be formed and receive support from everyone in the off-road industry. It does have to be a different organization, but the names and contacts could be shared with the new organization in order to try and get funded. When it's all said and done, it doesn't matter how much money is given to a elected person. If they hate your cause, which many of them do, they'll just continue with the little by little technique. If they say they're taking 100,000 acres and then only take 50,000 they can say they helped you. The thing is, from the beginning they overstate what they want and end up with a smaller chunk of land making everyone think they compromised. We can lobby all we want but the truth is we need to defeat these people in elections or the circle will continue.

Todd Ockert

Feb 11, 2015
Hanford, Ca
www.sharetrails.org
Cumpy, for an organization to lobby in Washington, it would have to be one other than a 501c3. A c5 or 7 is the appropriate organization to do this.
There are a couple out there already, like Cal4Wheel is a not-for-profit organization or a c5 I think. They have a foundation c3 to take tax deductible donations from members and businesses.
We have discussed forming a c5 or c7 at BRC to allow us to lobby, but not had the time or resources to set it up.

I do agree that the elected officials are going to do what they want, or for who gives them the most money. OHV interests probably will not be that group, as we do not have millions in the bank like our non-OHV friends do.

Todd

Cumpy

Feb 7, 2015
501c3 are used for running political ads and they don't have contribution limits.

John Stewart

Apr 6, 2015
501c3 are used for running political ads and they don't have contribution limits.
Actually, see: http://www.4x4voice.com/Notebook/club-business/index.html?19

501c3's are restricted in lobbying activities that ADVOCATE a specific position. They can (and do) run "political ads" that are informational in nature but do not advocate a position. The IRS dustup with nonprofits being held on IRS status concerned 501c4 organizations which are technically "non-profit" and are for direct advocacy of positions.

There is already a Washington DC based lobby group for OHV: http://www.arra-access.com

AMA, BRC and a few others are connected with that group.

BTW, my name was mentioned earlier and by way of introduction, I am John Stewart, Natural Resources Consultant for Cal4Wheel, Board Member of BlueRibbon Coalition and Editor of 4x4wire.com.

I am an avid recreation advocate.....

Reactions: BLR

Cumpy

Feb 7, 2015
You are correct, it's c4. My cousin is the liaison for a large city and I asked him about it in a casual conversation when this thread popped up. The problem was, I didn't go into enough detail when I was picking his mind and that's my fault.
You guys are doing us a great favor and I appreciate that! You have your work cut out for you, it seems like I hear about areas closing once a month.

John Stewart

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks. If you visit my site 4x4voice.com, you will find a wealth of information about landuse battles in California and a good explanation of the administrative processes we are fighting to keep public lands open for recreation.

We appreciate the support from the user community and encourage everyone to join organizations as your membership dues help us keep fighting...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000