New to the Underground but not so new to UTVs

BlackDog

Jan 21, 2013
San Diego
Hello all,

Been checking in on the site for a while but was always too lazy to join until now.

Background on myself: I have been off-roading since my early teen years (about 17-18 years ago now). Started on Dirt bikes and raced a little motocross until the siren song of 4 wheels and long travel called to me. Still love MX but got heavy into the building/designing of offroad cars like a lot of 20-somethings in the early 2000's. After a couple trucks, a baja, suspensions, cages, and other such projects, I got a little burned out on always being "a few" more parts away from having something desert ready. I still love working with metal (even if I am still not that good at it!) but was really looking for something ready to roll and reliable.

When UTVs first came on the scene I have to admit I was not impressed. I saw guys dumping tens of thousands of dollars into cars that could not keep up with mild buggies that cost half as much. However years of having various half finished projects in the garage, the idea of ready to run sounded real nice. I walked into a dealership in Jan '11 and was able to score a pretty good deal on a new 2010 Kawasaki Teryx. I had never even ridden in a UTV before so it was sort of a gamble. A week later I was in Ocotillo Wells with it for the first time. I was so wrong about these machines.

First time in the desert with my new Teryx.

Hands down that first ride was the most fun I have ever had offroad. All the motorcycles, quads, long travel buggies, jeeps, and prerunners I had been in before did not compare. OK, I am yet to ride in a full blown Trophy truck but $10,000 vs $250,000 speaks for itself!

Since then I have added PRP seats, Crow 5-points, Muzzy's/MSD, built a new cage and 4" over arms damped and sprung by Fox dual-rate C/O's.
How it looks as of this post.

Still plenty of mods in store as money allows.

And the screen name is nothing more than a screen name I use on another forum. When I was registering I could not think of a name and looked at my Black Lab trying to lay across my lap and went with it.

Sorry, a little long winded of an intro but thanks for reading. And thanks for an awesome site.

Reactions: 1 person

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000