Polaris Polaris Transmission Modification

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I'm sure allot of people here have experienced or saw a Polaris Transmission bearing fail including mine. I've changed all the bearings to higher quality but this is new to me. Check this out and tell me what you think.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
It's his "fix". I like it, but it would be much better if it was pressure rather than gravity fed. Mainly because if you're on an incline or off camber, there's no oil flowing. For duners this is awesome.

Reactions: crazywatson

crazywatson

Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
You could add a pump but you relying on the gear flinging out to fill the reservoir. I'm not sure how fast it could fill. Fist time I saw this yesterday.

crazywatson

Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
It is his idea he came up with after a bearing failing even after he changed to a high quality bearing. So this must have been his 3rd transmission. I saw it on a utv page.

Last edited:

HeadPorter

Mar 15, 2016
Zero reason to do that. It's a splash style transmission, and there's no pump to pump it through that line. Get rid of the Peer bearings, and the AGL and you won't have any issues. The way that the cases are designed, the areas to pool oil behind the bearings are too shallow on the NA transmissions (deeper on the XPT trans) and AGL is like water so it doesn't stay in or behind the bearing well. Hence why it seizes the right side idler shaft bearing up and blows the side case out.

Helical gear transmissions need gear oil. I've yet to have a bearing failure in 100+ builds with Koyo bearings and Mobil 1 75-140.

Reactions: crazywatson

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Zero reason to do that. It's a splash style transmission, and there's no pump to pump it through that line. Get rid of the Peer bearings, and the AGL and you won't have any issues. The way that the cases are designed, the areas to pool oil behind the bearings are too shallow on the NA transmissions (deeper on the XPT trans) and AGL is like water so it doesn't stay in or behind the bearing well. Hence why it seizes the right side idler shaft bearing up and blows the side case out.

Helical gear transmissions need gear oil. I've yet to have a bearing failure in 100+ builds with Koyo bearings and Mobil 1 75-140.
Now this I like! The heavier weight will also help to carry heat away. Why aren't they using a gear oil? Drag? Foaming? Just curious...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000