Official UTVUnderground 2013 King Of The Hammers Photos and Story

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
We had a blast out at Hammers this week. I headed out on Tuesday to meet up with the UTVUnderground and La Familia crews! It was awesome to roll into camp and see Jagged X, Crowdog, WallyWorld, Muzzys, Vanbeekum, Brian Bush, Todd, and the entire La Familia crew all in the camp! Of course this is just a few names as plenty more would arrive including Rusty, Dan Fernandez, and of course the Mad Media crew.

Tuesday was spent setting up and then traveling to Hammertown to go BS with everyone and let them know that we had arrived!! hahah

Wednesday was a blast. UTVUnderground had a total of 6 filmers and 3 photographers with us taking video and photos. We spent the day meeting with racers, doing interviews, and then filming a BREAKDOWN video with my Kawasaki T4 and Team Green Reid Nordin's T4! That was a blast. We mobbed our T4's up a couple rocky trails and then did some cool set up shots with them. We spent the evening hanging around the campfire having drinks, telling lies and then headed out to Chocolate Thunder and Backdoor to check out all the guys wheeling their rigs around in the dark. We set a brief game plan for our days filming on Thursday during the UTV race and called it a night.

Thursday came fast and with UTV's shooting off the line at 9am we knew we had to be up early. Part of our crew including myself loaded up and headed to the start line to film and photo the start. Our other crews headed to RM48 Sandhill and to a few other parts of the course. Once the cars left we jammed over to the Sandhill ourselves to catch the leaders through.

The Sandhill was an interesting scenario. We have shot here before at the race back in 2010 so we knew it was going to be a great spot. Its the first real obstacle for the racers who just ran about 47+ miles of desert whoops. NAATV Brandon Sims was first to arrive but he had beat his car pretty good getting to the lead in the desert so he arrived with some damage. Same for many others who were proud to have passed so many in the desert but arrived with bent tie rods, clicking CVs and jacked up rear links. Others showed up and smoothly motored right on up and out.

I was hoping to be able to shoot everyone go up the hill but many of the racers decided to wait in a line at the bottom of the hill instead of challenging one another for the lead and going for it. I guess UTV guys are nice! lol I gave a few of our racers crap because they could have easily passed 10 cars who were "waiting their turn" to go up. I know a few guys won't do that again! lol ITS A RACE, NOT A SOCIAL HANGOUT GUYS!! hahaha Well after waiting we had to move along so that we could beat the leaders to the next spot which for us was Aftershock. We took a fun ride to Aftershock, about 10 cars in total with us flying through JV chasing the race! SO MUCH FUN when you are able to work with all your buddies. Usually I am chasing a race with just our film crew so to be able to have our crew and our posse in tow together is a real blast! We made fun of the back trails to get to Aftershock. After shooting the first 6 or so UTV's through we made the decision to split to make sure we could catch the leaders again as they hit Chocolate Thunder. So we headed out and had another awesome run back over to CT.

At Chocolate Thunder we were able to witness KOH history as we watched the top 3 Guthrie, Crowley and Enochs run up the hill like nothing! They passed jeeps in the EMC race like they were obsolete old machines and made easy work of the popular Hammers trail. From their we made the ride back across the lake bed to make sure we were at the finish line to greet these guys as they came in.

It was awesome to be able to see Mitch, Mitch Jr, Crowley, Blake and the Team Nasty boys all roll into Hammertown on time. I had a fun conversation with Dave Cole who also was just blown away at how well these 3 guys did. When the race concluded we celebrated with the racers and the entire UTVUnderground Familia! We cleaned up and headed back over to Hammertown to the SXSPerformance party where Todd Stephensen of Wildcat Willys proceeded to feed me what felt like gallons of Moonshine! lol We had some laughs, some beers and some good times then headed back to camp to finish the night off right! I got fed some more moonshine by La Familia who then sent me back to bed with a buzz like no other. lol

Waking up on Friday in time for the start of the big race was not as easy as I would have liked thanks to Thursday nights shenanigans. BUT, like champs we all made it up in time to head back to the Sandhill to catch all the big boys through there. From there we made dust back across the lake bed and it was COLD! The weather rolled in and we thought for sure it was going to rain and snow in JV but it held out. We shot the rest of the race and watched Campbell and the Slawson brothers roll in during the big race.

We pulled out that night for the 2 hr trip home. I want to thank a few companies and people for making this week awesome! Rugged Radios and PCI Race Radios both made sure our coms were working in top notch and added the UTVUnderground channels to all of our radios at NO CHARGE! Mike at Axia Alloys for surprising my T4 with a SICK new Axia Fire Extinguisher mount. I would like to thanks IMG Motorsports for getting my T4 wrapped up in time to get out to Hammers with it. The T4 is a BEAST in the rocks and was the ultimate machine to have out at the Hammers. Thank you to Dan Fernandez for shooting photos for us and the Mad Media crew for holding us down once again with the sickest video work EVER!

Thank you to all the Underground for rolling out to hammers and representing and of course, thank you to each and every racer who runs our colors on their machines!!

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
We had a blast. Went to chocolate thunder. Jack hammer. Scored a red wristband and drove the utv into hammertown compound daily and nightly. :)

Kevlar

dunechaser1 - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 8, 2009
Visalia, Ca
www.dunechasers.com
The effort that all the UTV racers put in, and not just the 3 finishers, is going to be HUGE in transforming this sport from a recreational hobby to mainstream racing! Let the sponsorship's begin! :D

Last edited:

loco

Loco Time - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
Placerville, CA
Wow, seems like people think the UTV's are the reason for so many DNF's and it was the UTV's that clogged up the trails. Umm, I don't think so. If I remember it was all the EMC's clogging up the course at the sand hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTSH

Aug 23, 2011
Bad A$$! so want to give this a shot! Thanks for the pics, thumbs up the the finishers and good job to all the drivers and teams!

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I read the whole thread on Pirate. Heybeerman sounds like he has it right, the guys that got stuck behind utv's didnt have a chance anyway. Wish I could have been there! I like there emoticons. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
I sat up at the top of the desert section, RM24 and watched the herd of UTV's come through, some great racing was going on and the pace was much faster than the EMC rigs, I had no doubt the EMC rigs were gonna get mixed in early given the pace of UTV's in the desert section.

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
Heybeerman is my co-dog Blake!
Heybeerman is still eating Advil's like they are M&M's

I did not follow a few of the simple rules my good friend Columbus lives by.

Mainly: Rule #1 "Cardio", and Rule #18 "Limber Up".

You could throw in rule #14 "Always carry a change of underwear" but that was after the race.

Mitch G

2009-2010-2012 King Of The Hammers UTV winner
Feb 14, 2010
Hey beer man, My 16 year old was bouncing of the walls the next day. Then raced this weekend. to be 16 again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000