New law requiring helmets in california

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I just got this automated mass e-mail from Polaris promoting the new 2013 line of XP's.

At the bottom of the page I saw this.

"Warning: The Polaris RANGER and RZR side by side vehicles are not intended for on-road use. Driver must be at least 16 years old with a valid driver's license to operate. Passengers must be at least 12 years old and tall enough to grasp the hand holds and plant feet firmly on the floor. All SxS drivers should take a safety training course. Drivers and passengers should always wear helmets, eye protection, protective clothing, and seat belts. Always use cab nets. Be particularly careful on difficult terrain. Never drive on public roads or paved surfaces. Never engage in stunt driving, and avoid excessive speeds and sharp turns. Riding and alcohol/drugs don't mix. Check local laws before riding on trails. ATVs can be hazardous to operate. Polaris vehicles are for riders 16 and older. For your safety, always wear a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing, and be sure to take a safety training course. For more information, visit our website at Polaris ATV, RANGER, RZR, Snowmobiles, Victory, GEM Global Website. All riders are professionals on a closed course."

Does anyone remember seeing passengers must be 12 years old and be able to reach the grab bar & have your feet planted on the floor, listed in the list of warning disclaimers before? A course this is Polaris's advise, but age is not even listed in AB1595?

Dont forget to keep calling those phone #'s. Its easy to think you already did it and someone else will. But the fact is for every 1 call they get there are 10 more where people forget too, or just dont care too. We need to make those calls for them.

As soon as we back down, so will the politicians from fixing this.

http://www.rzrforums.net/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1056532

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
From a liability point of view, I think the MFG are trying to limit feet and legs from exiting the interior of the vehicle, the worst injuries from roll overs are when arms and legs are outside the safety cage.
This is why the nets, and doors are added.
Co-worker was a expert wittness for a UTV roll over where the passenger lost a hand, holding onto the top of the cage.

Just my ten cents
The helmet part will stay the seats and feet on the floor part is gone.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Please keep calling. It looks and sounds as if Cook's office has written up the revised bill. But now we need the committee to Vote YES on the changes.

Let Paul Cook know that his job is not done yet! He heeds to lobby his constitutes to Vote this threw! If he does not that his bid for Governor is going to be an up hill battle. Same with every other representative in the state of California. If they dont support Cooks amendments then we cant support them!

FIND YOU STATE REPRESENTATIVES
http://192.234.213.69/amapsearch/

Paul Cook Assemblymen & author of the bill (Let them know if this is not fixed you will support Gregg Imus for Congress!)
909-790-4196 main office
916-319-2065 Capitol office

V Manuel Perez 80th district Assemblymen (Imperial Valley & Glamis)
760-336-8912 El Centro office (They need more calls!)
916-319-2080 Capitol office (They need more calls!)

Brian Jones 77th district Assemblymen (San Diego County including Anza Borrego & Cleveland National Forest) (Off-Roader himself)
619-441-2322 Santee office
916-319-2077 Capitol office

Juan Vargas District 40 Senator (Cleveland National forest, Anza Borrego & Glamis)
619-409-7690 Chula Vista Office
760-335-3442 El Centro office
916-651-4040 Capitol office

Tim Donnelly District 36 Assemblymen (Hemet, Lucerne valley) OHV Supporter
760-244-5277 Hesperia office
916-319-2059 Capitol Office

Joel Anderson District 36 Senator (El Cajon, Temecula, Cleveland National Forest) OHV Supporter
619-596-3136 El Cajon office

Congressmen Bob Filner 51st district (San Diego, El Centro, Superstition, Glamis, Salton Sea)
(619) 422-5963 San Diego office
(760) 355-8800 Imperial Valley office
(202) 225-8045 Capitol

Assemblymen Connie Conway (San Bernardino)
(559) 636-3440 Main office (Needs more calls)
(916) 319-2034 Capitol office

Senator Bill Emerson (District 37 Riverside County)
(760) 568-0408 Palm Desert office (Needs more calls)
(916) 651-4037 Capitol office (Needs more calls)

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Open 10:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m Eastern Time
800-514-0301 (Long automated message, Dial 7 for assistance)
Or (202) 307-0663

National Headquarters Little People of America, Inc.
Toll-free: (888) LPA-2001
Direct: (714) 368-3689

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I dont know how this can be, but Juan Vargas's El Centro office did not know much about this. I know I called that office last week and they took my opinion down. This time Gina in the office was very interested as she said this was her first call that she remembers about this bill. She to uses the OHV areas and realizes the impact it will have if they restrict the UTV's in the desert.

