All UTV's OPEN LETTER TO ENGINE SHOPS/KIT SUPPLIERS

FBT

I want to humbly point out a few things I see about the industry, that, well, bug the crap out of me. It may just be me, but here goes.
This is directed at all of the shops that supply engine big-bore kits, do head work, etc. Having spent time on all the usual suspect forums, I see all of you commenting regulary on big block kits, head work, making dyno claims, and offering up the engine kits.
Most of you have websites.
Before I blast you, here is where I am coming from. I am 52, and while I have built a few engines in my day, and spend my days playing in my nice, well equipped heated shop, I don't have alot of interest in doing the bend-over work on the powerplant in my Teryx. I know there are a number of folks just like me, who, for whatever reason, might consider paying you'all to do the 840 install, or whatever engine upgrade beyond a bolt on that we want done.
You guys all list prices for the kits.
Few, if any, of you have a price list for doing the install of your products at your shop, and then offering options such as a dyno session for tuning carbs, etc.
I know of at least three of you guys who do this kind of stuff, but there ain't a lick of detailed info on your websites.
Weller Racing used to have some installed prices, but I cannot find them anymore.
I suspect that some of you spend hours answering the same questions over and over about doing the install, how much for that, how much to do the clutch while you are in there, and oh, yeah I want you to dyno my carbs and get them just right....pointing out on your shop website that you are ready and able to support your parts with installation would seem only logical.
I know that labor in a shop ain't cheap, and nobody expects it to be, but if you had a labor rate listed or a few basic "installed packages" out there that people could tweak with various options it would be nice and might give customers ideas that would put more money in you pockets.
People shop on the internet, the more information they can gather without getting on the phone and tying up your time the better. If they can get the basic numbers down on the net, when they call you they have already have a basic idea of what they want to do, and know how much it is going to cost. They will need less hand-holding on the phone and only need to work out the options etc.
Many of us don't live in SoCal, or close to any of the shops who do this work, and would have to plan a long tow to get the work done. I think those folks would find working with a shop that is willing to come right upfront on their website about engine builds and options an attention-getter.
Just a suggestion guys, perhaps spending a few more bucks with your web designer and going indepth with some of your more popular builds and options would be worth the effort.

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
Most of the vendors on the usual sites work on quality not price. People who are just looking at websites for price are typically not looking for the best job, but the best price. I've been in the utv business and the price shoppers aren't the customers you want.

Listing a few options sounds good, but in the end your gonna have to make a call and discuss what your wanting out of the engine. Woods, dunes, short course racing, desert racing, family truckster driving? They'd all be different.

Also why tell your competition what your price is. Its just a phone call away for you the consumer.

None of the usuals like benchmark, Weller, pro shop, dasa, racers edge, Pcp, Kms operate like summit racing, there all custom shops.

FBT

AZ I think most of the shops have reputations established that draw folks to them or people have friends who have already bought a products as well.
While price is not everything, people looking at a kit that has a price listed are going to have a base number to work with price wise.
I agree on the option list being long and prices there might not be neessary, just tell the customer what is available.
Look at Smeding Performance, Jon Kasse, all the other engine builders in the Hot Rod world that list prices of short blocks, long blocks, cylinder head and piston options, all the way to turn key engines.
It works in the hot rod world just fine.
Those long phone calls still happen, but the customer is much better informed about the shop and the work available when they do.
The competition knows the prices... believe me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000