Official UTVUG LOORRS RD 1&2 Firebird Pics and Results (2011)

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
did Bryan roll the Ol banana in that early pic? it had not ever happened before to that car.

Great job to RJ in his SL 1st and third :)

watched sundays races on SuperLite live, great show.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Watch around min 1:24 and see RJ Anderson get punted off the lip of the jump. Big wreck. Glad he was OK......

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EGQjJMOBaLQ" allowfullscreen="" width="800" frameborder="0" height="480"></iframe>

SIMPSON

Simpson Racing Products - Official UTVUnderground
Mar 12, 2010
wow, I guess that video could start the whole battle again of weather SR1s and Pro UTVs should be on the track at the same time.

Glad everyone was ok!
Sadly, and fortunately without the SR1's there probably wouldn't be be a UTV class. There were only 4 Unlimited UTV's on Sunday and all of them broke....Lucas isn't going to field a class for 4 cars.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Sadly, and fortunately without the SR1's there probably wouldn't be be a UTV class. There were only 4 Unlimited UTV's on Sunday and all of them broke....Lucas isn't going to field a class for 4 cars.

Make that 3 cars, now that it looks like Tyler has dropped out... Although, I think Tyler Parks plans on racing again this year in an XP ?

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010

That is what happens when the rules change to allow 150+hp utv's with 20K motors to run in the UTV class. How many times have we said that unless there is a deliniation for the cars of the last 10 years to keep racing in a competative class, everyone will be dropping out? Where did everyone go? The same place they will be going in every other sanctioning body unless there is a deliniation made. Once again, 800cc or less just like it has always been AND an unlimited 1000cc class or all the other cars will stop coming. We debated this six months ago and everyone's opinion was ignored and here we are.

Best of luck to the three racing and hope they have fun.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
It seems to me that crash was totally avoidable and destroyed a brand new race car.
I agree there is no way to seperate the classes right now but with the difference of speed in different parts of the track I can see why they should be.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Havent been on in a while but I will comment on this one.

First, thanks for the positive comments about my son Cody, it was tough making the first round as were a little less than prepared so winning Sunday was pretty friggin cool, thanks again.

As for the the incident between Josh & RJ unless someone got video of what happened before the jump we will never really know what truely happened. I was looking at the incident through my binoculars while spotting and couldnt tell you how it happened so speculate & second guess all you want, no one can really say for sure and stop trying to make it UTV vs SR1 as making it two UTVs or two SR1's wouldnt have made it any better, all I can say is that Im glad both RJ and Josh are ok.

Also, I think the only guy that is going to run a $20k SR1 engine is Dan Kelly ;) our R1 engine cost $1200.00 shipped to my house right off ebay. The only $20K engines I know of are in the Unlimited UTV's. We had over $12k (before I quit counting) into our old Weller 760, a competitive short course race Teryx engine is close to twice that and realistically, is probablly even more.

Whats really killing the Unlimited UTV class?* Two things IMO the economy, and the word Unlimited which ='s $$$. LOORRS ProLite is going V-8 middle of this year, there is a reason for that and why TORC did it last year, racers in the lower classes are tired of being out spent by deep pockets that can spend cubic dollars to make HP. This is why the SR1 is so sucessful, spec'd, unaltered junkyard engines so it becomes more about driving and set up.

*Forgot to add, what really killed the Rhino class? The Teryx. When that thing showed up it was just a matter of time...

Im not saying one is better than the other, just trying state the obvious. If it wasnt for the SR1 class there would be no UTV's at LOORRS as after one season in an Unlimited I was done throwing that kind of money at a UTV engine (& that was after winning a championship with it), I think everyone else in the SR1 class including recent convert John Dempsy will agree. His dad was done spending that kind of money on engines too.

Sorry for the long response but thats where its really at, you want the Unlimited class to thrive at the short course level, bust out you wallet and show up at the next race, its really that simple.

BTW, there will be four (maybe 5 if Brandons is done) new SR1's at the next round and most likely one less UTV. I feel for Bobby, Chad, & RJ.

wow, I guess that video could start the whole battle again of weather SR1s and Pro UTVs should be on the track at the same time.

Glad everyone was ok!
Make that 3 cars, now that it looks like Tyler has dropped out... Although, I think Tyler Parks plans on racing again this year in an XP ?
That is what happens when the rules change to allow 150+hp utv's with 20K motors to run in the UTV class. How many times have we said that unless there is a deliniation for the cars of the last 10 years to keep racing in a competative class, everyone will be dropping out? Where did everyone go? The same place they will be going in every other sanctioning body unless there is a deliniation made. Once again, 800cc or less just like it has always been AND an unlimited 1000cc class or all the other cars will stop coming. We debated this six months ago and everyone's opinion was ignored and here we are.

