Yamaha PDM vs Sheave HELP!

ChaseThisToo

My Other Car is a Class1 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
So Cal
I had a machined sheave before and liked it. When I did the 686 I switched to the PDM race clutch. The stall and the high rpm dont bother except in camp when its rev'd out and I feel like I'm not going anywhere. The other things that bugs me is when my wife drives it she just likes to cruise. The PDM doesnt really work to well for that.

Here's my question...if I went back to the machined sheave would I regret it? My rhino gets used primarily in hard packed desert. I take it to Glamis but its used little.

I would love to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks!

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
A simple spring change in the clutch might help Do you know what color spring you have now? The spring in the Comet clutch, not the secondary.

The only regret would be the takeoff will be slower with a machined sheave. The dry clutch is great at getting power to the ground instantly.

ChaseThisToo

My Other Car is a Class1 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
So Cal
I cant remember the color. I'll look when I get home.

I like the launch but i'm not racing so I dont know if I'd miss it.

SoCal

I'm a Toy Haulin Hooligan - UTVUnderground Approve
Jan 16, 2009
Orange Ca.
Whats the top end difference between the two? I did the KMS sheave way back when that was all there was and havent followed the clutch thing since.

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
Whats the top end difference between the two? I did the KMS sheave way back when that was all there was and havent followed the clutch thing since.
Same with the race versions, a little less with the sport. The sport is slightly smaller that the stock sheave.

With some work to the secondary and a belt from a suzuki quad I have picked up 7mph with my 4 arm comet from PDM. Thats 7 mph over a machined sheave or the 3 arm comet. Just did some cam timing work that will hopefully get me 1-2 more mph top end. The 4 arm is a bigger diameter clutch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000