Polaris Backed RZR-S Team

bmzero

Sep 5, 2010
My company, Octane Media, has been fortunate enough to finalize a deal with Polaris and ATVScene.com to run a 2011 RZR-S at the King of the Hammers UTV race.

The RZR-S has already been delivered and is sitting in my shop now. We're starting the build ASAP.

Build plans - super light weight, long travel, minimal cage/doors, aluminum body protection, minimal engine mods, no co-driver, lots of luck, heavy skinny pedal.

The following sponsors are on board so far:
- Polaris
- ATVScene.com
- OctaneMedia.com
- EVS-Sport.com
- Maxxis
- Hostyle Racing

The team will be called Octane Race Team (ORT). We will also be competing in the 2011 ECORS (East Coast Off-road Racing Series) series. They are adding a UTV class for 2011. The ECORS series will provide a unique opportunity to bring some West Coast style high speed racing to the East Coast. Most of the UTV racing here is constrained by the trees. However, the ECORS series runs on fire roads and faster rock sections. It will be a great opportunity for West Coast manufactures to sponsor an East Coast team (hint, hint) and bring some publicity to their products in an entirely new market.

Just to give you guys some background about me, I raced GNC MX for about 15 years, but desert racing is new to me. I've attended the last two years of KOH and I refuse to spectate for another year. :cool:

I will probably be building my own cage (4130, TIG) and doors.

Please let me know any sponsor suggestions you have. We are good at pimping products!

thanks,
-brit

Reactions: 1 person

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Welcome to the site Brit and thanks for posting! We will be glued to this thread as we have been to a few others here surrounding KOH. I think you should use that $200 GC to Magnum to have them lace you up with a serious cage!!!

Thanks again for posting up!!! We have some amazing sponsors on the site so make sure to hit them up!

bmzero

Sep 5, 2010
No Co-Driver? What if you need to pull cable?

Welcome to the forum!
Might want to ask the guy who won last year, by himself. :D

It's a gamble either way. That decision is not set in stone at this point, but I'm still leaning toward a solo race.

If I have to pull cable, and I'm sure I will, I'll just have to make the best of it. I may be new to desert racing, but I was a professional ATV racer in a past life. In my experience, the only way to win is to practice everything, including pulling cable. Oh yeah, and you have to be lucky, too. ;-)

-b

bmzero

Sep 5, 2010
I got an email from Damon at HCR yesterday. He said King was done with the shocks and they were almost done with welding the arms. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks parts will start trickling in. I'm ready to get this thing going.

-b

bmzero

Sep 5, 2010
What's the best GPS to mount in this thing? Obviously, Lowrance, but which model?

Thanks,
-brit

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Lawrence re introduced the 540c just recently. They did this becuase of consumer demand for the original 540c which was a popular GPS. They also did this becuase of the complaints they recieved about the 540HD GPS. While the HD verson is great in the larger screen formats in the smaller 5" like the 540 sports in caused for a lot of clutter and confusion. The detailed maps were too detailed if you will and caused for a hard to read screen. Hence the return to the origional 540c format with some new features. The link I posted above is for the newer version 540c not the HD.

Hope this helps. I got this info while looking at the new 540c at the PCI booth.

bmzero

Sep 5, 2010
Lawrence re introduced the 540c just recently. They did this becuase of consumer demand for the original 540c which was a popular GPS. They also did this becuase of the complaints they recieved about the 540HD GPS. While the HD verson is great in the larger screen formats in the smaller 5" like the 540 sports in caused for a lot of clutter and confusion. The detailed maps were too detailed if you will and caused for a hard to read screen. Hence the return to the origional 540c format with some new features. The link I posted above is for the newer version 540c not the HD.

Hope this helps. I got this info while looking at the new 540c at the PCI booth.
Thanks, Joey. Hopefully I'll be able to get my grimey mitts on some of these at SEMA and really get the feel for the differences between the two units.

bmzero

Sep 5, 2010
I just got confirmation from OMF that they will be supplying the beadlocks for this vehicle. I have been running OMF beadlocks for about 150 years on the quads, so I'm pumped to still be working with them on this project.

bmzero

Sep 5, 2010
Update:

King coilovers came in today. The rest of the suspension should be here by the end of next week.

I also spoke with the promoter for ECORS (East Coast Off-road Racing Series). I have been hearing a lot of rumors that they are going to have a UTV class next year. I think they're going to let me come out to their next race and compete in one of the existing classes as sort of an exhibition. That way, we'll know how well the UTV's compete for next season. I'm hopeful that this series could spark some growth in East Coast UTV racing. The courses are arranged for a Jeep Speed style vehicle, so the UTV's should have no problem traversing the obstacles. The last ECORS race is on November 13th.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000