New law requiring helmets in california

Desertcat

Jun 1, 2012
Arizona
Got this email today...

Third Update on the AB 1595 Fix

I'm happy to report that the bill to begin fixing AB 1595 is now in print and available to be read online. The bill is AB 1266. I'm joined by Assemblyman Jim Nielsen and Assemblyman V. Manuel Pérez in authoring this fix. You can view the text of AB 1266 at the following link:

leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_1251-1300/ab_1266_bill_20120823_amended_sen_v98.html

This bill will do two things:

1)$ It eliminates the "feet flat on the floorboards" provision that would prevent children (and short adults) from riding as a passenger in a recreational off-highway vehicle.

2)$ It delays the implementation of the non-factory seating locations provision until July 1, 2013. While I would have liked to do a more permanent fix for this provision right now, that would require committee hearings before the Assembly and Senate Transportation Committees, which are no longer meeting at this point in the session. Both of the committees are aware of the issues with this section of the current law, however, and legislation for a more permanent fix will be moving forward in January. The delay in implementing this section will give plenty of time for the new legislation to be drafted and passed by the next legislature.

I expect AB 1266 to be voted on in the California Senate on Monday, August 27, although there is a possibility that it may be pushed back until Tuesday. I will take the bill up in the Assembly within 1-2 days of it passing the Senate. After the Assembly passes it, it will be sent to the Governor for signature. Because the Senate will be the first chamber voting on this bill, I would urge you all to contact your state senator urging them to support AB 1266. I'll continue to update you at every step of the process, and once again, I'd like to thank you all for contacting my office with your comments and concerns.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman Paul Cook

65th Assembly District
Ok so this is the first version from what I understand.
I am worried in the second version. They say the feet flat on the floor will be removed but what about children being able to grasp the handholds? It would of been nice to see how it is being writen out before they vote this coming week.

38604. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not
ride with a passenger, unless the passenger, while seated upright with his

or her back against the seatback with both feet
flat on the floorboard, can
grasp the occupant handhold with the seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety
harness properly fastened.

Desertcat

Jun 1, 2012
Arizona
Yep. Sounds to me like You Kalifornians with Modified SXSs for your Kids will be having to dump them for 1/2 price and step up and buy a new factory Built Kawasaki or Polaris 4 seater. Sweet. Thats Gonna suck but you Have a year to do it in.:eek:
Oh ya the used UTV market may see a large increase of machines.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
The Dipshit Politicians in Kaliphony might want to Focus on creating some jobs instead of Killing Buisness and Family Fun times. Get Your Xbox out. Lol play some Grand theft UTV.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
ya looks like i will be able to score on a 2 seat long travel rhino or teryx with non useable rear seats here soon. and do a bed delete.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
I just put the finishing touches on an article on this subject for UTV OffRoad magazine. Without giving away the article, I have to tell you the story of AB1595 can't fit in a 1000 word magazine story and is a lot more than most will invest in on a forum.

My research gives me an understanding of a law that started development as far back as 2008. We are our own worst enemy.

If you want to point fingers at the people responsible for AB1595, you should not look at Paul Cook, or Kawasaki, or ROHVA. you should look into a mirror. We are responsible for not being a participant in our government. We are responsible for allowing frivolous litigation, and we are responsible for not telling our peers to not risk their children's life and limb being stupid.

Those that know me understand I am a proud supporter of personal freedom. We have allowed the Bureaucrats in DC called the CPSC to mitigate ourselves into a sterile environment absent common sense.

Sadly it costs money to be in the game, and like the rest of the OHV industry apathy is the rule of the day. I hope the UTV industry takes the road less traveled and embraces participation in matters like this learning from AB1595, because it is here to stay, and will grow to other states if left unchecked.

I believe they are voting today on AB1226.

Make sure you email the parks department, as enforcement is still very much in the air, and perhaps we can affect some changes in that department.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Sitting here sick with a cold and cant sleep. So I called one phone # for each listed below. Left a message requesting a YES vote on AB1266. It was easy as I did not have anyone asking me where I lived and me having to explain why they need to vote YES.

Senator Bob Dutton – Rancho Cucamonga – 916.651.4031 or 909.466.4108 or 951.715.2625
Senator Joel Anderson – North San Diego County – 916.651.4036 or 951.676.1020 or 619.596.3136
Senator Tony Strickland – Ventura – 916.651.4019 or 805.306.8886 or 805.965.0862
Senator Michael Rubio – Bakersfield / Fresno - 916.651.4016 or 559.264.3070 or 661.395.2620
Senator Sam Blakeslee – San Luis Obispo / Coast – 916.651.4015 or 805.549.3784 or 831.657.6315
Senator Ted Gaines – Roseville to Reno – 916.651.4001 or 209.223.9140 or 916.783.8232

Assemblyman Martin Garrick – San Diego – 916.319.2074 or 760.929.7998
Assemblyman Mike Morrell – Rancho Cucamonga / Riverside / Moreno – 916.319.2063 or 909.466.9096
Assemblywoman Connie Conway – Barstow / Visalia / Tulare – 916.319.2034 or 559.636.3440
Assemblyman Katcho Achadjian – Pismo Beach / San Luis Obispo – 916.319.2033 or 805.549.3381
Assemblyman Kevin Jeffries – Riverside – 916.319.2066 or 951.894.1232
Assemblyman Dan Logue – Yuba City areas – 916.319.2003 or 530.895.4217
Assemblyman Chris Norby – Orange Co – 916.319.2072 or 714.526.7272
Assemblywoman Cathleen Galgiani – Stockton / Merced – 916.319.2017 or 209.726.5465
Assemblyman Bill Berryhill – Stockton – 916.319.2026 or 209.473.6972
Assemblyman Jeff Miller – Riverside / San Berdoo – 916.319.2071 or 949.598.7171
Assemblyman Marty Block – San Diego area – 916.319.2078 or 619.462.7878
Assembly Luis Alejo – Watsonville – 916.319.2028 or 831.759.8676

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Call Cook's office and ask where the bill is! 909-790-4196

I did and was told it was still on the committee floor and should be voted through late today! WTF is taking so long? This was suppose to be done days ago. Then tomorrow it has to go back though the Senate Floor to be voted on.