She asked me to have people please call the office. You can also drop an e-mail (But I think getting a live voice is better. If I would not have called and spoke to her she would not have known? She admitted the economic impact for the Sand Dunes could be huge in the long term.

PLEASE CALL each of these numbers.

Juan Vargas District 40 Senator (Cleveland National forest, Anza Borrego & Glamis)
619-409-7690 Chula Vista Office
760-335-3442 El Centro office
916-651-4040 Capitol office

joes5091

Jan 20, 2010
I just got this automated mass e-mail from Polaris promoting the new 2013 line of XP's.

At the bottom of the page I saw this.

"Warning: The Polaris RANGER and RZR side by side vehicles are not intended for on-road use. Driver must be at least 16 years old with a valid driver's license to operate. Passengers must be at least 12 years old and tall enough to grasp the hand holds and plant feet firmly on the floor. All SxS drivers should take a safety training course. Drivers and passengers should always wear helmets, eye protection, protective clothing, and seat belts. Always use cab nets. Be particularly careful on difficult terrain. Never drive on public roads or paved surfaces. Never engage in stunt driving, and avoid excessive speeds and sharp turns. Riding and alcohol/drugs don't mix. Check local laws before riding on trails. ATVs can be hazardous to operate. Polaris vehicles are for riders 16 and older. For your safety, always wear a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing, and be sure to take a safety training course. For more information, visit our website at Polaris ATV, RANGER, RZR, Snowmobiles, Victory, GEM Global Website. All riders are professionals on a closed course."

Does anyone remember seeing passengers must be 12 years old and be able to reach the grab bar & have your feet planted on the floor, listed in the list of warning disclaimers before? A course this is Polaris's advise, but age is not even listed in AB1595?

Dont forget to keep calling those phone #'s. Its easy to think you already did it and someone else will. But the fact is for every 1 call they get there are 10 more where people forget too, or just dont care too. We need to make those calls for them.

As soon as we back down, so will the politicians from fixing this.
I just emailed Polaris and told them I WILL NOT be buying a new Polaris product and Im cuuting up my Polaris Credit Card.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Guys, while the manufacturers are in support of these changes you must understand the bigger picture. They are trying to do what they can to prevent the manufacturing of bigger faster products from being halted. I had a long conversation with executives from Kawasaki last week who called me to discuss this matter. They wanted to make sure we all knew #1 that they were not sure why they were singled out on the bill, as all of the manufacturers were in support of this. What they explained was that while of course they understand our side as enthusiasts we must understand their side. Should laws like this not be put in place then we shouldn't be surprised that when laws against the manufacturers get passed forcing them to essentially build UTV's that WE would never want to drive thus forcing them to just halt all production.

We do need to continue to fight for what we think is fair, and what we feel is right but as Jeff Knoll told me in conversation, sometimes its best to amputate an arm to save the entire body. Think about that for a minute...

With that said! Keep the fight alive, but don't forget about the big picture here.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Lots of discussion here in Utah this week about AB 1595.

Keep in mind that the Consumer Products Safety Commission is looking for an outright ban on this type of vehicle. IMHO we need to carefully craft changes to this bill or we may be undoing preventative measures to curb a worse action.

Please don't read this the wrong way I personally don't believe we need un-enforceable laws crafted to protect us from ourselves, but I also see the bigger picture.

If it makes some bean counter in Washington, or Sacramento happy enough to allow us to keep having fun I will live with the helmet portion. I make the choice to wear a helmet about half the time at any rate.

PS I rode in the back of a truck here in Utah with my kid yesterday, and I did not die.:D

Keep up the pressure you guys are making big waves in a small pool that had only baby sharks. Great job on this, the shock wave is bigger than you might know. UTV owners are not a sleeping giant any longer.

joes5091

Jan 20, 2010
I just emailed Polaris and told them I WILL NOT be buying a new Polaris product and Im cuuting up my Polaris Credit Card.
This is the stupid reply I got from Polaris and Papa Bear you are way to Bias all the Manufactures have supported this in ways!Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries with your constructive feedback for the new RZR. Your comments have been fully reviewed and documented for continuous improvement. Polaris would like to assure you that we are constantly striving to provide our customers with the best Product Group in terms of quality and value. Your valuable input will allow us to move closer to achieving our goals.

