Official UTVUnderground 2016 Baja 1000 Update Thread

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
The wow for me is two UTV's beat all the class 12 cars, all the class 1600 cars and all but 1 spec TT. High Five to Polaris for building a bad ass machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfpack

Nov 20, 2016
Any info on Cafro and crew would be appreciated. I see last ping on tracker yesterday and the trail stops there.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Congrats on the points championship to the whole Murray team. It's hard to believe it came down to a tie with us again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
Congrats on the points championship to the whole Murray team. It's hard to believe it came down to a tie with us again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Thanks Justin! You cannot understand how we at Murray Racing feel to finally get a Championship.......after all the years of coming up 1 or 2 points short after the last race of BITD or SCORE.

Congratulations to all UTV teams for the incredible growth in number of entries, intense competition and most importantly, the friendships that have been developed. Viva golf carts!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
And just to clarify, yes Polaris is the sponsor of coverage but if another brand was up in the front pack we would naturally be posting and sharing that. I can only post what I see with my own eyes.
What about the brand that won the championship? I Just watched the awesome coverage on the UTVUG Baja 1000 video. I heard and saw lots of Polaris chatter, but don't recall hearing mention or seeing video of any mfg. other than Polaris. Sorry, but gotta call foul there Joey. C'mon, you know you would've liked to preface the video referring to the points lead a Polaris team had coming into the event, but that would require acknowledging the actual points champion at the end of the video.
Hey Murray bros, while you're down there, can you check the oil level on that bus! Lol! As competitive as this class has become, you guys continued racing your own race. I'm glad to see that your more conservative racing strategy finally paid off. Congratulations to you, but moreso, your small and faithful crew who have been with you forever. I know that gomrgo is your biggest fan. He must be stoked. Yeah brr brr! Polaris schlomaris.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
What about the brand that won the championship? I Just watched the awesome coverage on the UTVUG Baja 1000 video. I heard and saw lots of Polaris chatter, but don't recall hearing mention or seeing video of any mfg. other than Polaris. Sorry, but gotta call foul there Joey. C'mon, you know you would've liked to preface the video referring to the points lead a Polaris team had coming into the event, but that would require acknowledging the actual points champion at the end of the video.
Hey Murray bros, while you're down there, can you check the oil level on that bus! Lol! As competitive as this class has become, you guys continued racing your own race. I'm glad to see that your more conservative racing strategy finally paid off. Congratulations to you, but moreso, your small and faithful crew who have been with you forever. I know that gomrgo is your biggest fan. He must be stoked. Yeah brr brr! Polaris schlomaris.
I could defend this nonsense but I won't. Reason is, it doesn't matter. Everyone knows what I do, knows why I do it, and knows where my heart is. You weren't there when I spoke with Jason Murray before the race, you obviously haven't read my PUBLIC posts and congrats to them and ALONSO LOPEZ WHO WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP IN HIS RZR IN N/A CLASS AND DIDN"T MAKE THE VIDEO EITHER! lol

Get off your couch Reid and get back to the races so you can actually know whats happening before you just start throwing out your he said she said BS. lol

Hope all is well.

Reactions: dezertBandito

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Here was the LIVE feed I broadcast from our helicopter during the finish of the Baja 1000. You will see, I captured the heart breaking moment when Matlock broke and Rhys over took the physical lead. Again, this was LIVE on our Facebook page and while it was a sporadic idea to this and was not polished, you can imagine why everyone was so stoked to be watching this as you rarely ever, maybe never, have got to witness LIVE Baja racing from a helicopter feed. So stoked to have done this.