It's going to be real close! I am loosing a bit of faith that this is going to go though.

Either way we need to continue the fight so that next year we can get the whole bill reversed and thrown out. And while were at it we will have to make sure Cook's Political carrier goes with it. When he runs for Congress we all need to support Gregg Imus. If you dont live in his district and cant vote for Imus, then send his campaign $10 or $20.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Well a little bit of good news. The amendments have passed the legislature floor and are going to be signed by the Governor. I know this was not what and how we wanted this bill to be, but at least we got a small part fixed.

Tonight I had the opportunity to talk to Tim Itnyre,who is Cook's Legislative Director and has been involved in getting this new bill written and pushed though. He explained how the Amended bill was originally suppose to strike the rear seat section out, just as the feet on the floor part was. The problem was it would not have been able to be fast tracked though.

Tim said even though this legislation is done until the new Rep's take office. He will still be working on writing two new bills that will be focusing on 1 making the rear seats legal as long as they meet specific safety requirements, and 2 loosening the helmet law. He did not see how it would be possible to kill the whole helmet law, but it is withen reason to open it up and allow other types of helmets like bike, ski or other non DOT helmets.

I wish I could have spoke to Tim week's ago. I learned a lot by talking to him and he seemed very open to hearing what the OHV community would like to see fixed. Then his job is to take what we want and put in legal wording that would be acceptable to the legislators.

MQUnlimited

Jan 31, 2011
SoCal
www.facebook.com
I dont understand why we are "settling". Its my choice if I want to wear a helmet or if my driving warrents the use for one. I DONT WANT TO WEAR ONE AND I DONT WANT TO BE TOLD BY SOMEONE ELSE THAT I HAVE TO BECAUSE SOME JACKASS POLITICIAN SAYS SO! This entire bill can eff itself.

steino411

American Pride
Jan 3, 2011
San Diego
I dont understand why we are "settling". Its my choice if I want to wear a helmet or if my driving warrents the use for one. I DONT WANT TO WEAR ONE AND I DONT WANT TO BE TOLD BY SOMEONE ELSE THAT I HAVE TO BECAUSE SOME JACKASS POLITICIAN SAYS SO! This entire bill can eff itself.
I agree, it should be a choice, especially with a cage and harness on. Who here remembers riding street bikes without a helmet...I do! I totally remember having the same reaction to that law. Funny thing is, I wouldnt even consider riding without it anymore, even if i could. :confused:

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com

Its still your choice, I don't wear a dot approved helmet when I ride my MC, but I am willing to pay for a ticket if I get caught.

The bigger questions is are we willing to continue being regulated by non elected bureaucrats in DC like the CPSC and the EPA and the ECT ECT ECT?

There are some politicians who are trying to help us keep the UTV on the market with this type of legislation. Funny as it may sound we the people have given the CPSC the power to tell an industry it can not continue selling a product like this.

tkrhino

Apr 23, 2012
Its still your choice, I don't wear a dot approved helmet when I ride my MC, but I am willing to pay for a ticket if I get caught.

The bigger questions is are we willing to continue being regulated by non elected bureaucrats in DC like the CPSC and the EPA and the ECT ECT ECT?

There are some politicians who are trying to help us keep the UTV on the market with this type of legislation. Funny as it may sound we the people have given the CPSC the power to tell an industry it can not continue selling a product like this.
Sorry wrong we did not give cspc the power. I don't remember voting for them. If we the people did not vote this org in then we did not give them the power. Also I am tired of hearing if it wasn't for the graciousness of our overlords providing this legislation than we would not have a utv industry. That's simply bull shit! I say if I can't be free for everyone to choose how they want to ride in these utv's then outlaw the production of them. Then what we already have will be legal as it sits just like atc's are. Seems to me some people are happy with getting screwed with just the tip as long as you don't give them the whole shaft!

Reactions: 1 person

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Sorry wrong we did not give cspc the power. I don't remember voting for them. If we the people did not vote this org in then we did not give them the power. Also I am tired of hearing if it wasn't for the graciousness of our overlords providing this legislation than we would not have a utv industry. That's simply bull shit! I say if I can't be free for everyone to choose how they want to ride in these utv's then outlaw the production of them. Then what we already have will be legal as it sits just like atc's are. Seems to me some people are happy with getting screwed with just the tip as long as you don't give them the whole shaft!
Where is the like button:eek: This is the same way I feel about it, as far as Im concerned it is a BAN

mssandslinger

Rhino Parts & Performance - Official UTVUndergroun
Oct 18, 2009
AZ
I hope that the helmet dont restrain visibility. riding a bike whit a helmet is okay because you can move your body but being tied down into a seat with a head rest might make thing harder to see. The whole thing is just ridiculous

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
I hope that the helmet dont restrain visibility. riding a bike whit a helmet is okay because you can move your body but being tied down into a seat with a head rest might make thing harder to see. The whole thing is just ridiculous
i cant drink pacificos out of the bottle with a helmet. i will have to use a camelbak bladder.

jk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000