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
I say " hey Kawasaki, BLA BLA BLA!" They tell you what you want to hear, (sorry Joey, no disrespect). If they gave a rat's behind about the safety of the end user they would not build these things that have roll cages with tubing equivalent to conduit that fold up like a lawn chair when rolled, and as Papa Bear said, standard 5 point harnesses and doors. That's how you protect the occupants. I know, Oh but that will raise the cost of each unit to consumers. Yea ........., so what!

The margins on these things is incredible. If they all want to be able to continue manufacturing these UTV's, then make them safe, and quit only thinking of share holder value which is all they care about, believe me. I was born at night but it wasn't last night!

Oh the corporate world, you gotta love em'

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Papa Bear you are smoking CRACK if you think for one minute that Kawasaki does not CARE about us! If they didnt care then they would tell everyone to go F themselves by not making another SXS and just saying to hell with trying to do anything for our sport in terms of saving it.

Are any of you blind to what Jeff Knoll just posted or to what I just said about the MANUFACTURERS trying to SAVE THIS SPORT? Are you guys so self centered that you can't for one minute put yourselves in their shoes? Do you not realize that the manufacturers by trying to make whats already been in their USER MANUALS for years law because all of the ambulance chasing lawyers are trying to ruin this sport?

EVERY MANUFACTURER INVOLVED IN ROHVA SUPPORTED THIS!!!!!! Can everyone see that??? ROHVA spoke on behalf of all of them, who cares if Kawasaki was in attendance, who cares if Kawasakis name is on the bill, ROHVA is on the bill and they represent EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Geez guys... IN case you missed what Jeff Knoll just said, and what we have tried to convey many times in this thread and in conversation - "Keep in mind that the Consumer Products Safety Commission is looking for an outright ban on this type of vehicle."

If we don't bend to allow certain rules to be put in place we risk the CPSC to enact a law or rules that would force manufacturers to build UTV's in a way that NONE OF US WOULD WANT TO DRIVE THEM thus forcing manufacturers to just say the hell with it and go the route of the ATC. Again, we may need to lose an arm to save the body. Wearing a helmet or saying no more bench seats bolted into a bed may just be something we need to deal with.

I am not saying I like this law, but I like this law WAY more than I like not have any UTVs or any more business in this sport. Kawasaki is VERY much for all of us as enthusiasts, as is Polaris, Arctic Cat, Can-Am, John Deere, Yamaha, Honda, etc etc.. If they weren't then why would they even be putting this law in place? They want to continue building and selling machines for ALL OF US TO ENJOY. If they feel they need to implement rules to help protect themselves from the CPSC and from dirty whore lawyers then we should consider supporting them in that. Then again, if wearing a helmet is the friggen end of the world to you then I guess you need to do what you can to fight that?

As for why manufacturers don't put Harnesses in a UTV. Its simple, the minute they do that is the minute they admit that the machines are dangerous enough to need them which means that the dirty whore lawyers can have another bit of ammo in suing them. Its BS, they know it, we know it but LAWYERS will do what they can to make a buck. They are the ones that could give 2 shits about any of you or me or my family. They care about MONEY!

Reactions: 1 person

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
I was wondering, does anyone have the statistics for injuries from UTV's in california? I have never been there, I am just a Missouri backwoods hillbilly but from what I have seen from video's of most of the riding area's you guy's have, it's mostly flat land and the dunes with few trees.

Out here in Missouri, our trails are heavily wooded with large trees and boulders on each side so if you are at speed and smack one of them, somebody is gonna be cryin'. So we alway's wear helmets. But I can see your gripe about the helmet law if there isn't much to hit and stop you in your tracks except another machine. We have alway's had a motorcycle helmet law for the street here in Missouri and when I travel in Illinois and see all these bikers with no helmets on I alway's think " are you guy's nuts? I mean really,why? what would be so terrible about having a helmet on ? " We have stories every week on the local news with these guy's being killed. To each his own I guess.