Reactions: Glamisfan

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Championship hopes for Marc are slimming down quite a bit. He's currently in 18th position, and still not moving at RM 81 with over 2 1/2 hours down time. Assuming he finishes the race in his current position, Cafro could steal the points title by finishing 5th or better. He's currently running in 3rd place, 21 miles off of the lead car of Matlock. It's going to be tight if Marc can even make up enough ground not to get clocked out later in the event. It is very likely that Cafro only needs to cross the finishing line in the allotted time to win the title. From what I understand, Marc bent the rear of the car up pretty bad. Evidently, over 2 1/2 hours bad. If Cafros "spotters" are on the ball, they'd be strategizing their efforts based on the current status of his competitors, for it is now Cafros championship to win.
So the story that didnt really get talked about was Burnett and Cafro and the points race.... Burnett is still pinging on the tracker as moving, actual almost back to Ensenada. But Cafro hasnt pinged in 7 hours.... Did he finish??
I was talking about it on page 4. No one seemed interested. I was tracking the race at home for both Johnny and Marc. Marc needed a 4th place finish to guarantee the championship. Once he started having major down time, Cafro only needed finishing points to snatch the title from him. HUGE game changer. Marc controlled the championship leaving the starting line, but as soon as he broke, and lost 2 1/2 hours on the initial repairs, the control swung over to Cafros team. At that time, Cafro (impressively) was running a strong 3rd. I posted Marcs hardships here, knowing that Cafro was primed to take the points away if he could just finish the race. I don't know what DNF'd him, but I assume backing way off the pace that he was running couldn't have hurt his chances.
Knowing where and how strong your competition is running is a crucial part of any teams racing strategy. I expect had Cafro known these details, he would have backed off (or not) in order to bag a championship. He's gotta be bummed. I wish I could have saw the look on gomrgo's face when they (Team Murray) learned that the top 2 points contenders were out, or at least waaaay back.
A bit about Marc's hardships: When communicating with Marc's crew chief during the event, here's what he told me regarding their state of health:

"
A Short race update .here Is, in no particular order Parts that we replaced.
7 axles ,3 hubs .2 Shocks ,3 rear hubs .2 Trailing arms ,2 drive flanges ,3 Blake lines,3 lower and 2 upper radius rods,3 bent wheels, we rolled once, bent light , 1 primary clutch., 15 broken Bolts ,2 broken sway bar links, and we still have three hundred and some-odd miles to go"

That's verbatim from one of his text messages to me.
Wow! That's a lot of shit!

Last edited:

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
I was talking about it on page 4. No one seemed interested. I was tracking the race at home for both Johnny and Marc. Marc needed a 4th place finish to guarantee the championship. Once he started having major down time, Cafro only needed finishing points to snatch the title from him. HUGE game changer. Marc controlled the championship leaving the starting line, but as soon as he broke, and lost 2 1/2 hours on the initial repairs, the control swung over to Cafros team. At that time, Cafro (impressively) was running a strong 3rd. I posted Marcs hardships here, knowing that Cafro was primed to take the points away if he could just finish the race. I don't know what DNF'd him, but I assume backing way off the pace that he was running couldn't have hurt his chances.
Knowing where and how strong your competition is running is a crucial part of any teams racing strategy. I expect had Cafro known these details, he would have backed off (or not) in order to bag a championship. He's gotta be bummed. I wish I could have saw the look on gomrgo's face when they (Team Murray) learned that the top 2 points contenders were out, or at least waaaay back.
A bit about Marc's hardships: When communicating with Marc's crew chief during the event, here's what he told me regarding their state of health:

"
A Short race update .here Is, in no particular order Parts that we replaced.
7 axles ,3 hubs .2 Shocks ,3 rear hubs .2 Trailing arms ,2 drive flanges ,3 Blake lines,3 lower and 2 upper radius rods,3 bent wheels, we rolled twice, bent light , 1 primary clutch., 15 broken Bolts ,2 broken sway bar links, and we still have three hundred and some-odd miles to go"

That's verbatim from one of his text messages to me.
Wow! That's a lot of shit!
Polaris shit.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
BAM, Thanks for acknowledging our team and yes I'm stoked! The Murray Brothers and the rest of the team are also.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Haha. Touche' Joey! I never was one to harp on you for the content of your race videos. Ive always been on your side when the accusers would slam you , claiming you're biased. I know where your heart is. I've seen you interact with racers enough to know that you are pals with most all. Your enthusiasm and love for the sport is evident by your actions. .I don't have to see you congratulating the Murray's to know that you are stoked for them. But, it is a Polaris video, and they would rather not brag about another mfg. winning what should have been their championship. Had either two of the top contenders won the title, I'm pretty sure there would've been mention, or most likely boasting of it in the vid.. Alonso is the unfortunate one in that his championship wasn't even acknowledged in a Polaris backed video presentation. Wow! Hey Murray Bros. move over. Alonso's gonna give you a hand checking that oil!! Haha!! LOL!!
Get off the couch. Haha! I'm still grinning on that one. You are a good man Joey. A funny man, but good as well!

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I am sure there are a couple teams who were bummed to find out Jagged X wasn't tracking. Running a pace to salvage a 3rd only to find out "Baja Casper" was in the lead pack the whole race. Lesson of the day "Race for the win and Baja will sort out the rest".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000