It seems to me that crash was totally avoidable and destroyed a brand new race car.
I agree there is no way to seperate the classes right now but with the difference of speed in different parts of the track I can see why they should be.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

With all due respect Rupert. You can either afford to race Lucas or you cant. cc rules make no difference. Even when DFR sponsored a stock class 2 seasons ago no one showed. Last year the class was 800cc max and how many cars were there? fact is short course racing at loorrs is for those willing to spend money and build competitive motors year in and year out. If you want to race an outdated utv then don't expect to be too competitive. Car count sucks but the 1000cc rule has very little to no impact in my opinion.

rupert14

Jan 14, 2010
With all due respect Rupert. You can either afford to race Lucas or you cant. cc rules make no difference. Even when DFR sponsored a stock class 2 seasons ago no one showed. Last year the class was 800cc max and how many cars were there? fact is short course racing at loorrs is for those willing to spend money and build competitive motors year in and year out. If you want to race an outdated utv then don't expect to be too competitive. Car count sucks but the 1000cc rule has very little to no impact in my opinion.
I understand where you are coming from. I was referring to the unlimited UTV's that have 20K motors not the SR1 cars. I strongly support any class that promotes a rule book that brings cars to the track.

I personally will not be racing Lucas in current UTV as I have a car in development based on the car I raced last year in the unlimited pro class and won with. It is also bike motor based, will be 2 seat, and all in solid works just like "Nessie". Every tube is CNC bent and notched which makes repairs in racing much cheaper. I was told that if we get 3 cars together, Lucas will let us run a promotional race. Get five and we will have a class. For short course I will be racing one of my cars along with the 8 orders we currently have for them. I like the UTV's but I like many are tired of spending class 1 money on a UTV. For less $$ done right from the beginning we can have an engineered car that is capable of more and is much cheaper to fix than a UTV motor. You saw the prototype at Saboba. Shad was driving it. They would not let us compete even though redline revolts etc were allowed. We started in row five and by the end of the second lap we were in 6th and closing. Because we were there for fun we backed off and took it to the pits after we had enough testing on our current changes. Nothing broke. I am doing everything I can to promote racing as the car will have a "builder kit" that comes in a box and allows the home racer to weld it up in their garage. Here are pics of the prototype that is rhino based including the weller SR1 drive system and rhino long travel.

I am not saying we need a "stock" class as we all know there are not many people bringing stock rides out anymore. Anyone with a background in racing, especially desert racing, knows that classes are formed as the unlmited cars get faster. How many classes were there in the 1980 Baja 1000? As we realize that technology and cars go faster, new classes are formed to allow all the "class 1" cars of a couple years ago to keep racing, which became "class 12" etc. When I was a kid beam cars with porsche motors were the fastest thing out there, now they are a beginner class.

Joey, I completely agree with your comment on the economy, and how many people like dnf736 gave up on UTV racing because the UTV class is no longer an entry class. Now if you don't spend 20K on a motor, you can't come race. I have some serious $$ in my Teryx and $$ is not an issue to me. I do have a lot of friends with race built rhinos etc that were racing 5 years ago and now they are collecting dust as they are no longer competative and the industry has moved on to faster things. UTV's have been around over a decade now, when are we going to make the first separation in UTV classes to allow the full built race cars in the garages of many racers to come out and race again. I am not saying a stock class is needed, just the first "class 12" in UTV's so we don't limit our industry to only those with "class 1" money to build a new race car every couple years.

I think this is more evident in the desert but I keep seeing it in shourt course just like dnf736 said and I hate to see the rules make all the cars of a couple years ago obsolete. It is good to see a place where all the technology and fast UTV's can come race short course. Hopefully the attrition does not happen in the desert.

Best of luck to the industry and I support all the racers. I also need a sticker for my Teryx as we will be racing the whole BITD season. Any trick to getting one?

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Spot on JoeyD.

if you look at lap times, the SR1s are not that much faster that the classes cannot be mixed like they are, you will have incidents and that has not and will not change.

THE DNS for Tyler will hurt, and with 4-5 UTVs in class it would be very hard to catch up in points.
heck this last sunday if you would have finished with a rhino on the lead lap, you would have won the race. :eek:

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I am a little surprised that there werent any Commanders or more XPS to show up and race the unlimited class.Hopefully with a little more time there will be.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I understand where you are coming from. I was referring to the unlimited UTV's that have 20K motors not the SR1 cars. I strongly support any class that promotes a rule book that brings cars to the track.

