Official UTVUG LOORRS RD 1&2 Firebird Pics and Results (2011)

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Yeah, I guess you are probly right. Lucas is for the elite and that is that. It is good to have someone running the short course elite series that brings out the 20K motors. I tried to run my car at the local series and they told me it would not tech. That is why I decided to build my own production car.

In short course this is the case. In the desert I think there is more room for a separation in classes as more people will come to a desert race where they get to race for hours and not minutes. It is so much more fun to race with a lot of cars even if they are not all in your class. I am just wishing we could have 75 utv's at a race like we did three years ago in snowflake. Those days are over until we get this economy turned around.

I still strongly believe a separation in the desert classes would bring more out, but that is for another thread.
Did you try to run your Teryx or your single seat buggy that is not even a UTV

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
the main question is how do you get more pro utvs out there, it doesnt matter what level your at. not trying to be bad guy but if utvundeground had only 4 guys on here you would be asking same question. my answer would be find a level playing ground. street bike power is here to stay but utv maybe not. ex restrict street bike motors maybe carb plates to make only 100 horse. ex utv 1000cc but restrict motor to 100 horse. now you have a level playing field. iam pretty sure you can make a safe 100 horse with out blowing up motor and reasonable price.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
The only way to get more utv is to make it more affordable. But I guess people miss the point that limiting the unlimited cc is not the way to do that. Building the car is only one aspect. I could build the car but I can't afford to enter every round, repair the car every round, fuel the tow rigs and motor homes and the race car eat and feed a teAm etc. Racing loorrs is an expensive series period. But it is the best of the best. Unless the economy turns we may only have a couple more years of a utv class anyway at loorrs. Sr1 may make it but then you can kiss any chance of manufacturer involvement goodbye.

Anyway thread hijack back to the awesome round 1 and 2 discussion

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Did you try to run your Teryx or your single seat buggy that is not even a UTV
My truck is a production Trophy Kart elite with a title and vin. The only part that is changed is from the back of the seat backwards, at which point it is rhino with suspension, gear one hubs, weller drive etc. It is definitely not a UTV, but is as much of one as a redline revolt, honda pilot, etc. Lucas told me to build a few more and bring them out and that is what I am doing. I have solidworks drawings of the original production car coming out this week, and the prototype full production car will be out in about a month. It has trailing arms in back, A-arms up front, great travel, can be powered by any bike motor, and will be much lighter than most SR1 converted rhinos.

I don't want to run in the same class as the UTV's as I don't think that is fair. What if there was a builders kit that would allow someone to buy a complete self aligning chassis to be welded up in the garage, use any streetbike motor that could be had from craiglslist, and buy additional componets as the funds allow (shocks, seat etc) for a total build cost of around 13K? There may be no market for this but either way I will have one.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
The only way to get more utv is to make it more affordable. But I guess people miss the point that limiting the unlimited cc is not the way to do that. Building the car is only one aspect. I could build the car but I can't afford to enter every round, repair the car every round, fuel the tow rigs and motor homes and the race car eat and feed a teAm etc. Racing loorrs is an expensive series period. But it is the best of the best. Unless the economy turns we may only have a couple more years of a utv class anyway at loorrs. Sr1 may make it but then you can kiss any chance of manufacturer involvement goodbye.

Well said. Great racing.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
My truck is a production Trophy Kart elite with a title and vin. The only part that is changed is from the back of the seat backwards, at which point it is rhino with suspension, gear one hubs, weller drive etc. It is definitely not a UTV, but is as much of one as a redline revolt, honda pilot, etc. Lucas told me to build a few more and bring them out and that is what I am doing. I have solidworks drawings of the original production car coming out this week, and the prototype full production car will be out in about a month. It has trailing arms in back, A-arms up front, great travel, can be powered by any bike motor, and will be much lighter than most SR1 converted rhinos.

I don't want to run in the same class as the UTV's as I don't think that is fair. What if there was a builders kit that would allow someone to buy a complete self aligning chassis to be welded up in the garage, use any streetbike motor that could be had from craiglslist, and buy additional componets as the funds allow (shocks, seat etc) for a total build cost of around 13K? There may be no market for this but either way I will have one.
\
it really sounds like you built a Dezert lite and that is the class you would race in IMO with a 600 cc limit.

or put it back to what it was and get the adult TK class going that fell on it's face. more peeps would prob enter the adult TK class for waaaaaay less $$$

as long as it is not a spec chassis from one builder and has a stock 250-450 motor with weight limits IAW the motor size. This would be great for the regional series and could lead to full Lucas racing.

hunter1

Feb 4, 2010
I am not one to voice my opinion on the forums, but I feel on this one I should.

First off, I would like to make it clear that I have no issues with the unlimited class or any driver in the utv class. I am not sure what exactly happened, but I believe I clipped R.J.s left rear wheel with my right front. It was not on purpose nor was it intentional, nearly a misjudgment. I feel terrible about the outcome of the event and the end result. My intention was not to "PUNT" R.J. off the jump or even touch him. I spoke with R.J. later in the pits and I will apologize agian to him and his team. It weighs heavily on me and would not with this upon anyone.
Luckily R.J. was ok, and was able to go on and dominate in the Super Light class.

R.J. if you need to get hold of me for any reason. Tyler Herzog has my number.

For those of you that feel the need to voice your opinion about the event. CARREY ON........

