New law requiring helmets in california

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Just as a matter of record, I am against helmet laws, seatbelt laws, cell phone laws ect as a matter of personal belief. But that being said if given the personal choice between banning of an item outright, or manipulation of a product so severly that it becomes obsolete, I will consider the lesser of two evils on paper and make a personal choice on obeying the law when the time comes.

That being said, I talk on my cell phone while driving almost every day. I wear an illegal helmet on my street bike, and I run with scissors. I will accept the consequences of my actions.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Just as a matter of record, I am against helmet laws, seatbelt laws, cell phone laws ect as a matter of personal belief. But that being said if given the personal choice between banning of an item outright, or manipulation of a product so severly that it becomes obsolete, I will consider the lesser of two evils on paper and make a personal choice on obeying the law when the time comes.

That being said, I talk on my cell phone while driving almost every day. I wear an illegal helmet on my street bike, and I run with scissors. I will accept the consequences of my actions.
Joey needs a like button on this site;) I hate to say it, but this new law is a ban for me, I Fed the F**k up and have my car for sale. If I wanted to wear a helmet I wouldn't have sold my quads for pennies on the dollar when UTV's came out.

Dunecrusher

Dunecrusher
May 14, 2012
Oak hills CA
I'm against the MC helmet law but it doesn't mean I won't wear one. There is a lot of protective gear produce for every sport and it should be our choice what, if any of it, we want to wear. MC riders on the freeways sometimes only choose to wear a Helmet, no shirt, shorts and flip flops. Do we now try to pass laws telling people what to wear besides the helmet to protect them from themselves?

Rzrcsi

La Familia
Jun 18, 2012
Central Cal.

I guess we need to be prepared to accept a manufacturer installed governor (and LEO w/ radar in the dunes) to limit our speed to 25 MPH because someone decides that is the maximum safe speed for these out of control machines and we will accept it because we would rather have something than nothing ?? NOT

To each his own, but if they were trying to severely limit speed I think we would be having an entirely different discussion.

I too run w/ scissors but only w/ a full face helmet as "required" by the stickers on the scissors.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I guess we need to be prepared to accept a manufacturer installed governor (and LEO w/ radar in the dunes) to limit our speed to 25 MPH because someone decides that is the maximum safe speed for these out of control machines and we will accept it because we would rather have something than nothing ?? NOT

To each his own, but if they were trying to severely limit speed I think we would be having an entirely different discussion.

I too run w/ scissors but only w/ a full face helmet as "required" by the stickers on the scissors.
If the CPSC has their way the speed law would not be that far off.

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
Every choice in life has a risk. Its up to you on how you protect yourself. Look at something as basic as a lawnmower. Just looking at the basic stats it looks like's these things are very dangerous. However all over this great country everyday people are out mowing without any required training class, there is not a "LAW" requiring protective gear to be worn while operating.

The AAP suggests that “the minimum age for operation of lawn mowers by children is at least 16 years for ride-on mowers and at least 12 years for walk-behind power mowers and hand mowers.†Children who are old enough should be properly taught how to operate the mower and how to take safety precautions.

Lawn mower-related injuries are among the most horrific injuries seen at the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt. They are devastating to families, and doctors say they see them each spring.
These injuries send about 9,000 children and adolescents to hospital emergency departments across the nation each year. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), one-fourth of those injuries occur in children younger than 5.

Statistics
Each year 80,000 Americans require hospital treatment for lawn mower accidents. The majority of those accidents are associated with children under the age of 15 and adults over the age of 60. The most common injuries are strikes by debris that is picked up and thrown by the mower’s spinning blades.
According to the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System’s statistics, 663,000 Americans were seen in emergency rooms for injuries sustained while using lawn mowers from 1996 to 2004. This means that approximately two of every 1,000 emergency room visits results from injuries sustained during lawn mower accidents, which amounts to approximately half the number of annual firearm-related injuries. The most common injury aside from projectile damage is that of a fractured foot.
Interesting info for sure Rusty. :eek:

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
These are the first actual numbers I have seen.

Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (Last Updated 05/04/2011)
Background
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff is participating in voluntary standard activities related to recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs). ROVs are motorized vehicles having four or more tires designed for off-road use and intended by the manufacturer for recreational use by one or more persons.
ROVs are intended to be used on terrain similar to that on which all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are used. ROVs are distinguished from ATVs by the presence of a steering wheel instead of a handle bar for steering, bench or bucket seats for the driver and passenger(s) instead of straddle seating, and foot controls for throttle and braking instead of levers located on the handle bar. In addition, ROVs have a rollover protective system (ROPS), restraint systems, and a maximum speed greater than 30 mph.

CPSC staff reviewed 329 reports of ROV-related fatality and injury incidents that occurred between January 2003 and September 2010. These reports included 169 fatalities and 299 injuries. A significant hazard pattern associated with the ROV-related incidents involved a quarter turn lateral rollover of the vehicle, full or partial ejection of the occupant, and subsequent crushing of the occupant’s head or body by the vehicle. Additionally, it is known that at least 42 percent of occupants were not wearing a seat belt, and 42 percent had unknown seat belt use status. Similarly, at least 53 percent of occupants were not wearing a helmet, while 44 percent of occupants had unknown helmet use status. Reporting for this time period is ongoing; CPSC staff expects to receive further reports of ROV-related incidents occurring in this time-frame.

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
I am just curious where you guys stand on Helmet laws for street bikes? I fully understand the argument of a cage and seatbelt vs riding an MC on the street, but the choice argument also me think you guys are opposed to helmet laws period.