I personally will not be racing Lucas in current UTV as I have a car in development based on the car I raced last year in the unlimited pro class and won with. It is also bike motor based, will be 2 seat, and all in solid works just like "Nessie". Every tube is CNC bent and notched which makes repairs in racing much cheaper. I was told that if we get 3 cars together, Lucas will let us run a promotional race. Get five and we will have a class. For short course I will be racing one of my cars along with the 8 orders we currently have for them. I like the UTV's but I like many are tired of spending class 1 money on a UTV. For less $$ done right from the beginning we can have an engineered car that is capable of more and is much cheaper to fix than a UTV motor. You saw the prototype at Saboba. Shad was driving it. They would not let us compete even though redline revolts etc were allowed. We started in row five and by the end of the second lap we were in 6th and closing. Because we were there for fun we backed off and took it to the pits after we had enough testing on our current changes. Nothing broke. I am doing everything I can to promote racing as the car will have a "builder kit" that comes in a box and allows the home racer to weld it up in their garage. Here are pics of the prototype that is rhino based including the weller SR1 drive system and rhino long travel.

I am not saying we need a "stock" class as we all know there are not many people bringing stock rides out anymore. Anyone with a background in racing, especially desert racing, knows that classes are formed as the unlmited cars get faster. How many classes were there in the 1980 Baja 1000? As we realize that technology and cars go faster, new classes are formed to allow all the "class 1" cars of a couple years ago to keep racing, which became "class 12" etc. When I was a kid beam cars with porsche motors were the fastest thing out there, now they are a beginner class.

Joey, I completely agree with your comment on the economy, and how many people like dnf736 gave up on UTV racing because the UTV class is no longer an entry class. Now if you don't spend 20K on a motor, you can't come race. I have some serious $$ in my Teryx and $$ is not an issue to me. I do have a lot of friends with race built rhinos etc that were racing 5 years ago and now they are collecting dust as they are no longer competative and the industry has moved on to faster things. UTV's have been around over a decade now, when are we going to make the first separation in UTV classes to allow the full built race cars in the garages of many racers to come out and race again. I am not saying a stock class is needed, just the first "class 12" in UTV's so we don't limit our industry to only those with "class 1" money to build a new race car every couple years.

I think this is more evident in the desert but I keep seeing it in shourt course just like dnf736 said and I hate to see the rules make all the cars of a couple years ago obsolete. It is good to see a place where all the technology and fast UTV's can come race short course. Hopefully the attrition does not happen in the desert.

Best of luck to the industry and I support all the racers. I also need a sticker for my Teryx as we will be racing the whole BITD season. Any trick to getting one?

If you want to get "all those" race cara back out then have "all those" guys first show up to a regional where they can all compete. The regional series will let just about anyone race. So many people Internet jockey complaining about rules or money or whatever but never have any intention to even show up. Not saying you of course as you do build and race but many just want to complain. Fact is Lucas is the elite. Guys are spending coin to go fast and we need that. Economy just limits us on how many are WILLING to do that. Again, if you want more classes then organize the racers who will fit in a new class and show up at a regional and prove that those guys are legit enough for the big show.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Everyone has an opinion. The fact is Doug Mittag was launching his car and I took a picture of it...........

rupert14

Jan 14, 2010
If you want to get "all those" race cara back out then have "all those" guys first show up to a regional where they can all compete. The regional series will let just about anyone race. So many people Internet jockey complaining about rules or money or whatever but never have any intention to even show up. Not saying you of course as you do build and race but many just want to complain. Fact is Lucas is the elite. Guys are spending coin to go fast and we need that. Economy just limits us on how many are WILLING to do that. Again, if you want more classes then organize the racers who will fit in a new class and show up at a regional and prove that those guys are legit enough for the big show.
Yeah, I guess you are probly right. Lucas is for the elite and that is that. It is good to have someone running the short course elite series that brings out the 20K motors. I tried to run my car at the local series and they told me it would not tech. That is why I decided to build my own production car.

In short course this is the case. In the desert I think there is more room for a separation in classes as more people will come to a desert race where they get to race for hours and not minutes. It is so much more fun to race with a lot of cars even if they are not all in your class. I am just wishing we could have 75 utv's at a race like we did three years ago in snowflake. Those days are over until we get this economy turned around.

I still strongly believe a separation in the desert classes would bring more out, but that is for another thread.

JakeJean

Mar 10, 2011
Youtube has a video of Anderson's crash. Thank god these cars are built as strong as they are a no one was injured.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000