New Yamaha?

Sport10

Feb 14, 2015
There are so many combo's in regards to tires! This NEW Yamaha is already a game changer for the sport. it will only move forward and be solid mark for others to follow. Not going to sit here and bitch about what if or why that....it's different and it's Not a Polaris! CAN'T WAIT FOR THE UTVWC going to be an even bigger event now.

FullTiltLunatic

Aug 20, 2013
lol you can produce a complete Honda , kia, Hyundai, Toyota, for 20k with atleast a 60k mileage warranty but they cant produce an utv with half the interior no ac no heat for 20kish now that's funny.I bet Polaris makes more profit from sidexside then any of those other manufacters of a car.
Right..... And they produce them in much larger numbers, with smaller profit margins. Which is why Polaris more then likely has a larger profit margin and less total units produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
I think its good to be critical of new sxs's. It's good, real world, feedback for the companies building them. Im not a racer, just a recreational rider. I think Yamaha built this for us boring people and not for future desert racing and so on. I personally would not like shifting for my kind of riding. But, it does look like it would be fun to take one out across the desert and shift like ya stole it!! but, if I was in the design room in Japan, which would look funny me being 6'3" amongst a heard of 4' 8" Japanese engineers, I would be screaming "Put 30's on that bitch!!"

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
Your nuts. Its bigger than the RZR's you guys have been racing for years. The same machines you throw most of the stock crap, including the roll cage away the second you get home. You and a lot of others are just looking for a reason for it not to work. You need to try much harder.
I don't think anyone is looking for a reason that it will not look. Can't anyone post some comments without you blowing them up as a hater? If you want to jump on the fan boy band wagon before anyone actually gets one, be my guest. Yes, you have to remove a lot of stuff from any car to make a racer but 90% UTVs out on the trail or the dunes have stock cages, stock seat. So comments about flat seats or poor cage designs are valid. Its not saying that it doesn't have potential. But please carry on and mock people about how butthurt they are because they made a comment that hurts your ego after you bought one sight unseen.

racer56

Jan 20, 2015
Van Nuys, CA
The Rekluse clutch option will make shifting a non issue for almost all users. Also, the Rekluse clutch will be necessary for desert racing to keep the trans alive with bigger tires.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
You build clutches but don't understand how this transmission shifts? I guess that says all it needs to say right there.

I guess we will also toss out your assessment on the suspension you made from the comfort of you office. 14 inches of travel right? I don't think any of us need to hold our breath waiting for your laptime assessments from you track because I can guess what they will be like. Don't be butthurt because you can't sell any high dollar clutches for this machine.

Just think about what happened today. A factory built SR1 was released with 4wd. I repeat, a factory built, factory finished, warranty supported sport SXS was released today that is as close to an SR1 as could be and all I hear is how we need to wait to see what breaks, its only 112hp, the seats don't look as good as the crap seats that come in the stock XP1 that everyone replaces within minutes anyway and so on.

Last thought is I wonder how long it will take Polaris to lobby for the 5 speed machine that will be capable of 100mph across the dry lakes to be outlawed in BITD. You won't be able to blame Cory for this one when it starts kicking ass in every race series. The way I see it is that you have all been racing a Grizzly/Sportsman/Foreman for the past so many years. Now the YFZ450/TRX450 is out so you will get smoked and quickly.
Polaris has never lobbied for anything. Why does Polaris always get dragged into these conversations when a new machine is introduced... lol

You are making it seem as if you have driven it!? Is it really faster than the other machines out there? Can it outrun a Turbo Can-Am? Does it have better handling and suspension then a RZR? I'm asking honestly because you seem to have everything all figured out here.. Enlighten us. Tell me about your seat time in this machine.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
FWIW. Guy I know who drove it says this: No faster than. RZR XP1000 but feels awesome to hold and shift gears. Also says you can shift without the clutch but the engineers were not happy with him doing that. He also dumped it on its side, they weren't happy about that either.

Reactions: ROTAX

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
FWIW. Guy I know who drove it says this: No faster than. RZR XP1000 but feels awesome to hold and shift gears. Also says you can shift without the clutch but the engineers were not happy with him doing that. He also dumped it on its side, they weren't happy about that either.
But they made a machine that can be 2 utv in one from the dealer pretty smart and it looks like about the same price point too. compete with 1000 NA or compete with 1000 turbo same utv and just like Polaris they patent all there designs to pretty smart. I don't think rear suspension is better then Polaris you can see in video how the rear tires are not touching the ground just like short course guys/girls like it. Reminds me of the can am rear end problems.

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
Very tempting to make the switch , but without a full cage that supports a b pillar that protects the driver I wouldn't get in it.. it spooks me to see how far it goes from A to B without any support especially over the occupants head.

My question is this - say you throw a 150hp turbo kit on it , and you cant regear or in the case of a cvt change clutching , how to you make it so you're not short shifting and constantly changing gears? You'd think the power would cause a gear if not multiple gears to be worthless.

I see yamaha selling the hell out of these things... then selling even more clutch packs...

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i also agree with the clutch packs, and the fact that if you build this engine and turbo it as some on other forums have said the NYTRO motor will do 450hp when its built and turbo'd, with that kinda power it will eliminate the ability to use some of the gears. you will blow right thru 1st and 2nd so fast you cant make the shifter shift fast enough. i think an electronically operated version would be super legit, using an AEM stand alone to control the blow off valve and wastegate and engine tuning as well as an electronic solenoid shifting for you. the AEM will have the ability to sense load and RPM and can kill timing for the split second to allow the solenoid to shift the trans. but thats just an idea and i am sure someone down the road will have all sorts of cool electronics in this thing. in this video you can see many things...

