new to utv underground

Goldmember

I'll SHow You How To Stunt - UTVUnderground Approv
Jul 7, 2009
Moreno Valley, Ca
Welcome to the Underground. Its good your doing your research on a quality kit before spending the big bucks. You definitely want to look at the materials being used on the arms themselves. Most reputable builders will use chromolly instead of DOM or mild steel. That alone will make a difference on the purchase price of the kit. Look at material thickness too. I like my Cognito kit because it uses heim joints instead of bushing and that lets me set my toe in and camber to my liking and style of driving. It uses Uniballs instead of ball joints. Uniballs take much greater abuse than a ball joint will. Some builders also use a heim joint inplace of a uniball.

Looks at what axles the builder uses too. I have had a lot of luck with Summers Brothers axles on stock CVs. I would stay away from the non name brand stuff and expecially Gorilla axles. I know too many people having bad luck with Gorillas popping out of the Differentials.

Most builders will also have a shock manufacturer that they already deal with. A good builder will have the shocks tuned to two seater and four seater applications so you can get the best set up out of the box. I personally like King and Fox shocks, but heard good things about Elkas and Walker Evans.

Also know your budget, this will be the ultimate deciding factor. Most long travel kits use a 6 inch or 6.5 inch stroke shocks. Some use a 8 inch stroke with shock towers to push the top of your shock out, these kits give you more suspension travel but are also a bit more pricey. Good luck on your search, a long travel is money well spent on a UTV.

family wagon

White Knuckled - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
Riverside
Welcome to the Underground. Its good your doing your research on a quality kit before spending the big bucks. You definitely want to look at the materials being used on the arms themselves. Most reputable builders will use chromolly instead of DOM or mild steel. That alone will make a difference on the purchase price of the kit. Look at material thickness too. I like my Cognito kit because it uses heim joints instead of bushing and that lets me set my toe in and camber to my liking and style of driving. It uses Uniballs instead of ball joints. Uniballs take much greater abuse than a ball joint will. Some builders also use a heim joint inplace of a uniball.

Looks at what axles the builder uses too. I have had a lot of luck with Summers Brothers axles on stock CVs. I would stay away from the non name brand stuff and expecially Gorilla axles. I know too many people having bad luck with Gorillas popping out of the Differentials.

Most builders will also have a shock manufacturer that they already deal with. A good builder will have the shocks tuned to two seater and four seater applications so you can get the best set up out of the box. I personally like King and Fox shocks, but heard good things about Elkas and Walker Evans.

Also know your budget, this will be the ultimate deciding factor. Most long travel kits use a 6 inch or 6.5 inch stroke shocks. Some use a 8 inch stroke with shock towers to push the top of your shock out, these kits give you more suspension travel but are also a bit more pricey. Good luck on your search, a long travel is money well spent on a UTV.
Welcome to the site !!!! Ramses has pretty much nailed it down on what to look for, I like the look of a box a arm over just tubing but that doesnt mean it is stronger. I have seen the XMF kits get BEAT on and havent seen any prob. So just get well known kit with Summer bros axles....STAY AWAY FROM KITS WITH GORILLAS ! Good luck on the search and let us know what you picked out :D

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
Welcome to the UTVunderground!!!

CHECK OUT MAGNUM OFFROAD!!! This is what I run and the KIT can do some work!!

Recomended Kits: Magnum+6,SDR+6, XMF these are all GREAT PLACES TO GO SHOP!!!!

Offroadswapmeet

rhino951

Red Rooster
Jan 15, 2010
Riverside,CA
thanks for all the input,i know there are kits out their that the builders give you shocks off the shelf that are not tuned for their kits.im glad i joined utvunderground because to make an investment and get a kit that does not work would be very disappointing.

BrianAshby1

SilverBulletXP4 Sucka!
Feb 22, 2009
Menifee, CA
welcome to the site man, what part of 951 you from?

sorry noticed your name had 951 in it lol

good luck on your long travel research, everyone on here is very knowledgable on that kind of stuff you will get good feedbacks.....

probably even start a couple arguements lol

family wagon

White Knuckled - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
Riverside
That's a nice area man ! Hopefrully we will meet up and get our ride on ! I'm always lookin for local peeps to do day runs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000