Did you, or would you oppose a law like this if it had nothing to do with you in the name of the protection of freedom?

I guess you can likely see where I am headed with this? Its not meant to be a dig, I just like raising questions that make people think.

Faith is a lot easier than doing research and taking action. We have faith that our elected leadership is looking out for our best interest, or faith that the people running for office are the best qualified, when in reality that does not seem the case when you start digging into things. This discussion is a great example of this.

Some have faith that I am going to do whats right for them, and that I am doing the research, when in fact they should be doing it for themselves, and making their own decisions. As we strip it down to the basics you can see how this apathy affects every aspect of our lives, from large to small.

Just some things to think about.;)

It finally hit 50 pages BTW. :)
Growing up in the fire service I have seen a lot of firemen traumatized by some MC wrecks with no helmets involved, Mixed emotions for me on this.....Helmets have been given a name also, Brain buckets, cause sometimes there was no chance in it helping at all...

But I still think it should be up to the person to have the right to choose. I think that being educated in the statistics might be a good thing, Like others have said, maybe some classes when buying a sxs would be enough?

I do want to be involved in how these things come about, I am bothered by who I see in these meetings with CPSC and ROHVA. Where is our representation? The Sands Family? We obviously see where this has gotten us.

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
These are the first actual numbers I have seen.

Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (Last Updated 05/04/2011)
Background
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff is participating in voluntary standard activities related to recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs). ROVs are motorized vehicles having four or more tires designed for off-road use and intended by the manufacturer for recreational use by one or more persons.
ROVs are intended to be used on terrain similar to that on which all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are used. ROVs are distinguished from ATVs by the presence of a steering wheel instead of a handle bar for steering, bench or bucket seats for the driver and passenger(s) instead of straddle seating, and foot controls for throttle and braking instead of levers located on the handle bar. In addition, ROVs have a rollover protective system (ROPS), restraint systems, and a maximum speed greater than 30 mph.

CPSC staff reviewed 329 reports of ROV-related fatality and injury incidents that occurred between January 2003 and September 2010. These reports included 169 fatalities and 299 injuries. A significant hazard pattern associated with the ROV-related incidents involved a quarter turn lateral rollover of the vehicle, full or partial ejection of the occupant, and subsequent crushing of the occupant’s head or body by the vehicle. Additionally, it is known that at least 42 percent of occupants were not wearing a seat belt, and 42 percent had unknown seat belt use status. Similarly, at least 53 percent of occupants were not wearing a helmet, while 44 percent of occupants had unknown helmet use status. Reporting for this time period is ongoing; CPSC staff expects to receive further reports of ROV-related incidents occurring in this time-frame.
What I feel is important info is how many sxs's have been sold out there from 2003-2010?

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Amazing logic this country has. You can have a license to fly a glider or balloon before you can drive on the road. Go figure... I guess dropping out of the sky on someone is deemed less important...:confused:

My son still has a provisional drivers license until his 18th birthday on the 22nd of this month. I don't get the logic....

Subpart C--Student Pilots

Sec. 61.83

Eligibility requirements
for student pilots.

To be eligible for a student pilot certificate, an applicant must:

(a) Be at least 16 years of age for other than the operation of a glider or balloon.
(b) Be at least 14 years of age for the operation of a glider or balloon.

b) To be eligible for a recreational pilot certificate, a person who applies for that certificate must:

(1) Be at least 17 years of age;

To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:

(a) Be at least 17 years of age for a rating in other than a glider or balloon.
(b) Be at least 16 years of age for a rating in a glider or balloon.

To be eligible for a commercial pilot certificate, a person must:

(a) Be at least 18 years of age;

To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must:

(a) Be at least 23 years of age;

T-wrecks

Apr 7, 2011
Corona CA
All I can say is you guys better get used to those helmets cause from what I hear on the streets that law is not gonna change.
Nah we will just re title our cars, put big motors in them, ride out of state, or press hard three copies. Off road pursuits will be on the rise.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
All I can say is you guys better get used to those helmets cause from what I hear on the streets that law is not gonna change.
Maybe! But lets wait and see. I'm hearing there is going to be some meetings with ROHVA and some others. Maybe some compromise will be found. Do I think the helmets are going away 100%? Nope. But like I said maybe compromise will be found and other options besides DOT helmets will be offered.

Also I would like to see ROHVA suggest to all these Manufactures that support them, that stronger, thicker walled, non bolted over your head roll cages be built from the factory. Pretty lame that I buy a UTV, and then feel I need to replace their (ROPS) roll cage for a superior aftermarket cage . Also how about factory standard 4 point harnesses? The Polaris factory belts are a joke. Belts are suppose to hold you in the seat with minimal movement. Yet the factory seat belts come with an elastic rubber piece designed to allow movement.

The CPSC statistics seem to show that ejection has been a huge contributor to death. I dont know how much a helmet is going to fix being thrown & crushed. Once again maybe better factory belts would reduce this stat?

Also it would be interesting to see how many of these accidents were using stock safety equipment vs. using aftermarket safety equipment?

poolguy311

Sep 19, 2011
Landscatter,CA
CPSC can suck it. This is all part of the bigger picture in America. They will take away all of our rights if given the chance . WAKE UP AMERICA!!! VOTE THESE CROOKS OUT!! I say good luck trying to catch me. I will ride without my helmet anyways. They need not forget that the citizens run the show.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000