Reactions: 3 people

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA

Continued hijack

Everyone wants manufacturer involvement, they already are involved and it’s not working. They can’t sponsor every team that wants to race...can they?

Honestly I think Factory involvement hurts us.

Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt Kawi already sponsor Funco & Bobby through Monster Energy Kawasaki? Polaris takes care of RJ, thats three teams and by coincidence the only teams left standing. Where’s Can Am? If they were serious they would be there, same with Cat or John Deere, infact Deere was approached by a prominent builder to develop the Gator for LOORRS and were turned down so go figure. With enough money thrown at it that 3 cylinder would kill...

You want the UTV's to grow people are going to have to step up and spend money against the Factory supported teams and thats what were lacking here.
Lotta talk, no money...kinda like the State of California......:D

Here something to look and take your minds off of it, at least for a little bit and congrats to day one winner Corry Weller, she did pretty good too a well as John Dempsy, both making the box both days.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgwtZIkhM1A&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - Round 2, at Fire Bird Race way[/ame]

Anyway Im done, Ill go away now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Well that could of been disaster in the first turn of the first lap!!!

Pot calling the kettle black ehh?!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I am not one to voice my opinion on the forums, but I feel on this one I should.

First off, I would like to make it clear that I have no issues with the unlimited class or any driver in the utv class. I am not sure what exactly happened, but I believe I clipped R.J.s left rear wheel with my right front. It was not on purpose nor was it intentional, nearly a misjudgment. I feel terrible about the outcome of the event and the end result. My intention was not to "PUNT" R.J. off the jump or even touch him. I spoke with R.J. later in the pits and I will apologize agian to him and his team. It weighs heavily on me and would not with this upon anyone.
Luckily R.J. was ok, and was able to go on and dominate in the Super Light class.

For those of you that feel the need to voice your opinion about the event. CARREY ON........
Josh I think most would see this as a pure racing accident. I was in the booth announcing when it happened and to me it looked like hard racing ending in a competitive accident. Sr1 and unlimited utv on the same track held no bearing in my opinion. I think this could have been 2 sr1 or utv easily that got into each other. It was unfortunate for sure for both of you.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA

+Rep

BOBONTHIS

#64 PRO UTVUNDERGROUND RACER - UTVUnderground Appr
Jan 27, 2009
Mesa, AZ
It was a great weekend of racing. We had some unfortunate accidents & out of control collisions but we must see the positive side, we all came home on our own two feet. Thanks for all the support from my friends, colleges, & sponsors, without all of you this would not be possible.
I must give special thanks to my sponsors; Monster Energy Kawasaki, Muzzy Performance, XMF, Rhino Parts & Performance, UTVUG, Walker Evens, Gear One, R-N-R STEEL RACING, Fatography, & EPI. Taking Home a 2nd & a 1st this weekend was Awesome. Crazy way to win on Sunday but I'll take it any way they come. Special thanks to my wife & family for all their support as well. See picture below of my wife giving me her version of a pep talk. If you only knew what see said you would do whatever it took to get first too:eek:

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Josh I think most would see this as a pure racing accident.
X2...glad both of you were OK. Awesome weekend of racing! I'm sure Greg will chime in at some point, but we (LSR) were feeling good about the car until a roll caused the engine to sieze...A LOT of work Saturday night and Sunday morning got us back out there and a respectable 4th place.

It's always good to see everyone at the track and all the help with tools/support to get us back out there is always appreciated!

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009

When I used the word punt I was not implying that you took him out or anything. Its a racing accident that may not be anyone's fault. Anyways here are a couple pics of RJ.

Zerofield

Pit Junky - UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 13, 2009
Arizona

if anyone wants to say bad things about Dan Kelly just watch this video one driver almost takes out have the field. not just one or two drivers...

anyways it was a great week. Code Killed it on Sunday! pulled away from everyone. hope that they cant do that more this year...for a father son team that is running on the same motor and hardly break parts they put it down out there.

can't wait for speedworld when the 1000cc unlimiteds are beating the SR1's

Rander637

The Worlds Fastest RZR's - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 22, 2009
So Cal
Gesh, Im a little late on the thread action, sorry Joey! Hahaha

Firebird was a great showing and overall we are pleased with where we sit with the XP right now. We brought a (for the most part) all new car to the racetrack with not a lot of knowledge on how it was gonna perform and did pretty well out of the box, considering we were competeing against some cars who have multiple years and even championships under there belt.

By the end of the weekend we picked up I believe 2.5seconds a lap from where we started the weekend so I believe in the car, and we have the whole season to prove it;)

Unfortunately our race-to-race testing time isnt where we hoped it was gonna be. I got together with Josh after the restart on Sunday and ended up getting the car pretty good. It appears to be mostly fixable so hopefully we will have it done in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the positive superlite comments you guys! I really appreciate it and had a lot of fun.

See you guys in Speedworld!!!!!!!

Rander637

The Worlds Fastest RZR's - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 22, 2009
So Cal

Hey Josh,

I know this comment was mainly intended towards everyone else but I do appreciate you coming over and apologizing to me as well as my team after the incident. I see it as just a racing deal and definately dont hold any hard feelings against you. Sorry if I seemed short for words when you came over to apologize, I was just a little shaken up and was thinking about my next race.

Hope to see you back at it in speedworld!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000