BR549

Freedom Is Not Free
Dec 27, 2009
Phoenix, AZ.
Joey, if anyone is smoking something it is weed, as the motivation for freedom seems to be compromise or were cool about it? Well we have an election coming where we can tell the FEDS go suck eggs! I don't believe in compromise because it is always their way or the highway! This is a supposed to be a free country, even though we don't look very free for the last 30 years, but start with the lawyers and the laws, not with us! If you think the Manufactures care about anything but the Bottom line your blind, they should use their money and resources to fight together with us for a better product and a safer one as well! I don't buy the Harness issue from their prospective, that make no real sense at all, except their bottom line! Why not a law that simple says if you modify it at all you CAN'T sue the Manufacture? How about better Judges? How about better Politicians! Live Free or Die! Never give up, not even an inch, when it is your freedom at stake! You need to talk to Cooks aid Matt about Kawasaki's involvement because the perception is as important as the truth!

As for California we have all kinds of terrain, not just the big flats and sand dunes! A lot of the problems are because people get in over their heads, use bad judgement, Drugs, and Alcohol play a roll as well! People kill themselves on the road ways all the time, but we aren't banning convertibles, Trucks, or Smart Cars! You can't legislate stupid, but you can pass some stupid laws! We either pull together or we will lose it all! If I can't take my family then it is back to my Jeep and stop all the hassle! Or maybe a POS sand rail built in someones back yard that you don't have wear a helmet going 100mph!

The industry through the consumer under the bus for the bottom line, but they may have woken up the sleeping giant, and after all it is all our money we spend with them! The customer is always right, something forgotten in to days world!

Sense when are recommendations written by lawyers supposed to be Law? That is flawed thinking to me, it is about personal responsibility and as for them wanting all of us to go riding, what about the youngsters? They want to sell units period and could care less about the family aspect! They haven't built a machine that is family friendly unless all your family is 16! We have modified our rides to accommodate our families! Your own after market industry is at risk to satisfy the Manufactures! You can't put lipstick on this pig and tell us is is a beauty queen!

If you are 16 do you think you'ed be happy with a 170? Really? Recommendations?

As far as the Consumer safety Commission, they are a government agency and work for us! The right administration can close their doors! The Lead Battery Issue is a good example!
Yep, What Papa Bear said the truth sometimes hurts, at what point do you quit giving up you freedoms? As of 1-1-2013 my duning days are over i will spend no more money in CA!. When the money drops off from the land use fees the law will change that is a 100% guarantee.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I think JOEY said it best, stop frivolous lawsuits, and we stop the stupid laws that come because of the stupid lawsuits!!!!!! The whore lawyers out trying to make a buck off of us off-roaders.... Not many out there that would own up to flipping their UTV and causing their own injuries and paying their own bills when Jackass lawyers show up and tell them how they can get their bills paid and some extra cash....:eek: BTW, in the group of off-roaders I ride with, I haven't met one lawyer :rolleyes: ...... My parents used to belong to a buggy club in the 80's, really large one that still exists, never met a lawyer there either.....hmmm, maybe that's why its so hard to find one to represent our cause, they'd stop making money off of us....

joes5091

Jan 20, 2010
JoeyD I want to thank you for you great reply to this it made alot of sense Even thou I dont agree with the kids part of the law, witch I think will be shot down in a Court somewhere Me I really believe people should wear a Helmet but thats my choice. Again Thank You!

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
Lots of different views, I can see both sides but I will never agree with big government telling me I need to wear a helmet at all times in my utv. It should be a choice! People are killed all the time in cars so when is the gov going to make all of us wear helmets driving down the freeway? When it is your time to go, that is it, that is how I was raised and I truly believe in it.

I think that the target needs to be CPSC, If they are aiming to kill the UTV then we need to attack them!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
This is why we will lose in the end and makes me wonder why we try? We can't even agree that we are under a bus, let alone who put us there! It is the "Manufactures LOVE of us" that they know better than to let or children ride with us or that we need a helmet! Well it is their love for profit that motivates them to restrict us even if they have to have our government do it! We aren't locked into these vehicles except they meet our needs, when they don't we have options, Jeep, Long Travel Cars, ATVs, Bikes, Buggies, Home Made stuff (Exempt) and 4x4s! They don't have the only game in town! It might be back to the Buggies for many Glamis Families? Jim's Build is exempt for example for the same money and it will go anywhere and you can take your kid without a helmet!

:D
:D
"anywhere" ??....It won't make chicken gizzard!! :p:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000