1) the guy uses the clutch once, maybe twice in the whole video
2) almost every single gear change you can see his knee propped up against the door and never moving. meaning he isnt hitting the clutch pedal to shift
3) you can see the clutch pack looks just like a dirt bike clutch assembly, only much much bigger and twice as many plates.

if this is truly a fully manual clutch, like a bike, and you are supposed to press the clutch between every shift, BUT it has the ability to let you jam the gear, its going to smoke the clutch packs in a short amount of time. too much weight, too much load, and too much RPM to jam those guys without using the clutch. they could easily use an electronic system to kill the timing for a split second between shifts so you arent actually having a full throttle powered upshift. i found out years ago after building one of my trucks and playing with the trans tuning, a full throttle powered upshift will rip the material off the plates in the auto trans in a toyota tundra. you have to have the engine cut out for a split second between the upshift, in order for the trans to shift and not be under power otherwise youll wear clutch packs out fast. I dont think anybody knows this info yet, as to how yamaha did it, or how it is, or how it works. i can only speculate and hope they used their heads on it.

and before you yamaha loyalists say yamaha always uses their heads..... how'd that work out for you in the rhinos? how many sets of wet clutches did you burn up? they were so smart they stuffed an ATV engine/trans out of a 650lb ATV and put it directly into a 1300lb SxS and werent even smart enough to re-gear the trans to a lower ratio. which is why the rhinos burnt up wet clutches faster than it used brake pads.

XMICKEYX

Oct 4, 2013
I'm no expert by any means but what's the problem with the cage? Looks very similar to the Wildcat to me... Maybe its a bad design too?

madviking

Mar 15, 2014
I find the transmission design promising. It's separate from the engine, so not only can the lube be tailored for better clutch operation, it won't have engine contaminants nor engine HEAT, it will be far more effective. Heat is the big killer here... the clutch is likely fed lube directly from the pump... so as long as the lube plentiful and cool, the clutch will take more abuse. Heck, a gear lube cooler and even filter should be easy to add.

Reactions: XMICKEYX

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
I'm no expert by any means but what's the problem with the cage? Looks very similar to the Wildcat to me... Maybe its a bad design too?
The b-pillar goes back to the c-pillar , look at the distance from the a pillar to the b pillar and you have a crush zone over the occupants head, the b-pillar on the rzr, mav, cat protects over the drivers head. Maybe this one is different in person but from the pictures it seems dangerous. I'm sure the aftermarket cage guys are already doodling the deigns out .. maybe we can convince them to make a kit to put the OG rhino front plastics on it and get rid of the howard the duck look too.

I hated my wildcats huge front hoop opening , and the first time it took a dive it bent, good thing there folks like IMG that can fix that haha.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
There are a lot of really cool things about this machine that maybe I appreciate because I've seen plenty of grenaded engines and other issues come through our doors over the years.

First, the transmission is badass. It shifts smoother and easier than anything I have ever driven (not a lie - I really didn't expect how well they nailed the trans)....the fact that it's a sequential is even better. Short, buttersmooth throw on the clutch pedal and short shifter means precise shifting. In my SR1 I only use the clutch to shift down....otherwise I don't use it other than to start out in first gear. I haven't tried it yet in the YXZ but I imagine I will be able to do the same. For anyone who is freaked out by a manual shifting sport machine, yes, there is a Rekluse that will be available specifically for this machine.

The cage.....I am pretty sure Yamaha did a ridiculous amount of testing and design work with the cage. There is a lot going on underneath the sun top that you can't see. Most people will be making a custom cage anyway, so it doesn't matter.

This is a dry sump engine with a remote oil tank - just like my Pro 4. This is pretty awesome when it comes to engine longevity....there are baffles in place to ensure that the oil is always picked up and the engine is never starved no matter how many left and right hand turns you make.

The front diff and clutch have designs in place to dampen some of the power hits from the motor to the drive train. This is one of the things that the R1 motor has in it that makes it so good for the SR1s. We don't break chains, and we don't break the tires loose too much on acceleration due to the way the clutch is designed. Having a front differential torque limiter means you can pound through the whoops and jumps without blowing out your front differential due to torque spikes.

The shocks are FULLY adjustable FOX 2.5 Podiums with bottom out cups. This is awesome. You can respring and revalve these to your perfect ride if you can't find a factory setting you are happy with.

The front hood is raked down and low for visibility. I can't wait to run this thing in the dunes because I'll be able to lead for once - lol! In my SR1 and in our XP, I have a hard time seeing over the hood when cresting dunes......in this machine, visibility is much better cresting dunes or hills.

There are dual air filters.....again, as motor builders and fixers of motors that go "boom", it's obvious that Yamaha wants this motor to live for a long time, and has done a good job of including features that will help to make that happen.

Those are just some of the things I liked right away about this machine.....it's pretty badass.

XMICKEYX

Oct 4, 2013
Something else I noticed is looking at the close up pics of the suspension I think I see grease fittings at all the pivot point. That's nice. I know my Teryx doesn't and don't think any of the other Yamaha SXS's have either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000